Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Spirit Power

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Spirit Power

Scott Kroeker wrote:
What is wrong with someone being active on the forum?

Who said there was anything wrong? And I'm all for being active on the forum. :-)

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:43 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Spirit Power

Scott Kroeker wrote:
Trolling?

What is wrong with someone being active on the forum?

BTW Mark, this is a killer perspective. I am jealous of the places you get to explore and thank you for being an active member on the forum...when your time allows. I try to be active but often fall short due to crazy schedules and not getting as much time as I would like to post here.

I try to be active but often fall short due to crazy schedules and not getting as much time as I would like to post here.

Thank you Scott. Me too.

I used to come here and post comments and feedback every evening for years. The demands of the photo business have become just too great to do that anymore. But I still love FM. I have been here maybe almost 10 years (I used to have another name). These days I get on the forum maybe 1-2X a week and don't think just posting my own work is fun or giving back. I try to make it a practice to get inspired, interact and comment/give feedback before I post my own stuff when I can. That could be misconstrued as a "strategy" but it is much simpler than that. Maybe this is not the best idea, but I also usually post from the bottom up so to not disturb the general order of the posts. If you post from the top down it is too easy to throw all the top listings off the 1st page. I figured that might irritate people.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Joe_A
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Spirit Power

Amazing work! I really like how you created contrast between the near and far ends of the falls.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Spirit Power

gdanmitchell wrote:
Interesting strategy... ;-)

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/images/SundayMorningForum.jpg

Jim edited my comment. It basically said Dan, something something something expletive expletive something your mom, expletive swizzle scnizzle.

Mark amazing dedication !
Well done!

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Spirit Power

Mark Metternich wrote:
The "strategy" if you want to call it that, is that I enjoy getting inspired, interacting and giving back instead of just posting.

Hey Mark,

It's definitely great to have you participating, and you do often add some very insightful thoughts or suggestions. So that's very much appreciated.

Now I haven't discussed this with Dan, but I will have to say I have had a few people comment about the massive flow of comments to a page full of threads. The 2 main thoughts were concerning how sincerely you were commenting when often in looking at the list you are commenting on 2 threads within 1 minutes time. So the question was if you were merely patting people on their back in their threads in hopes they will reciprocate. The 2nd thing was with that much influx of coments on such a great # of threads is that most often the newer threads then get buried at that bottom and then people don't end up seeing the new threads.

My thoughts are it sounds like you have thought about #2 as I did read your comments about starting from the bottom and working up. So by the time you are done, all the threads will be pretty much in the order you started. So that's good.

And to the first, I think you might need an award for going through that many threads in one sitting... Myself... man, even if I have been out of the forum for the day, I can't view and comment on more than 4 or 5 threads and then I am exhausted... I have read a lot of your comments in the threads, and while some do come across as a simple "great shot" comment (to which there is nothing wrong), you do also stop and give insightful comments to others with helpful suggestions.

It's great to have everyone participating. And Dan's little comment and posting I think is a good one to make us all think. So let's not hang Dan, (at least not for this... ) as I think he is simply verbalizing what at least a few others have commented on in private. And I think sometimes it's best to just get thoughts and feelings out in the open.

For me, my suggestion is that for all of us, let's make sure we are thinking about what we comment to others. Pat's on the back are always great. I know it feels good if someone says "great shot". And let's all be aware that we all are individuals and all have different styles and also opportunities to comment. Some of us will commet on a few threads every few hours, and others like Mark will run a marathon and hit out 50 comments at one sitting. The main thing, is let's all be real. Don't say a shot is good unless you really mean it. And if a shot needs some help, or could benefit from some suggestions, let's take the time to make those too.

The Landscape forum is great because of it's diverse nature in people here. We don't all respond the same, or think the same. But as a collective whole, we kick butt over any other forum out there...

Jim

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Spirit Power

Great and very powerful shot you have with waterfalls. I love the color which is NOT white..

Now I am wondering why in the world the discussion of comments and its philosophy are here in this posting.
For God's sake, Jim, take this unpleasant discussion out of here and put in a separate category, if you desire.

Kee

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Spirit Power

JimFox wrote:
So let's not hang Dan, (at least not for this...

No, please. Save the hanging for some other time! ;-) I just shared a rather surprising thing that I saw when I came to FM this morning - and without making any of the judgments offered later by others and eventually by Jim.

It is also worth considering that the two words I used in my post ("interesting strategy" ) would not be at all inconsistent with a variety of interpretations, including those offered by Mark (busy and generous photographer jumps in briefly on a Sunday morning to help out as many forum participants as possible) and Jim (see above).

I think that thoughtful and helpful comments are always a fine thing, especially when they are offered primarily with the value to the recipient in mind.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:07 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Spirit Power

Ahem - maybe back to Spirit Falls and landscape photography?

Mark - Your passion and desire to get that unique angle seems to be on the order of Galen Rowell. This paid off with a killer composition! My first reaction is that this is just too blue for the water - but then I saw the record shot of your earlier attempt and wow - that water is blue.
Dave

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:41 AM
B Landau
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Spirit Power

Mark - I don't always agree with the lengths you go to get a unique perspective, but in this case it worked out extremely well! I just hope that anyone else who tries something like this prioritizes safety over everything else.

Having been to Spirit Falls a couple of times I can vouch for the water having a blue hue.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:40 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Spirit Power

Hey Mark,

BTW I didn't comment on the shot yet. I have looked at it a few times, and for me something just didn't grab me like some of your shots can. And for me I came to the conclusion that there is too much water falling in the foreground. I think a little less would work well. I think the foreground water makes the background water feel like it's an afterthought... I am not sure if cropping it would help, or a slightly different angle. Anyway, most seem to like it just as it is, so I am probably off in left field on this one.

Jim

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Spirit Power

I don't know that I have ever seen a shot where I felt more IN the water with you than this one...I in my head hear the rush of the water and feel the spray on my neck...very cool perspective, you really work at finding a unique view. Thanks for sharing it.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Spirit Power

dbehrens wrote:
Ahem - maybe back to Spirit Falls and landscape photography?

Mark - Your passion and desire to get that unique angle seems to be on the order of Galen Rowell. This paid off with a killer composition! My first reaction is that this is just too blue for the water - but then I saw the record shot of your earlier attempt and wow - that water is blue.
Dave

+1 from me.

Kee

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Spirit Power

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I thought some might take issue with the amount of space I allotted for the foreground water and I understand. For me the power of the surf/wave - like water in that perspective just compelled me to shoot it that way. I am thinking it may or may not translate to various viewers.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:09 PM
gnbuzz
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Spirit Power

JimFox wrote:
Hey Mark,

BTW I didn't comment on the shot yet. I have looked at it a few times, and for me something just didn't grab me like some of your shots can. And for me I came to the conclusion that there is too much water falling in the foreground. I think a little less would work well. I think the foreground water makes the background water feel like it's an afterthought... I am not sure if cropping it would help, or a slightly different angle. Anyway, most seem to like it just as it is, so I am probably off
...Show more

Mark, your seemingly inexhaustible quest to portray scenes in ways previously unimagined - then execute your vision - continues to blow me away. I'm with Jim here, inasmuch as, though I recognize what you are going for, the proportion of the foreground and background doesn't grab me. I might make the foreground a little more dominant. I think the photographers and artists see and value the degree of difficulty in this image; a more "average" viewer probably doesn't value those as much and will bond more to the emotional impact of an image - which I think would be leveraged by more prominent foreground. That's my experience, at least, as a journalist and editor.

I didn't want to further hijack this thread, but I think the mini-conversation, initiated by Dan, is instructive. I have watched with admiration the way Mark and others have harnessed the power of the Internet, in several different iterations, to build their businesses and careers. Photography has been under such siege recently, professionals are pressed to unearth different means to rise above the din and survive - so they can continue to wow and entertain us with their art. I'm a newbie to outdoor photography, but not to business on the Web, so I applaud such efforts (and much of it seems to emanate from the PNW, which I love since its my home, too).

Many of you have been on this forum so long, you might now realize how ingrained the you-pat-my-back-I-pat-yours culture is so ingrained here and elsewhere. In fact, when I first joined this site, I was chastised openly and in private by several for not commenting enough. Even so, I still only comment when moved, when I have time, and when I have something to say. The value I receive is viewing powerful work, and being inspired. And, circling back to Mark's image, above everything else, artistically and politically, it inspires me.

Glenn

Edited on Nov 18, 2013 at 05:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2013 at 04:07 PM
B Landau
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Spirit Power

IMHO the emotional impact of the image trumps any deficiencies in composition. I have seen many boring photographs that techically meet all the compositional rules, but do nothing for my senses. I would leave the image as is.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Spirit Power

B Landau wrote:
Mark - I don't always agree with the lengths you go to get a unique perspective, but in this case it worked out extremely well! I just hope that anyone else who tries something like this prioritizes safety over everything else.

Having been to Spirit Falls a couple of times I can vouch for the water having a blue hue.

I just want to pipe in a couple things here aside from thank you very much.

Yes, I could not agree more about safety. I always take all the safety precautions necessary to get this type of challenging shot. I am trained in this. I was literally raised doing this type of thing. My dad is a world class mountaineer (still soloing major mountains today at 76 years old with no major accidents or incidents). He has had a 55 consecutive year career mountaineering/and leading climbing and that does not happen without practicing safety first! He is the one who taught me how to take great care doing some of these things. I was roping up and rappelling at about age 6 or 7. When it was not off of cliffs, it was out of huge oak trees in Dallas Oregon. This is what I did for entertainment instead of video games and TV. Probably kind of a peculiar kid. This type of work comes second nature to me. So, these days any time I am on the edge for my own personal work I take all those precautions and I cannot emphasize enough that others should do the same! When I took this image I was so roped up I could not fall down the edge even if I wanted to (unless I cut the ropes of course). So, will I on an occasion work really hard to get a new take? Sure. But I always figure out the safety logistics very, very carefully first. That is why it took me about 4 years to get into Metlako Falls. Nothing is worth a major injury or worse!

Lastly, to be clear, my group workshops don't reflect this type of approach. The only time, maybe, is when someone hires me "one on one" to specifically do something more challenging. That is an extremely limited market and I have no desire to emphasize/target it. So, yes I will chase lava with my lava buddies in Hawaii, or swim or snowshoe or climb or rappel or kayak or whatever sometimes to try to get something special, but that is far from the norm.

Nov 18, 2013 at 05:50 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Spirit Power

Mark,
Rules are meant to be broken. I think normally the dominance of the foreground water would be too much. But when viewed as a whole, set's the emotion/mood/drama, dare I say fear of the image. I think the dramatic impact trumps the distraction. YOMV

As to posting "intensity", I have done so a few times as I stalk the Landscape forum.
Whenever I view an image, the poster asks for feedback and/or it inspires me to seek a shot, I will post a response. Sometimes it inspires me to find a location, light or more generally a "type" of shot. So in return for this favor, I gladly comment.

Dan

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Spirit Power

Side note: for those who have never seen Spirit Falls in person, I put a very small video clip on my FB page so people can get a general feel of the area (from below).

Nov 18, 2013 at 08:11 PM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Spirit Power

Not a big fan of your earplug comment...

You always post good work(better than I can execute) and you do provide inspiration for me at least.

I dont care for the final image tho...half the frame is a blue blur with the other half being washed out white blur.

I would try to just focus on the blue/white and eliminate the greens myself(abstract)...

still like your posts tho

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Spirit Power

JeffAUSTIN wrote:
Not a big fan of your earplug comment...

Thanks Jeff for the honest feedback. I appreciate it.

As far as the earplugs comment.. Sort of like if you were near a jet plane for hours on end it literally damages your hearing. After the first day, spending about 1/2 the day here, my ears were literally ringing that afternoon/evening like I had been to a loud rock concert standing next to the wall of speakers. That is why I used ear plugs the next days.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:33 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password