FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Itsed65
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

First time posting photos here, so a quick introduction. I lost a leg in an accident a few years back, and after being forced to retire from the Air Force, and generally learning how to live in a whole different way, I ended up adopting two kittens. Not being satisfied with the pictures my point and shoot was delivering of my kitties (Lenny and Carl who my flickr page are named for, My name is Ed), I bought a Canon 40D.

Well that started things! I had experience with 35mm film, as I traveled all over the world as a crewmember and used to carry a 35mm Minolta with me, but hadn't shot seriously in a number of years. Shooting my kitties was just the start. I love shooting transportation, wildlife, landscapes and birds among other things. Everything I photograph is taken from a wheelchair or my car, which puts some limitations on how close I can get, but I do my best. Over the past 5 years I have accumulated more knowledge and techniques (and of course GEAR!), but am still very much an amateur.

This past 3 day weekend, I rented a 500mmf4 MKI from lensrentals and took it to 4 different wildlife refuges, and then to Pt Reyes National Seashore. Living in the bay area of northern California puts me right in the middle of all kinds of opportunities. Thought I would share a few pics from my adventures for a first post.

First day was at the San Luis NWR near Los Banos California, which has a Thule Elk reserve as well as a wetland on the property, and then up the road a bit to the Merced NWR.
1.Tule elk bull

Majesty by lennycarl08, on Flickr

2. Three Bulls

Three amigos by lennycarl08, on Flickr

3. White faced ibis

White-faced Ibis by lennycarl08, on Flickr

4. A wary kestrel

Kestral on 1 foot by lennycarl08, on Flickr

5.Great egret

Great Egret at San Luis NWR by lennycarl08, on Flickr

6. The strangest pose I have ever seen on for a red-tail

This guy wasn't going anywhere by lennycarl08, on Flickr

7. Front view

Red-tailed hawk in an unusual pose by lennycarl08, on Flickr

8. Sandhill crane

Sandhill Crane at Merced NWR by lennycarl08, on Flickr

9. Red-tailed hawk posing for me

Merced NWR by lennycarl08, on Flickr

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:38 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome Ed!! This is a fine set of images. Very well captured, with good detail. A couple seem to be a little off kilter for being fully horizontal. The raptors are my faves of the set, but the Ibis also looks real nice, and the elk are good too.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
braam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome to FM Ed. This is a great introductory set. I like the SHC with good color. on the head and body. Keep shooting and posting.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:13 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome to your new support group Ed... an addiction by any other name is still an addiction.

Very impressive set to introduce yourself, I can tell you love photography and you have good processing skills too.
Very well done, and you'll have a great time in this wonderful community.

Kirk

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:25 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome Ed, you are off to a nice start here. These are all nice, with the last two my picks ~ Ron

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome Ed,
You're in good handsin the Nature forum, lots of kind, generous & knowledgeable photographers here. I like your sandhill crane a lot, it is very nicely composed. I also think that your first red tail is really strong.
Regards, bruce

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Superb photos Ed. Welcome to FM.

Morris

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

welcome to the forum. Shot #1 is my pick of the bunch. Keep them coming!

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:33 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

lovely first post Ed

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:23 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome, Ed. Very nice images. As you have found, a vehicle makes a great mobile blind. When you are in a vehicle, many animals will let you approach much closer than they would if you were on foot--your crane and hawk photos are good examples of how well this works.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work---John

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Itsed65
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Thanks all for the nice welcome and comments! I'm just about done doing post on the rest the shots from my too short time with the 500mm. I went to Pt. Reyes on Veteranns Day and was treated to a ton of raptors still migrating, as well as the northern tule elk herd. When I get time I will put some up. Again, thanks

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:15 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Very nice set Ed.

Difficult to pick favourites as they are all very good, but I'll go with 3, 7 and 8.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Paul.

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Great introductory set, Ed. Keep 'em coming!

Greg

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:23 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Welcome to FM Ed, you're gonna have some fun here
This is a super set of images, well captured one and all. I might have cropped the Kestrel image to show less of the post and no wire, but that's just me. I can see you are on the slippery slope to being hooked
David

Nov 19, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

@Ed,

First thanks for your service. I and many others are appreciative of your sacrifices and there are many. It really takes a special person to step up for so many.

Second, welcome to FM and you will soon see why so many find it a pleasant and rewarding place to be. Great experiences and positive friendship building for sure are found here.

Way to go finding so many opportunities with such a variety of subjects. I bet it was a whole lot of fun. At the end of the day, we are all somewhat ameteurs because we strive to get better and always seem to be in pursuit of the next best effort. We grow as a group as well by helping each other. Hope you enjoy your time here

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:19 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Reeftank1 wrote:
@Ed,

First thanks for your service. I and many others are appreciative of your sacrifices and there are many. It really takes a special person to step up for so many.

Second, welcome to FM and you will soon see why so many find it a pleasant and rewarding place to be. Great experiences and positive friendship building for sure are found here.

Way to go finding so many opportunities with such a variety of subjects. I bet it was a whole lot of fun. At the end of the day, we are all somewhat ameteurs because we strive to get better
...Show more

Couldn't say it better. Welcome Ed and great first post.

George

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:50 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

I also want to thank you for your service and sacrifice.

But these are great shots! I especially like the hawk and ibis images, but all are good.

Have you been to the refuges up north of Sacramento yet? They are amazing, you should check them out. There are several--Colusa, Delevan, and the SNWR. In the winter there are literally hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese plus assorted other birds, some land mammals, and increasingly, bald eagles are hanging out there.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:49 PM
Dave_McGowen
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Form one Veteran to another, welcome to FM. I'm also relatively new here and I've found it to be a very welcoming forum, as I'm sure you will. Especially like your Red-tailed Hawk and Sand Hill Crane images.

Dave

Nov 21, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Itsed65
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

cohenfive wrote:
Have you been to the refuges up north of Sacramento yet? They are amazing, you should check them out. There are several--Colusa, Delevan, and the SNWR. In the winter there are literally hundreds of thousands of ducks and geese plus assorted other birds, some land mammals, and increasingly, bald eagles are hanging out there.

Colusa and Sac were day two of my lens rental weekend. Future post to come

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · San Luis and Merced NWR's

Wonderful set, Ed.

Great to have another NorCal shooter on the forum. I hope to see you out there one day, and I look forward to more posts from you.

Jim

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.