FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · paypal protection

Robin Usagani
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · paypal protection

I am about to drop quite a bit of money on FM buy and sell. It is my first rodeo. He has positive feedbacks but he has not been active lately. No website or fb page. I am just a little worried. If I send the money via paypal, am I really that protected? See the highlighted part below. It sounds like I am only protected if I buy it via ebay?? This is what it says:

13. Protection for Buyers.
13.1 Types of Problems Covered. PayPal Purchase Protection (also known as PayPal Buyer Protection) helps you if you encounter either of these problems:

You did not receive the item you paid for with PayPal – “Item Not Received” (INR), or

You received an item you paid for with PayPal but it is “Significantly Not as Described” (SNAD) (as described below)

If your problem is a transaction that you did not authorize, please use this form to report the unauthorized transaction.

An item is “Significantly Not as Described” if it is materially different from what the Seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:

You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the description when you bought the item said “new” and the item was used.
The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in its description when you bought the item.
You purchased three items from a Seller but only received two.
The item was damaged during shipment.
An item is not Significantly Not as Described if it is materially similar to the Seller’s item listing description. Here are some examples:
The defect in the item was correctly described by the Seller.
The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
13.2 Eligibility Requirements.

To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

Pay for the eligible item from your Account.

Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.

Send the payment to the Seller through:

the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or

the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or

the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.

Open a Dispute within 45 Days of the date you sent the payment, then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution. For Pay After Delivery transactions you must open your Dispute within 45 Days of the date of your transaction.

Have an Account in good standing.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · paypal protection

Have him invoice you.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · paypal protection

If you pay with your credit card in paypal your CC should provide you all the standard protection. AFAIK.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · paypal protection

Yes, Paypal only protects you for sales via ebay, and NOT for sales through other sites like FM, Gumtree, Craigslist

At least that's the case in Australia.

I learned that one the hard way

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · paypal protection

Then why not just pay with paypal gift?

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · paypal protection

Paypal protection is fairly useless.. Main reason to use regular Paypal is to use a CC

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · paypal protection

Interesting.. I thought you were somewhat covered by paying the standard way ie. 3% and if you payed with the family/friends option you were not covered. either way, paypal sucks.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:55 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · paypal protection

As far as I understand you can dispute any PP transaction. Its not just for ebay. I use PP in my Etsy store.

45 days to dispute it. You can file as "item not described". You can just call them to know for sure, you'll usually get someone on the phone in a few minutes.

If you pay via your own credit card through Paypal you can always do a charge back anyways for back up.

Ive used Paypal for 13 years with no issues. All credit processing companies have issues...

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:12 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · paypal protection

NYstyles wrote:
As far as I understand you can dispute any PP transaction. Its not just for ebay. I use PP in my Etsy store.

45 days to dispute it. You can file as "item not described". You can just call them to know for sure, you'll usually get someone on the phone in a few minutes.

If you pay via your own credit card through Paypal you can always do a charge back anyways for back up.

Ive used Paypal for 13 years with no issues. All credit processing companies have issues...

+1

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:49 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · paypal protection

NYstyles wrote:

Yup.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · paypal protection

There is less protection as a seller than there is a buyer. Paypal knows that if you paid via CC for an item, you can do a chargeback and paypal will be screwed...well, they'll just remove the funds from the buyer. So, PayPal (like all CC companies) will almost always side with the buyer.

I'd feel safe about paying via PayPal through a CC, but I'd rather just find a reputable seller in the first place.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.