Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Using a Buff Cyber Commander

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Just got one of these to trigger and control my four x800 White Lightening strobes.

I feel like I need to go get an engineering degree to figure out how to use this thing! Does anyone know of it simple explanation online just to get it to connect to my lights and trigger them from the camera? This is what I need to do first.. the manual is very difficult to figure.

Thanks

B

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:34 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

You've got PM...

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:08 PM
erichard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Here's one I had in my links: http://glamourphotography.co/gear-reviews-how-to-use/paul-c-buff-cyber-commander-cybersync-initial-set-up/

Haven't used that for a while, so I forget how good it is.

One thing to remember is that under "light settings" function, the power setting needs to be "on" (rather than standby) for all lights you intend to use. That can hang you up scratching your head if you don't know about it. I forgot it the first couple times, which took me a while to figure out.

This past weekend my cybercommander stopped triggering my flashes reliably (I normally use the CST but the battery died the other day). If anyone has a fix for that let me know. I emailed them, but not a good guess as to what it is yet. I suspect the foot is a little off, though I don't know why. The contact looks good externally.
[edit: figured it out: the cybercommander slips on a little too far on my 5dmkiii, so put a piece of tape in the end so it can't go in so far. Stops maybe 1-2 mm sooner that way. Works now every time.]

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:21 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

I'm going to send it back. All i want to do is trigger the lights.. I do not need this complexity. Apparently they have a unit that will simply trigger.

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:29 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

You don't know what you're missing...

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:29 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

I have an excellent light meter. I don't need to use the CC for that. I know that it can be convenient to control your lights during a shoot from one central location, but really.. how hard is it to adjust the lights manually? What else am I missing?

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:44 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Being able to bracket the entire setup or parts of it, grouping lights into one channel, change any setting from the camera, etc. You're not giving it a chance. It's actually extremely simple to use and will save you a ton of time. I used to think it wasn't a big deal to adjust lights manually. Now that I know how fast I can do it (especially if a client is waiting) I can't imagine working without it. I can give you a run-through over the phone in 5 minutes.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:36 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Thank you for your offer to walk me through it. I'm sure that would be very helpful. I will try to find a time to call you. When is convenient for you? I'm a fairly technical guy and following the directions at that link above, I was able to get them to trigger yesterday, but only once in about every 5 or 6 actuations. I have no clue why it wouldn't pop every time. Seems like quite a bit of voodoo involved.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:50 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Thank you for your offer to walk me through it. I'm sure that would be very helpful. I will try to find a time to call you. When is convenient for you? I'm a fairly technical guy and following the directions at that link above, I was able to get them to trigger yesterday, but only once in about every 5 or 6 actuations. I have no clue why it wouldn't pop every time. Seems like quite a bit of voodoo involved.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:50 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

I'm busy from 2-4pm Eastern time. Any other time until midnight is good.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:48 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

blutch wrote:
able to get them to trigger yesterday, but only once in about every 5 or 6 actuations.

Canon body?
Canon's hotshoes are notoriously loose....too much for triggers w/o a locking foot :-P

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Nikon D3s

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

kenyee wrote:
Canon body?
Canon's hotshoes are notoriously loose....too much for triggers w/o a locking foot :-P

Says who?

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:36 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

hondageek wrote:
Says who?

you just have to pay attention to the complaints in the forums :-)

I've also had a friend borrow my RPJrX and it was too loose on his 5D.
Take the same trigger, or the CC and it's snug in Pentax and Nikon and Panasonic cameras that I've tried it on...

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:43 PM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

I had a cybercommander. Got frustrated with the menus. Sold it and got a straight Paul C. Buff transceiver. Couldn't be happier. Manual and simplicity works for me.

Why Alien Bees couldn't make the cyber commander with just 4 switches, with each swtiches only function adjusting the power of one light.... and that is it.... is beyond me. If you make a product simple enough, anyone can use it without spending an hour or two with the manual, and still being frustrated.

Nov 21, 2013 at 04:03 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

blutch wrote:
I have an excellent light meter. I don't need to use the CC for that. I know that it can be convenient to control your lights during a shoot from one central location, but really.. how hard is it to adjust the lights manually? What else am I missing?

It really depends on your type of shooting. I shoot still life most, and sometimes I need to adjust the floor or top light frequently. Without remote power control, I will be exhausted by doing it over and over.

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:07 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

I don't understand how someone can operate a state-of-the-art dSLR with a dozen buttons, pages of on-screen menus, sub menus, AF modes, metering modes, custom functions, etc but can be stumped by a CC with 2 buttons and a menu with 8 options.

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:18 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

Honda,

Thank you for trying to help me on the phone the other day. Even you couldn't get it working for me over the phone, so obviously there is either something wrong with mine or there is some deep setting causing it to not work correctly. Almost everything you told me I knew already and had already set, so I hope you can understand my frustration. When it triggers the strobes once every 10-12 tries, something isn't normal. You were puzzled as well. Hopefully Buff will be able to figure it out.

B

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:58 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Using a Buff Cyber Commander

They will take care of it for sure.

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:01 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register