New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

acoll123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

I was run over on the sidelines of a HS football game last night and one section of my Gitzo 2451 monopod cracked - camera and lens were un-harmed. (I am, OK thanks for asking). Another section of the monopod had a small crack, but was not busted from a similar incident last season. I use an RRS MH-02 monopod head with a Canon 200-400 lens attached to a 1DX.

I always thought the 2451 had a little too much flex, so I am going to go with something more robust. Does anyone have experience with the Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopods? I know there are other capable and less expensive brands, but I have narrowed my choices to the Gitzo or the RRS.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Andy

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

a Feisol CM1471R. you can go through at least 2 of them and still not reach the price of
either of the others. quite robust. I consider a monopod almost a consumable due to some
of the situation you go into as you have demonstrated. it has 95% of the functionality (not in total load).
37mm top shaft section to start with a nice alloy platform. all of $128 shipped

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-monopod-cm1471-rapid-p-6.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=cm-1471&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ta

this is coming from someone who owns 2 RRS tripods.

I have had 3 of these now over the past 6 or so years since the showed up on the market
the previous ones were gifted out to people who have helped me
in my endeavors because they liked them. they are still in use.

being a sideline shooter at a pretty fast moving and kinetic event can and will take its toll at times.
none of the above mentioned tools are guaranteed to survive a hit like that. bottom line as was
mentioned the Manfrotto alloy 681/681B/680B ones are quite usable and well under $100. this could be the right tool for the right reason.

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 09:25 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

I have the Gitzo GM5541 monopod. It's a great monopod but also expensive. If using it a lot with big lenses it's worth it. But I also own the cheap Manfrotto 681 & 681B monopods. I'm not so fond of the flip-locks on those two. Otherwise they are excellent monopds for a very low price

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:54 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

My vote goes to the Gitzo. For the lens/camera combination you might look for a used G1563 on ebay though. I bought one many years ago and itīs the toughest monopod I have seen or used to date. It gives you a feeling that you could club a Mk IV Churchill battle tank into submission without the monopod taking as much as a scratch (now that might be exaggerating things just a bit but itīs one sturdy and everlasting bit of gear. Iīm sure your insurance would cover any damage to the football players piling on while using it )

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:14 AM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

the solitaire wrote:
My vote goes to the Gitzo. For the lens/camera combination you might look for a used G1563 on ebay though. I bought one many years ago and itīs the toughest monopod I have seen or used to date. It gives you a feeling that you could club a Mk IV Churchill battle tank into submission without the monopod taking as much as a scratch (now that might be exaggerating things just a bit but itīs one sturdy and everlasting bit of gear. Iīm sure your insurance would cover any damage to the football players piling on while using it
...Show more

Thanks,
The cost of the old monopod doesn't meet my insurance deductible . . .

I taped my old monopod together last night and it actually may serve for one more game (all that's left in the season here). Just can't retract it . . .It might buy me time to look for a used one.

Andy

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

I have a pair of Gitzos', but I'd recommend the RSS brand based mainly on the fact that you're going to have an easier time finding spare parts for the RRS.

Gitzos, parts distribution appears to be based on Mars or Outer Mongolia.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

dlabrecque wrote:
I have a pair of Gitzos', but I'd recommend the RSS brand based mainly on the fact that you're going to have an easier time finding spare parts for the RRS.

Gitzos, parts distribution appears to be based on Mars or Outer Mongolia.

It's the opposite for me. Both when living in Sweden and when I stay in Thailand. Impossible to get spare parts for RRS. But very easy and quick to get spare parts for my Gitzo equipment

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

Which makes sense

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:53 PM
craig_k
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

I have the mh-02 and mc-34.....no complaints, in use for over a year.......never had anything gitzo ........both monopods are rated 50-55# and your head is rated 75#...ever had cause to doubt rrs rating on anything of theirs you own?......the mc-34 is a hefty thing I can say that and the twist leg locks have been trouble free.....best of luck, however you go

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:39 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo GM5541 or RRS MC-34 monopod

Thanks for everyone's advice. I went with the RRS- it was a little less expensive and as some pointed out, parts should easier to get if I break another tube section. Honestly I think either would be more than adequate.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:21 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.