Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Using a Buff Cyber Commander
  
 
hondageek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


Diavolo, Now you do. I pretty much make my living with a CC on my cameras. Fold it down flat and it's less obtrusive than a PW Plus II, III, X, Multimax...


Dec 20, 2013 at 02:51 PM
Diavolo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


hondageek wrote:
Diavolo, Now you do. I pretty much make my living with a CC on my cameras. Fold it down flat and it's less obtrusive than a PW Plus II, III, X, Multimax...


I've tried and and holding the camera while making adjustments to lights was just a nuisance so I went with a trigger on the camera and the CC in hand/around the neck on a lanyard.



Dec 20, 2013 at 04:58 PM
blutch
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


I use on cera now but see a benefit to having it off camera.


Dec 20, 2013 at 05:28 PM
jzucker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


Diavolo wrote:
I've tried and and holding the camera while making adjustments to lights was just a nuisance so I went with a trigger on the camera and the CC in hand/around the neck on a lanyard.


agreed, especially if you're trying to use it as a meter. However, lately I've discovered that the meter accuracy is not very good so I now use it to adjust power and settings and use a Sekonic L-358 to meter.



Dec 29, 2013 at 09:40 PM
RDKirk
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


I keep the CC on my belt and use the trigger on the camera. I do use the CC as a flash meter--haven't used either of my Sekonics since getting it.

I agree that the CC is complex to set up, but it's less complex with the Einstein and not really more complex than it needs to be. If you set up a couple of most-used settings, you can swtich between them and almost never go into setup again.

My continuing complaint is that there is too much data crammed on the screen--Buff really needs to design a "CC-lite" that controls a maximum of four lights and spread the data out on the screen a bit.

I'm also not a fan of tiny controls. I liked the old Buff control that was large enough to read from across the room and handle wearing gloves.



Jan 01, 2014 at 08:09 PM
Herb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


Just got my Einstein's (3) and Commander. This is my first entree into strobe photography so all of this is new to me. First I got the strobes to fire with the Cyber transmitter and receivers. Then I got the Commander up and running. I followed the procedure in the manual (I know, I can get kicked out of the guy club for reading the manual) for setting up the Commander. In less than 45 minutes I had the commander controlling the intensity levels of each strobe.

I then set the Commander with the correct ISO and shutter speed and used the exposure meter on the Commander to check the exposure. Set the exposure recommended on Commander on the camera and the exposure was great.

I have to believe that some of the ease for me to set up the Commander was made easier by the handshaking between the Einstein's and the Commander. I am happy with the set up.




Jan 13, 2014 at 01:24 AM
blutch
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


I have yet to learn that second thing about using the commander for exposure.. thing isn't intuitive. Glad you had good results.

B



Jan 13, 2014 at 02:12 AM
Herb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


blutch wrote:
I have yet to learn that second thing about using the commander for exposure.. thing isn't intuitive. Glad you had good results.

B

No it isn't......but sit with the manual.

Get the ISO set that you will be using
Get the shutter speed that you will be using
Have your lights set up and ready to be triggered by the Commander
Walk to the point you want to photo and meter.
Aim the white dome on Commander to the lights
Press the toggle button. One of the toggle buttons is specific for the light meter, read manual and press the correct button.
You will get a f stop reading on the front. Say f8.8 (or something like that). The f stop to use is f8 + 80% of the difference of f8 and the next upper f stop.
There is a chart to tell you how to interpret the 80%, that is not intuitive....you will understand more after you do it a few times.....
Set f stop on camera and you are good to go.....

Let us know how you made out.....but sit with the manual while you do this the first time....look, several times....



Jan 13, 2014 at 01:36 PM
mattdoebler
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


Easy way to adjust to decimal fstops: .3 = one aperture click from base aperture, .6 equals two clicks. Obviously, 3 clicks would equal another whole stop.


Jan 17, 2014 at 03:02 PM
Andrew Gough
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #10 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


I am doing a lot of Architectural work these days. I am currently using a bunch of 600Rt's and STE3. I would like to add some Einsteins to the mix for more power. Since I am using multiple units, I do not need the higher output of an alien bee.

I would like to trigger the Einsteins using the trigger port on the STE3 if that is possible? Also, has anyone here mixed the two setups? I understand that they are quite close in colour output. I will be controlling flash/strobe output manually in all cases. So I might use a remote trigger and then the commander to control output.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew



Feb 03, 2014 at 12:32 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



hondageek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


Andrew, you can set the Einsteins to use their built-in optical slaves. The output, and all other settings, can still be controlled via the CC but they will fire when they see your 600RTs fire.


Feb 03, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Andrew Gough
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #12 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


hondageek, thank you for taking the time to reply. I will probably trigger using the wired connector due to strobe locations - does anybody know if it can be triggered from the STE3?




Feb 05, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Herb
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


hondageek wrote:
Andrew, you can set the Einsteins to use their built-in optical slaves. The output, and all other settings, can still be controlled via the CC but they will fire when they see your 600RTs fire.

Sweet...learn something everyday. I bought 4 wireless Pocket Wizards that plug into the Einstein's and. Figured I would use my PWs for the Canon flashes I have.......I got a lot of lighting power now......I need the weather to get nice so I can get the gear out side with the cars at night......when I get it going stay tuned...I will share what I come up with......



Feb 07, 2014 at 12:39 AM
erichard
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


You can hook the CST trigger to the PC port on the camera and leave STE3 on top of the camera. All will be trigger simultaneously via two separate triggers. Control the power of the Einsteins with the CC. As for metering, it might take some experimenting/chimping unless you have some way to do a shutter release and have the meter where you need it at the same time (two people basically). I tried the above triggering a long while back, and it worked, but never used it beyond the experimenting. The advantage over the optical slave is that the radio signal works around corners of course, and you don't need the long triggering wires of the alternate technique (and can more easily do multiple Einsteins vs the hardwired technique).


Andrew Gough wrote:
I am doing a lot of Architectural work these days. I am currently using a bunch of 600Rt's and STE3. I would like to add some Einsteins to the mix for more power. Since I am using multiple units, I do not need the higher output of an alien bee.

I would like to trigger the Einsteins using the trigger port on the STE3 if that is possible? Also, has anyone here mixed the two setups? I understand that they are quite close in colour output. I will be controlling flash/strobe output manually in all cases. So I might use
...Show more



Feb 09, 2014 at 12:17 AM
hondageek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


I've used the optical slaves on my Einsteins many times for real estate photos where the strobes are in different rooms. Unless your shooting in a multi-room, black velour lined, sex dungeon you should have plenty of light bouncing around corners for the slaves to work.


Feb 09, 2014 at 02:41 AM
cortlander
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


With the Cyber Commander and the CXSCV Transceiver on each Einstein, you can set the power on each light individually. You can set your main light and fill light power separately. With the optical slaves, all lights will pop when setting power.


Feb 09, 2014 at 03:18 PM
viscosiphotogr
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


thanks for the link


Feb 10, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Andrew Gough
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


erichard wrote:
You can hook the CST trigger to the PC port on the camera and leave STE3 on top of the camera. All will be trigger simultaneously via two separate triggers. Control the power of the Einsteins with the CC. As for metering, it might take some experimenting/chimping unless you have some way to do a shutter release and have the meter where you need it at the same time (two people basically). I tried the above triggering a long while back, and it worked, but never used it beyond the experimenting. The advantage over the optical slave is that the
...Show more

erichard, thank you for your answer, that tells me everything that I need to know.

Thank you.

Andrew


Edited on Feb 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM · View previous versions



Feb 10, 2014 at 02:12 PM
Andrew Gough
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander


hondageek wrote:
I've used the optical slaves on my Einsteins many times for real estate photos where the strobes are in different rooms. Unless your shooting in a multi-room, black velour lined, sex dungeon you should have plenty of light bouncing around corners for the slaves to work.


honda,

I will also be using them for some real-estate work, good to know about the optical capabilities. I was looking for the radio trigger for outside use.

Thank you.

Andrew



Feb 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password