FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · D3s vs Df

elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D3s vs Df

The Df at $3,000 is grossly overpriced when compared to the D800 or the D610 in terms of image quality. And it takes still another type of battery and battery charger.

What is wrong with the people at Nikon that they can produce the D2x, D300, D3, D4, D800, D610, and Df cameras and have them use different batteries and different chargers?

For my needs a primary camera has to have the Nikon 10-pin port for my GPS receivers and my wireless RF flash. The Df even with its very average performance is a non-starter without that port.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM
JTMeuret
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D3s vs Df

fsiagian wrote:
This. Especially if it's more expensive. I don't need the weather-proof so DF for me.

The Df is equal to the D800 in weather sealing, per Nikon's website. Just fyi.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D3s vs Df

Is the D4/Df sensor rated lower then the D800 for IQ Hadn't read that anywhere...

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D3s vs Df

elkhornsun wrote:
The Df at $3,000 is grossly overpriced when compared to the D800 or the D610 in terms of image quality. And it takes still another type of battery and battery charger.

What is wrong with the people at Nikon that they can produce the D2x, D300, D3, D4, D800, D610, and Df cameras and have them use different batteries and different chargers?

For my needs a primary camera has to have the Nikon 10-pin port for my GPS receivers and my wireless RF flash. The Df even with its very average performance is a non-starter without that port.

Consumer safety laws drove the battery switch from the D2/D3/D300/D90 generation to the D7000/D800/D600 generation, the open contacts on the old batteries were banned in Japan. Only Sony didn't get caught out by this as their battery used contact posts in the camera and hidden contacts in the battery already.

The D7x00/D6x0/D800(E) all share a battery. The Df uses the smaller D5300 battery (and this in fact determines the size of the grip, there's barely enough room to fit that battery) which is an evolution of the older D5x00/D3x00 battery. The D4's obviously unique in its battery but I expect the next pro bodies will share that battery.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D3s vs Df

M635_Guy wrote:
Is the D4/Df sensor rated lower then the D800 for IQ Hadn't read that anywhere...

No? It's pretty common knowledge.

The D800/E/A7r sensor is the IQ king in 35mm. It's arguably the best sensor in any format (including MF) if you consider all aspects of sensor performance (colour, DR, resolution, noise).

The D4/Df sensor is superior in noise performance and has more DR at ISO 3200 and above (it's a wash from ISO 800-3200), in all other regards it is inferior to the 36MP sensor. At base ISO the D800 sensor simply stomps the D4/Df sensor as long as you are using a lens capable of delivering what the sensor needs (the D4/Df sensor is a LOT easier on lens performance due to the much lower resolution).

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D3s vs Df

davewolfs wrote:
I know exactly what I am talking about.

For starters, the D3S and DF should not even be used in the same sentence.

The Nikon D3s and Df are both great cameras.

See they work together in the same sentence.

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.