Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Former, and I guess current film shooters often refer to a preference for Fuji Velvia. Never tried it myself,. As some may know I recently acquired a Fuji X-Pro1 which has the capability for in-camera processing jpegs for variety of Fuji films.

Thought I'd trot out several of the Velvia flavor to see how they match up with your preferences and recollections of the real thing. The captures are from a Fuji X Pro-1 with micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 lens; since the lens and body do not communicate, the Exif reports f/1.0 (I wish!) and I did not record other than to say something between f/2.8 and f/4.0.

Also, given the focus of the forum is Critique despite our tendencies to become mired in all sorts of arcane post-processing matters, Eric Kim (who posted for some time on Black White Vision) has a series of articles addressing major elements of composition for anyone who might be interested. You can find the first installment here. Links are embedded at the right hand frame of the entry page for his blog.

Regards,

Bob

X-Pro1    55mm    f/0/0    1/250s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    55mm    f/0/0    1/250s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

X-Pro1    55mm    f/0/0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #2 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Bob,

The first and second are my favorites due to the framing and bokeh. I feel the 3rd has possibilities. I love the texture but I feel that the composition can be improved, wish I could offer a suggestion on improving the image but I don't know what you have to work with in regards to image 3. The 4th image is ok but,the last image the oranges and red tones are quite beautiful but the image reminds me of when I point the camera down and snap a picture by mistake. The color using the Velvia simulation is fine and works really well as it pertains to the red, orange and yellow spectrum of colors, I feel the blues and greens are a little over the top for my taste.

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Oregon Gal wrote:
I feel the blues and greens are a little over the top for my taste.

Wondering how much of that is due to the cool/cyanic lighting being "amplified" by Velvia profiling with a bit more response in the blue/green wavelengths.

These look a bit overcooked to my taste, even though I was a long time Velvia shooter. Wondering if this is the Velvia profile applied only to the RAW's alone, or are the jpgs in combination with other in camera (or pp) processing?

I'm specifically wondering if when you use the in camera "Velvia" profile, you may need to dial back the contrast/sat a bit, especially if you've got them tweaked up a bit to go along with your regular profiling.

I've always been a detail junkie. I shot Fujichrome 50 because it was the finest grained film available (in E6). While the Velvia colors are well known as "vivid" (likely their most well known signature aspect), they retained incredible detail with rich color.

Took out some cyan/blue and lowered some sat, with a slight boost in levels and gamma.

Here's the tech sheet on Velvia (note gamma curve at bottom) if interested. Noting the response curve profile diffs @ R,G,B and the recommendation for 81A filter correction for overcast light to daylight WB. It looks like Velvia gives a boost to B&G for daylight balance, the extra blue of overcast lighting can then be a "double blue" boost ... hence my reduction in cyan/blue.
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/professional_films/pdf/velvia_50_datasheet.pdf

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Nov 18, 2013 at 03:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Barbara and Kent,

Thanks for your thoughts and informative comments. And yes, cloudy, blue/gray overcast sky

Just curious how faithful the representation is to the film Velvia. Really does not matter in the final analysis since we are inclined to modify all to suit our, or a community of viewer's tastes. Plus, we are bombarded with the vibrancy and crispness of electronic devices to depart further from reality.

Thanks again,

Bob

And, FWIW, Kent's rework is closer to natural, the original jpg closer to the result I expected. and hope for with the red-green play

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

I'd suggest shooting the Velvia setting in Sunny 16, clear sky lighting to get a good evaluation of how the Velvia profile compares to the Astia, Provia or "normal" settings.

Getting the look we are going for is always totally subjective, but trying to assess Velvia profile in blue light might be a bit challenging to guage accurately. Imo, the boost in greens and blues of Velvia are best suited toward sky, water and foliage in daylight balanced light.

That's where it really shows off its profile as blue and green wavelengths have different energy levels than red and the Velvia strives to make up the diff when warm direct sun typically overrides cooler indirect overhead lighting ... i.e. trying to balance the sun/sky lighting energy levels (curves @ film profile). From that, it isn't just a boost in vibrancy with the steep curve, but a re-balancing of blues/greens vs. reds at the end of the curve as things flatten (with all three having the same steep curve in midtones) that make Velvia do its thing such that ambient natural daylight shooters like Velvia. Apply that to very cool lighting and it might need some warming as noted in the data sheet.

Technical boring ... blah, blah, blah

As always, S&P to taste.

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

RustyBug wrote:
I'd suggest shooting the Velvia setting in Sunny 16, clear sky lighting to get a good evaluation of how the Velvia profile compares to the Astia, Provia or "normal" settings.

Getting the look we are going for is always totally subjective, but trying to assess Velvia profile in blue light might be a bit challenging to guage accurately. Imo, the boost in greens and blues of Velvia are best suited toward sky, water and foliage in daylight balanced light.

That's where it really shows off its profile as blue and green wavelengths have different energy levels than red and the Velvia
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give that a try.

In general, the Fuji tends toward cooler, highly saturated images (RAF/raw) than those from Nikon - same day/conditions etc.

And, to me, at least for the time being, more pleasing. Most X-Pro1 users suggest the Astia setting leaving Velvia for landscapes absent flesh tones.

Thanks again,

Bob

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:00 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

The two filters I used the most in my film days were a polarizing filter and a warming filter. Actually, had a couple different warming filters depending on the available light/flash. I still like using a polarizing filter for killing reflections and glare that desaturates color.

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

AuntiPode wrote:
The two filters I used the most in my film days were a polarizing filter and a warming filter. Actually, had a couple different warming filters depending on the available light/flash. I still like using a polarizing filter for killing reflections and glare that desaturates color.

Thanks Karen,

Have to dig out the old filter wallet - Fujinon 35mm/1.4 is 52mm diameter - perfect for the old filters!

Bob

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Velvia jpgs - Fall colors

Bob Jarman wrote:

Most X-Pro1 users suggest the Astia setting leaving Velvia for landscapes absent flesh tones.

Given the profile boost in Blue & Green over Red for Velvia, I always shot Kodak VPS 160 for flesh tones (i.e. weddings/portraits) back in the day. I'm not sure how the Astia profile compares on technical merits of the RGB channel responses (I've yet to review the profile), but it and the Provia do look to have less steep gamma than the Velvia from the sample images I've seen on the Fuji website. I would image they also have a more neutral balance between RGB channels ... will have to see what I can find.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password