Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Spirit Power

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spirit Power

Details BELOW image.

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 08:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spirit Power

Spirit Roaring

Last spring, during my workshops to the area I thought up a number of new ideas to try to shoot Spirit Falls (all but this one yet accomplished). After finishing, I was compelled to return for 3 days in a row of considerable failing. Finally, I pulled this one off. The logistics where challenging including harnessing up for safety, and Gorilla taping my camera onto the end of a pole to get the angle I wanted. Maybe the biggest challenge was the constant bombardment of immense spray coming from this roaring cascade. I named the image "Spirit Power" because of the deafening roar of being right next to this huge wall of dazzling blue water. The word “awesome” does not do the experience justice. During my 2nd and 3rd attempts I became smart enough to actually wear earplugs to protect my hearing! 

As always, there are more details on my Facebook page.

Techie stuff:

Canon 5D Mark 2
Canon 16-35L2 @ 16mm
100ISO
f/5.6
1/10th second
Circular Polarizer

The image is a single raw file processed mainly in Lightroom 5 Raw, then imported into Photoshop CS6 for fine tuning. A slight perspective blend was used to correct the angle it was shot at, my innovative "Blend if" techniques were used (in LAB’s L) for various types of tonal blending/control as well as advanced, very subtle, dodging and burning and as always a full "Color Balance" treatment was used to get global and local colors corrected (in the Layers “Color” mode so tones/contrast don't change).

*As always, most accurately viewed on a carefully calibrated monitor using Safari, Firefox or Chrome.
Thank you for looking and your feedback!

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spirit Power

One of my earlier failed scouts up higher. Yes, harnessed up for safety! Photo by Justin Grimm.

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:52 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spirit Power

Mark,

Wow! that is really cool. I saw the above pic on your facebook, so I eagerly waited for the "final image". I really like the shot. Not that I've seen a ton of spirit fall shots but I would I say this is a unique waterfall shot. Love the colors and the water motion. Man that just looks scary to position yourself there, but the photo is great.

Jason

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 06:18 AM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spirit Power

roguecoolman wrote:
Man that just looks scary to position yourself there, but the photo is great.

Jason

Thanks Jason.

Actually I am way down lower for the shot I finally got. That shot of me there is my first foolings around scouting and just experimenting (I'm shooting because Justin takes his big FAT time getting his shots just perfectly perfect - like hours! ).

Yes, a bit scary until you acclimate. But with the right rope/harness, safety equipment and experience, it takes a lot of that away.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:11 AM
Littlefield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spirit Power

Wow, great shot and man that is some blue water. It would look cool too getting a kayak coming down it.
Don

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:43 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Spirit Power

Littlefield wrote:
Wow, great shot and man that is some blue water. It would look cool too getting a kayak coming down it.
Don

Thank you Don. That is one heck of a great idea! I have seen and talked with people who go down this a few times. Might be a good idea to time that with them.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:21 AM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Spirit Power

Kinda gives you a puckered up feeling.... Nice work, and awesome effort to get a new perspective.

Roman

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:36 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Spirit Power

A lovely, dynamic shot, even without knowing how you did it. I would love to have the time to spend 3 days getting the right shot, but unfortunately I have a serious handicap called the boss.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
matthewh133
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Spirit Power

Really awesome Mark! Love the unique perspective. Well worth the hard work I'd say

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturesmoments
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Spirit Power

Fantastic shot Mark!!!

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM
psharvic
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Spirit Power

Problem solving 101. Great shot, Mark! Must have been extremely satisfying.

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:07 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Spirit Power

Man Mark that's crazy ; ) I keep scrolling between the shots trying to figure out where you even set up. By the looks of it, I'm sure it was precarious. Job well done.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:28 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Spirit Power

jord217 wrote:
Man Mark that's crazy ; ) I keep scrolling between the shots trying to figure out where you even set up. By the looks of it, I'm sure it was precarious. Job well done.

I dont think you can see my position in the second shot. That was an entirely different day just sitting there playing around.

I did get lower to another position (roped up) but then duct taped my camera onto a pole I brought w me and put it where I wanted it (where I could not get to safely). I watched a show on National Geographic Photographers which gave me the idea. They do some very, very interesting things behind the scenes to get their cameras where they need to.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Spirit Power

Interesting strategy... ;-)

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Spirit Power

gdanmitchell wrote:

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/images/SundayMorningForum.jpg

The "strategy" if you want to call it that, is that I enjoy getting inspired, interacting and giving back instead of just posting.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Spirit Power

Mark,

That's a beautiful photograph. I admire the passion you put into your work.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:15 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Spirit Power

Very nice Mark.

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Spirit Power

Mark Metternich wrote:
The "strategy" if you want to call it that, is that I enjoy getting inspired, interacting and giving back instead of just posting.

;-)

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Spirit Power

gdanmitchell wrote:

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/images/SundayMorningForum.jpg

Are you trolling, Dan?

What is wrong with someone being active on the forum?

BTW Mark, this is a killer perspective. I am jealous of the places you get to explore and thank you for being an active member on the forum...when your time allows. I try to be active but often fall short due to crazy schedules and not getting as much time as I would like to post here.

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password