Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Fall Family Shots

Huffy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fall Family Shots

Just a dad trying to snap some photos of his girls. Here are some of our fall photos! Advice / critiques welcome!

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4] (she didn't think climbing it was a good idea)

[5] (behind the scenes bribery, can't bribe babies unfortunately)

[6] (crop of above, thought it was funny to see how she nibbles on the candy bar)

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:17 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fall Family Shots

The lower camera angle of #1 & #2 makes me favour them, with #1 being my pick for best of the set.

There seems to be some variation in the skin colours of the older girl.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:01 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fall Family Shots

G'day mate,
A lot of us start like this, taking photos of our kids. A couple of cuties you have there.

It looks like these weren't posed and you went for a natural look, which is fine.

May I suggest as Jim mentioned that you get down to their level and shoot from there. Also shoot from a distance with a lens shot close to wide open to get a smooth OOf background and isolate the little ones so they're the main thing that stands out in the frame. A focal length of 85mm and over would be ideal.

Keep at it and your results will get better. Your half way there with two beautiful kids.

Regards
Bud

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:14 PM

Huffy

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fall Family Shots

Jim Rickards wrote:
The lower camera angle of #1 & #2 makes me favour them, with #1 being my pick for best of the set.

There seems to be some variation in the skin colours of the older girl.

My wife always tells me I need to take lower angle shots! Several of the pictures had bad lighting / color. It looks like I was a little off on the post-processing.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Huffy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fall Family Shots

bbourizk wrote:
G'day mate,
A lot of us start like this, taking photos of our kids. A couple of cuties you have there.

It looks like these weren't posed and you went for a natural look, which is fine.

May I suggest as Jim mentioned that you get down to their level and shoot from there. Also shoot from a distance with a lens shot close to wide open to get a smooth OOf background and isolate the little ones so they're the main thing that stands out in the frame. A focal length of 85mm and over would be ideal.

Keep at it and
...Show more

Thanks! They must take after my wife. I mentioned to her that you two said to take lower shots...I'm pretty sure I'll be getting slaps to the back of my head when I'm taking photos from now on.

I've been thinking about adding a 24-70 to replace the 28-75, but maybe I'll add a 70-200 first instead. I suppose I could get an 85mm to tide me over while I wait or just use my 100mm macro.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Javier Crespin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fall Family Shots

my advice: watch the hands and feet-keep them in frame

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password