New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

ahender
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

Just started using a WhiBal card to set white balance in Photoshop.

In Photoshop with RAW files, the white balance eye dropper does its job in setting the correct white balance when clicking on the WhiBal card.

If I select a JPG file and use the WhiBal card from within adjustment levels, the "set gray point" eye dropper does not do anything but turn the image an ugly yellow color.

Why is this?

The two images are identical in terms of lighting (RAW+JPEG setting). Using a 7D.

Thanks...Alan

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:34 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

You need to understand White Balance is a post process the is done during the process of demosaicing your Camera sensors RAW data into and RGB image. ACR can do this over and over again with RAW files for your camera sensor RAW data is available,

When ACR adjust the White Balance processing a Jpeg or Tiff file your Camera's sensors RAW data is not available your camera's RAW data was converted into a RGB image with white balance applied by a raw conversion program either in camera or on a computer and the RAW data has been discarded.

ACR can not apply White Balance to a Jpeg or Tiff file like it can with a RAW file. ACR is working with with an RGB image with white balance applied. It has to adjust white balance using different computer routines for it can not process you cameras original exposure raw sensor data for its not available.

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:49 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

Success in adjusting the white balance of a jpeg depends on how far off it is to begin with. If it's just a little off, the gray eyedropper in a Photoshop Levels or Curves adjustment can work fairly well. But if it's way off, you're out of luck.

The classic "fail" case is when a daylight scene is shot as jpeg with in-camera tungsen white balance. Usually no way to save that shot.

Consider this analogy:

You take same raw ingredients - flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk. Mix em up and bake some cookies. But they come out dry and bland. No way to fix the already baked cookies, but if you start over with the raw and add more butter and sugar....

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:15 AM
ahender
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:27 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoshop, WhiBal card, RAW versus JPG white balance

I haven't white balanced anything in Photohsop in quite some time, as I always do it in ACR. However, when I used to do it, I think the process is to use the black eyedropper to click on a neutral black, then use the white eyedropper to click on a neutral white, then use the middle eye dropper to click on a neutral gray. So with the Whibal card you would use all 3 swatches in that order.

I think in levels and/or curves there are also some drop down lists which try to set the balance for you.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.