Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Wilbus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Noticed this a couple of months ago while shooting some portrait pics. Even on the screen the photos would look slightly blurry. Not completely blurry but it's just as if there is no sharpness anywhere in the photo. Sometimes I see some obvious motion blur (albeit just a little) and sometimes it's as if though there just isn't really anything directly in focus.

All photos seem to have 1/100th of a shutter speed in common (as far as I've noticed so far) and the lens can carry but often it's the 45mm F1.8 doesn't matter if it's stopped down or wide open so it's not a lens flaw.

Last time was while shooting some autumn leaves on the ground se the camera couldn't possibly have back focused or front focused unless something malfunctioned.

Could this have something to do with what people describe as shutter shock? I can handhold the camera (thanks to the IBIS) down to very low times, tried it a few minutes ago and I got sharp pictures at 1/5th of a second with the 45mm (and I have some that I have done even longer with good results) so it's not a question of me causing the blur.

Anyone else having these problems? It's very inconsistent...

Any ideas welcome.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Yes it's a well known issue. It's shutter shock. You'll see that when you use the anti shock feature it will go away, but you'll ofcourse have a shutterlag.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Yep, shutter sock, seems to be dangerous from 1/60 to around 1/160 or thereabouts, depending.

I also had problems with my EM5 and 1/100, but not all the time. One way to get rid of it is to enable the shortest Anti-Shock setting. Another thing that *might* actually help is just disable IBIS altogether and hold the camera with a firm stance, helped with me, YMMV.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #4 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Yes, 1/8 sec delay usually fixes most of it. Some lenses are more of an issue.
The EM-5 had the quiestest (least subject to shutter shock) of all MFT cams when last tested. This was b4 the EM-1 came out.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM
cocosphere
• •
p.1 #5 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

I have found that for me, I need a 1/4 second to stop it. Also, early accounts indicate that the EM-1 still has it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:33 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #6 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

cputeq wrote:
Yep, shutter sock, seems to be dangerous from 1/60 to around 1/160 or thereabouts, depending.

This is quite unfortunate as these shutter speeds account for 80-90% of my shots. With the price of E-M5's down to where they are, it is tempting to pick one of these up but this makes me think twice. How about the PEN's such as E-PL5 - do they also have this issue?

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:49 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

curious80 wrote:
This is quite unfortunate as these shutter speeds account for 80-90% of my shots. With the price of E-M5's down to where they are, it is tempting to pick one of these up but this makes me think twice. How about the PEN's such as E-PL5 - do they also have this issue?

Unsure, maybe someone here owns a PEN or knows of an article.

And while I was trashing the DPR hardware threads in another thread here at FM, I have to admit you could probably find that shutter shock answer by searching there or posting a question -- Olympus shutter shock seems to be the rabid topic of the month there, apparently.

Also, I wanted to amend my earlier range - It's actually around 1/30 to 1/160 or so, give or take some.

And yeah, I know what you mean - A lot of my photos fall in that SS range also, which is probably why it raises a big stink in some forums because a lot of people seem to hit it.

To be fair to olympus, it's not the only camera that has had this problem.

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.1 #8 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everybody

Ok so indeed shutter shock... it's kind of a big problem since I just like some of you have most of my photos taken around those speeds. Not to mention it's quite a big interval with 1/30 to 1/160, I suspected the IBIS at first and turned it off (couple of months ago) and it helped for some photos but not all. I know I've got a pretty good hand holding technique and can hold it still for quite slow times even without IBIS (although the IBIS is terrific) so it could be an option.

I'll try enabling the anti shock but I am quite sure I'm gonna hate it, I like to have the picture taken when I press the shutter, not after, it's one of the reasons I loved the D700. I never experienced this problem with DSLR by the way, are there any reasons for that? Can't remember a single picture that was soft/had motion blur unless the shutter times were slow.

Looked through many photos last night and a whole lot of them suffered from the problem. Seems kind of sad to slow down a camera using anti shock that is known to be pretty quick and responsive. *pretty annoyed right now*

Thanks again!

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #9 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

The reason is that the OM-D sensor is floating. Most DSLRs don't have moving sensors.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.1 #10 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Curious80, posting an example for you where I see if very clearly, of course, in web-size and even in some prints I suspect it won't be visible but I for one like my shots sharp. The times they aren't sharp I like to know and understand it is my own fault and my own doing.

It may seem strange to bring this up after having had the camera for well over a year but I've suspected it for quite some time but never asked about it until I took this picture where it became all too apparent. When I shot the model photos where so many came out unsharp I wrote it off as a few different things, one, focusing issues, maybe the camera didn't focus on the model but rather the background (only using focus points that I choose my self btw so it SHOULD be spot on but as the focus points are quite big normally you never know). I also wrote it off as an IBIS problem, maybe I was hand holding it in a way where I actually made a mess of the IBIS rather then it helping me.

This picture though everything should have been fine, Olympus 45mm F1.8 stopped down to F2.5, good handholding technique, IBIS on, took the photo at the same time as the camera found focus (which means I didn't move forward/backward between locking focus and exposing).

Posting a small JPEG and a 100% crop and a screenshot from Aperture showing the focus point.

Like I said, probably uninteresting for most but for those thinking about the camera like you are Curious it might be helpful. It is by no means a bad camera, it is great but seeing this so often is kind of putting me off and had I made the camera choice today, after so many soft photos, I would probably think twice about it and maybe look at the GX7 (anybody know if it suffers from the same problem?).

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wilbus
• •
p.1 #11 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

A bit too much color and pop in the photo but I wanted to try something new as I just started using Aperture again after upgrading the RAM in the computer (now it works really well).

Entire picture.

E-M5     OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8 lens    45mm    f/2.5    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Screenshot

100% crop, hopefully not too large for you all.

E-M5     OLYMPUS M.45mm F1.8 lens    45mm    f/2.5    1/100s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:07 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #12 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

I sold my E-M5 after getting the GX7. I haven't noticed any shutter shock problems yet. The sensor only moves in 2 axis (instead of 5 with the OM-D), which makes it less prone to shutter shock. You also have the option to use an electronic shutter, which eliminates any vibrations.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:12 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #13 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

I had shutter shock on the E-M1 with the Olympus 75-300mm v2 at long focal lengths.

This happens even at fast shutter speeds -- it just has to do with the resonant frequency of the camera body & lens and whether it gets energized by the shutter or not.

On the E-M1, I was able to solve the problem with a feature not present on the E-M5, which is "Shutter Release Lag" set to "short" instead of "normal".

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:17 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #14 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

ebrandon wrote:
On the E-M1, I was able to solve the problem with a feature not present on the E-M5, which is "Shutter Release Lag" set to "short" instead of "normal".

That does the exact same thing as the anti shock feature on the E-M5: adding a short shutter lag.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:21 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #15 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Jochenb wrote:
That does the exact same thing as the anti shock feature on the E-M5: adding a short shutter lag.

I'm afraid that's not quite right. The em1 has the same anti shock setting available as the em5. The shutter lag setting is separate, and new to the em1.

Additionally, change the shutter lag setting to "short" makes the camera more responsive, not less as the anti shock setting does.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:56 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #16 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

ebrandon wrote:
I'm afraid that's not quite right. The em1 has the same anti shock setting available as the em5. The shutter lag setting is separate, and new to the em1.

Additionally, change the shutter lag setting to "short" makes the camera more responsive, not less as the anti shock setting does.

Oh ok sorry, didn't know that. Interesting. Does that feature have any downsides?

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:01 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.1 #17 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Interesting indeed but if it doesn't have any downsides why would anyone want to use it at anything other then short? I mean, shorter shutter lag and less shutter shock problems would be a win win situation, right?

Btw Jochen, how do you find the GX7? Do you like it better then the Em-5?

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:23 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #18 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Jochenb wrote:
Oh ok sorry, didn't know that. Interesting. Does that feature have any downsides?

According to the manual it (1) increases the camera's battery use (2) makes the camera sensitive to physical shocks - you know the camera has been "shocked" when the LCD goes dark. You must then turn the camera off & on.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.1 #19 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Number 1 is another good feature but number 2 is kind of odd... never heard that about any camera before!

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #20 · Olympus Em-5, lots of blurry pictures around 1/100th

Wilbus wrote:
Btw Jochen, how do you find the GX7? Do you like it better then the Em-5?

Yes. I like it very much, more than the E-M5. The only things I like better about the E-M5 are the build quality (weather sealing, more tank-like feel), the IBIS and the sound of the shutter (vs the mechanical on the GX7 that is).
The GX7 advantages vs the E-M5 for me:
- 1/8000 shutter
- Tiltable EVF in the corner
- Better grip
- You can drag the AF point around on the LCD, while looking through the EVF. Extremely nice.
- Electronic shutter
- You can use a much smaller AF point
- Better AF in low light (it focuses to -4EV!)
- Better color rendition. The files hold their colors better through the ISO range. We discussed this in the "GX7 in the hand thread" here. The E-M5 tends to shift more to purple when using a higher ISO or pushing the shadows. Some reviewers also noticed it. The GX7 does really well.
- Low ISO option

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password