Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

Newtonite

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

I took my measly slow DX zoom (18-70mm) to a kids' rock climbing today. At the 50-70mm range where I ended up shooting the most, I had to work with f/4.5, and it simply didn't cut it.
When I came home, I looked for what I should get for next time at an indoor venue like that. I think it comes down to a fast f/2.8 zoom or a fast prime like 50mm f/1.8 or even f/1.4.

A fast zoom would be versatile in a close quarters, but I'm not sure if f/2.8 will be fast enough. It's only a stop and changes faster than f/4.5.
A fast prime will restrict my composition, but will be fast enough.

I'm leaning towards a prime, because at least you will have a properly exposed picture and you can work around the composition and make a head-and-shoulders shot, if you can't back up, or crop later, if you can't zoom in. Which would you go with if you didn't have enough cash to buy both?

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:10 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

You haven't said what body you are working with. Depending, it may be possible to find one with improved high-ISO performance.

The Nikon 50/1.8 is dirt cheap and gets you in the range.

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:20 PM
Newtonite

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

MalbikEndar wrote:
You haven't said what body you are working with. Depending, it may be possible to find one with improved high-ISO performance.

The Nikon 50/1.8 is dirt cheap and gets you in the range.

Sorry. D40. I know, it's not the best high-ISO performer. But I'm not sure if upgrading the body will get me more low light performance than buying a faster lens, dollar-for-dollar.

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:24 PM
mguffin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

Newtonite wrote:
Sorry. D40. I know, it's not the best high-ISO performer. But I'm not sure if upgrading the body will get me more low light performance than buying a faster lens, dollar-for-dollar.

The D90, which is old, at ISO3200 is as good if not better than the D40 at ISO800. You can get a refurb for <$600. I wouldn't buy a $600 lens to make my D40 perform better, I'd get a $600 body to make the glass I have 2 stops faster.

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Newtonite

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

mguffin wrote:
The D90, which is old, at ISO3200 is as good if not better than the D40 at ISO800. You can get a refurb for <$600. I wouldn't buy a $600 lens to make my D40 perform better, I'd get a $600 body to make the glass I have 2 stops faster.

Ok, if I'm going to upgrade, then I could do better than D90. But one thing that I really like about the D40 is its electronic shutter and high sync speed, which I think is not available in D90.

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:48 PM
jeffryscott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

First, what focal length were you primarily shooting at with the 18-70? Was it long enough, or were you cropping to fill the frame? Also, what ISO were you using?

If the focal length was close to good enough, either a 50 1.8 or 85 1.8 would get you in the neighborhood for a relatively low price. Since you have a D40, you will need to get a modern AF-S lens. An AF-D lens won't autofocus as the D40 does not have a built in motor.

Also, what is your budget? Used, the 50 1.8 G can be found for under $200. The 85 G is about $400. A fast zoom will be considerably more.

As you shoot more and get into more difficult lighting situations, a fast lens is great. But if you find yourself shooting in situations like this more often, and if you have the budget, a D3000-series or D5000-series will provide better high ISO performance (and better overall performance).

For the price though, I'd probably start with the 50 1.8, well regarded lens that becomes a 75mm equivalent on the D40 ...

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Newtonite

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

jeffryscott wrote:
First, what focal length were you primarily shooting at with the 18-70? Was it long enough, or were you cropping to fill the frame? Also, what ISO were you using?

If the focal length was close to good enough, either a 50 1.8 or 85 1.8 would get you in the neighborhood for a relatively low price. Since you have a D40, you will need to get a modern AF-S lens. An AF-D lens won't autofocus as the D40 does not have a built in motor.

Also, what is your budget? Used, the 50 1.8 G can be found for under $200.
...Show more

I was shooting mainly in the 50-70mm range. ISO almost always 1600 because the camera couldn't go higher. No, I wasn't cropping to fill the frame.

My budget is, I'm willing to spend up to $350 (which will get me a used Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8).

How better are D3000 or D5000 ISO-wise? How many stops?

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM
mguffin
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

Newtonite wrote:

Ok, if I'm going to upgrade, then I could do better than D90. But one thing that I really like about the D40 is its electronic shutter and high sync speed, which I think is not available in D90.

I wasn't recommending the D90, but for the price, the performance increase will be noticeable... Any D3X00 or D5X00 would be better still, and the D7100 would be in another galaxy... The other problem is that if you get a new body, you will want faster glass anyway... NAS...

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
jeffryscott
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

Newtonite wrote:
I was shooting mainly in the 50-70mm range. ISO almost always 1600 because the camera couldn't go higher. No, I wasn't cropping to fill the frame.

My budget is, I'm willing to spend up to $350 (which will get me a used Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8).

How better are D3000 or D5000 ISO-wise? How many stops?

The 50 1.8 would certainly provide a needed boost in speed, and $350 will certainly get you there (even get you a 35 1.8 used if you go used on the 50.)

As for how much better a 3000 or 5000 series camera is, I don't know. But I do know it would be noticeable.

If the D40 does most of what you want now, get some lenses. As you grow as a photographer, you'll get a better sense of whether it is the lens or the camera holding you back. In most cases, it will be lenses, but there comes a time when a body is just outdated and has limits you are pushing up against (in this case the ISO 1600. Faster lenses will buy you a little more time with the body, but will be there when you upgrade cameras.)

The Tamron 2.8 would give you some breathing room with the D40 ISO limit of 1600 (make sure it is compatible and will autofocus with the D40) and if the price is right would be a good start (although I know nothing about the lens, but constant aperture lenses like that tend to be pretty decent).

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Indoor sports action lens: fast zoom or faster prime?

I would get a used D7000 here (about $500), sell the D40, and get one or other (or both if you want) of the 50 or 85 1.8s, possibly the used D versions instead of the Gs. I happily used the 50D on the D70, D90 and D7000 and would recommend any camera of the D7000's generation over earlier cameras for general purpose use.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.