Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sending slides out for scanning....

ultrarunner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sending slides out for scanning....

Hey folks, my mom sent me, what I estimate to be about 1000 color slides from way back. I had the last batch of considerably fewer done locally, but for this many, I'd like to really bring the cost down.

Where are folks sending stuff these days. And at what resolutions are folks recommending in the event I'd like to aggressively crop in PP?

Thanks,

Mark

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:24 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sending slides out for scanning....

I would recommend buying a dedicated slide scanner and doing it yourself. Re: resolution, it just depends on the largest size you plan on printing the images, but I would probably scan at something between 2400 to 4800 dpi.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:45 PM
ultrarunner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sending slides out for scanning....

I'd love to have that kind of time ;-)

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sending slides out for scanning....

well then, what's your time worth? do you *really* want/need to scan all 1000 or do you want to cherry pick a couple of hundred?

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:43 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sending slides out for scanning....

I have the v750 scanner but have taken both approaches (self vs commercial scanning). For my parents slides, I did them myself, since I could load 12 slides at a time and let it run. To convert my 40 years worth of 4x6 photo album prints, I sent them out to a place like Scancafe (Can't remember who now). Prints need to be done one at a time and it would have taken forever. None of these were artistic images, just documentation of family events. Therefore high quality scanning was a waste of time or money. I do have the negatives so could go back and find a specific one if needed. The goal was just to convert them to digital form for easy distribution to family members.

If that is your goal, just send them out to any of the many commercial service and go for low price. If you have LR or anything similar, you can easily do your own auto corrections of the resulting scans. I would certainly not recommend getting a scanner just for this. I still shoot some film, so already had all the hardware.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sending slides out for scanning....

ultrarunner wrote:
I'd love to have that kind of time ;-)

Photographers don't need sleep, you should know that.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sending slides out for scanning....

Well, if you're looking for cheap and decent, I would say your best bet is scancafe.
http://www.scancafe.com

Basically you ship your slides off to somewhere in India, where they use Coolscans to get you better and cheaper than most scans. Downsides is that while they do use decent equipment, most of the people scanning aren't the best operators, and you're looking at an 8 week downtime.

I would say that if there are a handful of slides that you must have, and are heirlooms, just have them shipped to get them drum scanned. FM user Peter Figen is one of the more knowledgeable scanner operators, so you might want to PM him too.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
ultrarunner
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sending slides out for scanning....

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I had considered getting a Coolscan, as I have tons more negatives I would like to archive. It will be time-consuming enough just to look at what I have and trim it all down. Fortunately, the subject matter is labeled...

Thanks again

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sending slides out for scanning....

If you're considering getting your own scanner, and only have 35mm slides, have a look at plustek scanners.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=883631&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.