Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Spirit Power

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Spirit Power

wow if this is Dan trolling then he needs some help. ive done waaaaaay worse than that.

and as always nice shot mark

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:50 AM
quicksilver33
• •
p.3 #2 · Spirit Power

Very striking image Mark - looks like a beautiful place and the colors are especially quite nice. Took me a few second to notice you're in the second shot despite the arrow

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · Spirit Power

JeffAUSTIN wrote:
..."the other half being washed out white blur".

Hi Jeff. After thinking about your statement more I am just curious if you are on a calibrated monitor or what you may mean by "washed out"? The only reason I say this is because on my calibrated Dell Ultrasharp the whites are not "washed out" (which to me is synonymous with "blown out" with no detail). Here is a quick 100% crop on the area and even the brightest water area is about 15 levels from pure white. Maybe you dont like the look (and that is totally fine with me - really) but at least to my eye the area is retaining the general detail/look to portray the scene as it was. If you mean there is just to much blurry white water there on the right for your taste, well I get you on that. That may very well be true. It is mostly that.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:22 PM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.3 #4 · Spirit Power

no calibration here, just a 2 year old laptop. I like the above version. I would struggle with what you are posting in this thread. Its a very hard composition. I like what you are doing with it tho.

The earplug thing is just a sensitive spot for me(I somehow didnt equate nature/waterfalls with something I would want to protect my ears from)...no biggie.

Nov 19, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.3 #5 · Spirit Power

Sweet shot Mark. I wasnt a huge fan of the original higher up shots you showed me from our outing, but this lower angle is awesome. I kind of prefer this as a square crop of the right, and even more as a 2:1 pano crop of the top. The added water on the left isnt bad to look at, but cropping just balances things out a bit more for me.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · Spirit Power

Yes, I agree and definitely see some other cropping options as some are suggesting. I appreciate the feedback from everyone. This is my "gut reaction" crop, if that makes any sense.

For clarity, the above photo was not posted as a cropping option. Just to show detail in the area.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:38 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Spirit Power

I like the cropped version and the suggestion from Justin. The original image was strong but the crop is stronger as it makes me feel that the water is splashing on me.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · Spirit Power

I will definitely try a different version at some point.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:13 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.3 #9 · Spirit Power

Maybe you should go back and reshoot with a different cropping.
But match what you did exactly, then rotate the FOV 1 degree to the right. Then and only then will the eagle be in harmony with the mouse.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:31 PM
Guari
• • •
p.3 #10 · Spirit Power

Really nice image Mark. I really enjoy it, though to be honest I think I've seen more compelling images in your portfolio. The thing about this particular one is that I get the impression that the waterfall at the left side of the image, it's too much of a blue wall. It's just too heavy. Anyhow, that's my opinion and I stick to it

Edit: Kudos on getting such a strong perspective, even if it won't please everyone!

gdanmitchell wrote:
Interesting strategy... ;-)

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/images/SundayMorningForum.jpg

What an unpleasant comment Dan.

Yes, Mark makes money from doing tours, teaching and stuff, but he takes the time to reply to threads, he's interactive, he gives feedback. He's not the only one in this board that makes money from such endeavours, I am sure. Sometimes his comments are very constructive, othertimes they are more pat on the back, but at least he invests such time in being proactive.

Does Mark's approach (exposure) make you jealous Dan? If so, just change your attitude and be more proactive. Post an image for starters, rather than just sticking to posting opinionated manifestos.

I rarely get ANY feedback here at the Landscape section of FM, even though I ask for it (and sorry for being a bit offtopic, if someone asks for feedback, give it, even if to say that the image is subpar. It's a strong teaching tool for those that are not as competent with a camera/visual skills). I've never ever gotten even a one liner from you, Dan. On the other hand, I have received a couple replies from Mark. The guy takes his time to give feedback, and if by doing so he gets a bit promotion, more power to him.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · Spirit Power

Hey Mark,

I like the edited version a lot more than the original. If the top of the falls in the background were showing I think that would make it the strongest, but you would probably need a slightly different pov to do that.

But like Jeff, in the original there is a lack of detail in the background water, washed out if you will. But now in this edit, I completely see all the detail.

Jim

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:25 PM
gnbuzz
• •
p.3 #12 · Spirit Power

Hey Mark,

I'll say it for you: Mark's response to Jeff was to demonstrate detail. That said, maybe it was lost in my too-long, earlier post, but I think you'd have a more powerful shot, cropped along the lines of your quickie, demo crop, with Jim's suggestion about including the top of the background falls.

Glenn

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Spirit Power

To be truthful to myself, even though I am just a beginner as a photographer, I am very much compelled to say that the original posting by Mark has such a forceful perspective of the waterfalls as his tile suggests. I am not trying to side anyone here, but the original image pertains something very original. If cropped the left side to have the foreground waterfalls to even up with the background waterfalls... then the result will be another boring and so so image. My 2 cents. Nobody needs to agree with me. Thanks.

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · Spirit Power

Mark,

This is a real beauty. I really like your approach if finding a different angle on the falls. Sometimes, photographers do thing different just for the sake if being different, but the images lack soul because there isn't any reasoning behind their actions other than just not wanting to follow the crowd. In your case, you do things differently with purpose, and the vast amount of work you put into photography really shows. Well done.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · Spirit Power

Guari wrote:
Sometimes his comments are very constructive, othertimes they are more pat on the back, but at least he invests such time in being proactive

Yes, I don't mind giving some pats on the back and sometimes more feedback when something makes me want to do that. I also don't mind sometimes taking some real time maybe once a week and trying to comment on the entire page of work here from the bottom up so as not to disturb the order of the posts. I spoke my peace about that earlier, and I am at peace. So back to photography!

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · Spirit Power

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
To be truthful to myself, even though I am just a beginner as a photographer, I am very much compelled to say that the original posting by Mark has such a forceful perspective of the waterfalls as his tile suggests. I am not trying to side anyone here, but the original image pertains something very original. If cropped the left side to have the foreground waterfalls to even up with the background waterfalls... then the result will be another boring and so so image. My 2 cents. Nobody needs to agree with me. Thanks.

Thanks very much Kee. This is really a mixed bag of perspectives. On another forum the vast majority like it as is. I keep looking at it and do see the argument for other perspectives for sure. Yet, I love this as is! My gut reaction was to try to capture the sheer enormity and power and color of that front wave/fall that I was mesmerized by and make that the emphasis. It might not work for everyone (this is art) but I'm ok with that.

Nov 20, 2013 at 01:31 AM
B Landau
• •
p.3 #17 · Spirit Power

I think if you crop this image too tightly you lose context and it becomes more of an abstract study of water movement. To keep this more in the vein of a landscape photograph I would probably first explore expanding the image to the right side. I don't know if this particular vantage point offers anything of interest as you look more to the right, but it may be worth considering. Perhaps the next iteration should be stitching multiple shots to create a panorama!

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · Spirit Power

B Landau wrote:
I think if you crop this image too tightly you lose context and it becomes more of an abstract study of water movement. To keep this more in the vein of a landscape photograph I would probably first explore expanding the image to the right side. I don't know if this particular vantage point offers anything of interest as you look more to the right, but it may be worth considering. Perhaps the next iteration should be stitching multiple shots to create a panorama!

I get you! Problem, nothing to the right but obstructions from this vantage point! But isn't that just like photography? Something always trying to get in the way! There will be a next iteration.

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · Spirit Power

Mark Metternich wrote:
Thanks very much Kee. This is really a mixed bag of perspectives. On another forum the vast majority like it as is. I keep looking at it and do see the argument for other perspectives for sure. Yet, I love this as is! My gut reaction was to try to capture the sheer enormity and power and color of that front wave/fall that I was mesmerized by and make that the emphasis. It might not work for everyone (this is art) but I'm ok with that.

Hey Mark,

Well perhaps you can have two shots from this location? It shouldn't have to be a one shot deal....

Jim

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:05 AM
Ned Fenimore
• • •
p.3 #20 · Spirit Power

Awesome work, Mark... the color of that water is insane! Personally experienced it myself, but didn't think of a shot from the side like this. You sure inspire me!

Nov 20, 2013 at 04:33 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password