FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

Hello… I'm not sure where to go with this question, but the FM collective seems to be the perfect place to get some help.

During Thanksgiving I will be traveling to Capitola, CA to visit family. I've pre-arranged a private boat safari on the Elkhorn Slough where I hope to do some otter, seal and bird photography. I have the gear to handle this type of work, but my inquiry and interest in pursuing these animals has led to an unprecedented opportunity to do some flat boarding (surf board paddles) in the area. I will be in a wet-suit and lying prone on the board. I would love to bring a camera out with me as I paddle about. Unlike my kayak & canoe efforts, there is nowhere to stow gear and anything I bring will be very exposed. The opportunist in me doesn't want to pass this up

Unfortunately, the soon to be released Nikon 1 AW1 will not be available at the time, so this is not an option. I've looked at Lensrentals and Borrowlenses and they have some slim pickings. I was thinking about a GoPro Hero, but I have no interest in Video. I do not want to spend $1000+ on underwater housing that might get used every other year. I would purchase a cheap used rebel and slap my 40mm pancake on it and call it a day, but how to keep it from dying as I paddle out at water level.

If you have suggestions for how to do some good (non-snapshot) photography under these conditions w/out spending a fortune, I'm all ears. I will have the opportunity to be nose to nose with some of these animals on their conditions.
regards,
bruce

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Reeftank1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

Have a gopro black and the features for still are pretty cool with time lapse. You may end up with some fun an interesting images.

Brian

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

You don't have to buy the latest and greatest. Since you are going to be close up then cropping will be kept to a minimum. I started out in UW photography with an Olympus 3040 and a cheap plastic housing. Yes, that's just 3.3MP.

If you search on the scuba boards (put out a few ads) then you should be able to pick up someone's old gear for next to nothing. For a one-off it'll be more than enough and cost you next to nothing with no real loss if the housing leaks (fill it with silica gel packs and clean the glass/plastic inside the housing - and the lens - with washing up liquid or even a soft tootpaste gel - to prevent them condensing up).

Shots all taken with the old 3.3MP Oly 3040.

This one taken at 36 metres with the internal flash and my UW torch :

Did fine above water too

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:28 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

You can buy cheap protective bags cheap, but the lens quality they put in front of your dslr lens is not the best. Kevin's pics look pretty good for a low cost option.

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:54 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

Thanks…
I checked out Canon's Refurb listings and found an Elph 100HS (12mp) for $75 and waterproof housing to 10' for $69. With the additional discounts, I got the package for $147 shipped. The investment is minimal and I'll be able to use this for some photography throughout our lakes and rivers as well as a bit of underwater stuff when I'm back in Costa Rica in March.

I'll post some stuff if this little adventure works out.
regards,
bruce

Nov 17, 2013 at 02:21 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

BTW… frogfish… those shots look amazingly good for a "cheap" underwater camera!
bruce

Nov 17, 2013 at 02:22 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

OwlsEyes wrote:
BTW… frogfish… those shots look amazingly good for a "cheap" underwater camera!
bruce

Thanks Bruce !

Good to hear you snagged a bargain - look forward to seeing your work.

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:44 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help: Need Underwater / Saltwater Camera

I've used the Canon D10 for many years. It takes good pictures for what it is. I think now it is the D20. However, the AW1 is available. I just double checked and Amazon has it in stock and ready to ship (only in white though). I'm thinking of getting it also to replace my D10 but it is a fairly expensive purchase for a camera that won't get used too often.

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.