Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Looking to swap out the QR plate from my Manfrotto ballhead to Arca-Swiss. I'm interested in Kirk because I'll be using Kirk's L-bracket with my 5D2. My question is why all the different plate lengths? It looks like they offer 1.75" plates up to 3" plates. I may end up with an Acratech Nodal Rail at some point. Should this be a factor in my decision as to which size Arca-Swiss plate to buy?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

**Subject heading edited due to discussion topic shift**

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 01:05 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:40 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Do you mean different clamp lengths? (The plate lengths are based on the lens model.) Larger clamps grip better, but are a little heavier and bulkier. Some of the large clamps will not drop to 90, though that is not usually an issue if an L bracket is used.

~2.4" clamp is fine for ~40 mm balls, but I prefer the full-sized clamps for balls > 50 mm. Get the largest clamp for most versatility.

EBH

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:53 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Thanks, EB-1. My apologies for any confusion. I'm still trying to figure this out. I was referring to the QR clamp length.

However, I think I might be moving over to the RRS bandwagon. If all goes well, I may sell my Manfrotto 468MGRC2 ballhead and upgrade to the RRS BH-55 Pro with B2-Pro II clamp, L-bracket (BGE6-L), plates, and the 192 Precision Plus rail package. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear RRS offers a larger clamp for the longer plates. I assume this isn't an issue though based on all the positive feedback I've read over the past few years regarding RRS products.

Would you recommend the B2-Pro II clamp for use with the BH-55 head?

Kevin

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:51 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

The long plates help for long, heavy lenses. Some lens collars have more than 1 attachment screw for stability, and long plates also give you more freedom to find the center of gravity especially for heavy lenses that change CG based on focus or zoom, or if you use different-weight bodies on the same lens.

Get plates with safety stop screws at both ends if you can; Arca systems don't usually have built-in safety stops like the Manfrotto system does.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:11 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Thanks for the tip, wuxiekeji. The only heavy lens I currently own is the 70-200 f/2.8L. RRS offers a plate for that specific lens/tripod collar, which has dual safety stops. However, (to the best of my knowledge) the camera body plate does not have safety stops.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:20 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

no_surrender wrote:
Thanks for the tip, wuxiekeji. The only heavy lens I currently own is the 70-200 f/2.8L. RRS offers a plate for that specific lens/tripod collar, which has dual safety stops. However, (to the best of my knowledge) the camera body plate does not have safety stops.

If you need a camera plate that has safety stops you can try the Wimberley P-5 or any of its knockoffs (I use a knockoff version of the P-5 by RainbowImaging which works perfectly fine ... it's a hunk of metal, not much that could go wrong ...). Has a bonus convenient 1/4" tripod screw at the bottom of the plate too just in case you ever need to hook it up to a pocket tripod without taking the plate off.

Not sure if there are any L plates with safety stops though, but I don't have too much use for L plates so I haven't researched this.

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Hey Kevin,

I swapped out the "screw platform" head on my 468MG a few years ago, for a Wimberley C-12 QR base. It works great!

The RRS B2 LR II and B2-Pro dual mount clamps are also excellent products. I use them on my monopods and some other stuff.

C-12, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687461-REG/Wimberley_C_12_C_12_Quick_Release_Clamp.html

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

jcolwell,

Thanks for the suggestion. In comparison, the Wimberley QR base is slightly longer than the RRS model I'm looking at. However, I do like the fact that the RRS QR base has an incorporated spirit level. Not sure how effective this is when it may be difficult to see once the camera body is mounted. I was planning on ordering a hot-shoe mounted spirit level anyways. Decisions, decisions.

Hoping more members can chime in with pros and cons to help my decision.

Kevin

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:06 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

no_surrender wrote:
Would you recommend the B2-Pro II clamp for use with the BH-55 head?

no_surrender wrote:
Hoping more members can chime in with pros and cons to help my decision.

If this is still your decision my answer would be yes. If you want a screw knob clamp the B2-Pro II clamp is a normal 60mm wide clamp that will be secure with any make of plate or rail, RRS or otherwise. RRS also makes a lever clamp - the B2 LR II clamp that also self-adjusts to any plate. I use a B2 LR II clamp with an Acratech ballhead and it works just fine on the 6 different brands of plates I have.

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

any plate within a range. there are still some real out of bounds plates out there. stick with the majors and you'll
stay snugged in.

the levels on the RRS clamps are only good if you get a clear view of them. for me they are only minimally relevant

Nov 21, 2013 at 06:37 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Arca QR base & plates (Kirk/RRS/Wimberley)

Thanks, you two. I'm confident the RRS set up will suit me well.

Kevin

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password