end

Archive 2013 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

I was hoping that would be taken as humor.....as it was meant

jdc562 wrote:
According to theory, "totally seeing" the toxic frog benefits the toxic frog. If an animal is toxic, it pays to advertise, like the poison-dart frogs do with their bright colors and patterns. (Many toxic butterflies do the same.) It harms a toxic frog if it is injured or killed by a predator because the predator didn't recognize that the frog was a toxic species. And it harms the predator to receive the toxins. So, the toxic frog benefits by by being easily recognized and not attacked, and the predator benefits by recognizing and avoiding the flashy toxic frog. This phenomenon
...Show more

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Nice set, interesting banter

-Tim

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

I find it interesting how this topic continues to strike a nerve for some Americans. Not only is evolution by natural selection accepted theory throughout the world, it is the glue that holds all disparate areas of biology together.

BTW Greg, I caught your smiley face and knew where you were coming from. As one who studied monarch butterflies and plant choice for depositing eggs (oviposition), I am more than familiar with the concepts of warning coloration (aka aposomatism), as they are bright orange and black.

@ jdc562 in response to Charlie, I think Charlie was also more than aware of the body of evidence and the theory that describes the evolutionary process, his was more a tongue-in cheek reference (noting the emoticon).

Regarding "gobledigook (spelling?)," nothing I've written is a departure from the basic premise of the mechanisms behind natural selection. As for the person who commented on the theory, I'm not sure where he was heading with his reference to computer systems, thus my desire to respond.

At any rate, thank you to all who looked at the photography and chose to comment on the images and add to the discourse.

If you are interested in poison dart frogs and their rather unique biology, I've written a few short (sourced) blog posts on the topic. I often write about ecology and evolution on my blog as this is an alternate way that I can encourage discussions in the classroom.

The following is a post on Oophaga pumilio (red and blue poison dart frog). Interestingly, these frogs feed their developing offspring maternal eggs (thus the name Oophaga, where "Oo" is the root for egg): link: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2013/07/costa-rica-2013-oophaga-pumilio.html

My second link is on the life cycle of Dendrobates auratus (the frog pictured at the top)… of course embellished with images: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2011/08/life-cycle-in-rain-forest.html

regards,
bruce

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:55 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

I am enjoying this post Bruce. As someone who studied biology and from a photography standpoint. I get the intention of your post and really like the fresh approach you took in creating a post. Well done

While in Africa observing animals while photographing so many evolutionary ideas came to mind. For me this post is well timed

Tim

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Interesting post. Just love #1.

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:42 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Really interesting set, love the frog and the toucans.

I agree with you that there is nothing like observing nature to deepen the understanding of evolution though the discussions in the thread are interesting in this regard too!

It's great your using your photographs to help teach biology classes.

Paul.

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Hey, Bruce, keep 'em coming. (Beautiful images presented in the context of evolution, that is)!

I loved the tree analogy so much that I had to do a bit of reading...looks like Keel-billed and Chestnut-mandibled toucans had a last common ancestor about 4 million years ago; if you're in the mood for post-processing, maybe add a White-throated and Cuvier's toucan on the branches just above the Chestnut. Cuvier's and White-throated are almost kissin' cousins, with a last common ancestor in the last hundred thousand years or so (although I doubt anyone would really want to kiss a toucan).

Oh, and the Aracari...that's at least another 6 million years, maybe over on the alternative gear forum!

Great set, Bruce!

Greg

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:12 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Plinian wrote:
Hey, Bruce, keep 'em coming. (Beautiful images presented in the context of evolution, that is)!

I loved the tree analogy so much that I had to do a bit of reading...looks like Keel-billed and Chestnut-mandibled toucans had a last common ancestor about 4 million years ago; if you're in the mood for post-processing, maybe add a White-throated and Cuvier's toucan on the branches just above the Chestnut. Cuvier's and White-throated are almost kissin' cousins, with a last common ancestor in the last hundred thousand years or so (although I doubt anyone would really want to kiss a toucan).

Oh, and the Aracari...that's
...Show more

Thanks for the additional information on the toucans. I was really excited when both species landed on different branches of the tree. The analogy is a simply perfect for introducing concepts relating to phylogeny and divergence. I'm not much of an image manipulator, but if I ever get a shot of Cuvier's toucan, I'll have to do a bit of playing.

Thanks for looking.
regards,
bruce

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:01 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Very nice set!!
I give a up for the first two!!!
BeeBalm

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:56 PM
dondiego87

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

Love the idea for this post, and the shot of the chestnut-mandibled and keel-billed toucans is fantastic. I've spent some time in both Costa Rica and Panama, and those two species seem like old friends.

Unrelated — I'm doing my PhD in EEB, although here that's "Ecology & Evolutionary Biology." One of my friends is doing work on the ecology, evolution, and encoding of quantitative traits in tiger swallowtails. I'm not working on evolution, or birds as my post might have suggested, but it's always fun to find a fellow EEB-er!

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
leoliu

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

I like it.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:46 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Evolution in nature… images & a great idea

What an interesting post, Bruce.
The images are excellent and the added info makes them even better.
Thanks for sharing.
Chris

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.