Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       end

Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

JonathanP

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

wfrank wrote:
You're absolutely right, the kit performs well and I knew that already given samples here (Phillip Reeve of course). Just couldnt stand the feel, I know, it's quite ridiculous. I once had the Canon 24-70L (for a Canon 5D2) and while it is super-big it still has a very nice feel to it. Perhaps the coming Zeiss 24-70 will replicate that feel though I am somewhat doubtful.

Nope, its not ridiculous In the end I returned my FE 35mm and replaced it with a CV35/1.2II, the primary reason being I just didn't like the feel of it (decision pushed by the fact that my copy of the FE was noticably soft along the left side). I hadn't really appreciated just how much I enjoyed using nice feeling lenses - daft I know

My walk-around kit at the moment is the CV35/1.2 and CV50/1.5. I came to the conclusion that I really valued the aperture ring and focus scale - being able to preset both as I lift up the camera beats twiddling everything with the camera to my eye. Both of these lenses have dual personalities, with their disctintive look wide open and nice across the frame at f/8. The EVF on my A7R has got me back to really enjoying manual focus again.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM
waterden
• •
p.10 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Agree about the feel of many modern Sony lenses. My only experience of these is with Sony/Minolta and Canon but Canon seem better built and less plasticky. However, RF lenses and old MF lenses feel much nicer - good weight, solid, smooth focusing, metal construction, aperture rings, focus scale, DOF scale and, in the main, much smaller. Maybe I'm just old and nostalgic but these attributes are real virtues for me.

BTW I mentioned differential focusing a while back and have just noticed a couple of queries about the phrase. It's an old term, used in the days before AF, and means, as carstenw suggested, subject isolation. Which leads on to the modern fetish about bokeh, discussed in this amusing article. As he says, the fashion for bokeh (and the need for AF motors) is behind the huge size of modern fast lenses. Of course the joke is that many of the iconic photos from the early to mid-20th century were only selectively in focus because the lenses weren't that great (and nor was the bokeh). Didn't stop the images becoming classics, though.
http://www.the.me/f-stops-bokeh-mania-monstrous-lenses-and-lazy-composition-plus-sony-a7r-with-zeiss-otus-comparisons/

Dec 16, 2013 at 01:04 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.10 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I sold my FE 28-70 because it cost me 240 and I could sell it for 340 and because I am saving towards a Zeiss 24-70 which is 900 because Sony Germany offers a 25% rebate for students on lenses.

Cleverer than my thoughts :-)

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:07 PM
Musicman
• •
p.10 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

waterden wrote:
http://www.the.me/f-stops-bokeh-mania-monstrous-lenses-and-lazy-composition-plus-sony-a7r-with-zeiss-otus-comparisons/

I enjoyed reading that. Thanks

Dec 21, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Musicman
• •
p.10 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

sculptormic wrote:
BTW This is called "Amsterdan school" architecture, fabulous bricklayers.

De Dageraad by Piet Kramer and Michel de Klerk, if I'm not mistaken

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:28 AM
Musicman
• •
p.10 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

I think there are quite a number of people like me on Alt who still shoot film, so this may be of interest...

I've become rather dissatisfied with the results I've been getting with my Epson V700 for 35mm film and the A7 presented an opportunity to try something different.

I posted about using the A7 as a slide copier a couple of weeks ago and have a couple more examples.

Kodachrome

Canon AV-1 with FD 50mm f/1.8 lens, taken October 1990.

1929 Barcelona Pavilion by cybertect, on Flickr

Boots 200 slide film (made for them by Fuji and very similar to Sensia)

Canon A-1, FD 28mm f/2.8, taken September 2010

GLA Assembly Chamber by cybertect, on Flickr

100% crop

GLA Assembly Chamber: 100% crop by cybertect, on Flickr

Here's the setup:

- Sony A7
- Cheap FD adapter
- Canon Bellows FL + Slide Copier attachment (it's been sitting unused since I bought one on a whim a few years back).
- Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro lens
- iPad as a light source - I have a proper daylight balanced lightbox somewhere about, but it's been tidied away somewhere and the iPad is doing sterling service until I can relocate it.

~original[/IMG]

Colour negs presented a bit more of a challenge, but I think I have it sussed now.

Neg strips slide in a convenient set of pegs between the slide holder and ground glass on the Slide Copying attachment.

I picked up a copy of ColorNeg for US $67, which handles turning a colour negative into a positive image with a couple of clicks, with presets for a number of common film types. A lot easier than some of the methods I've come across using PS on its own and a huge time saver.

Here's a V700 scan I did of the same frame last year, shot with my Canon A-1 on Superia 200.

I have always had terrible trouble getting the colour half way decent when scanning Superia, so this is my personal torture test.

Bicycle on Mill Street by cybertect, on Flickr

And here's the A7 'scan', processed through ColorNeg and a little tidying up in Photoshop: levels, some mild contrast adjustment and spotting.

It was a breeze in comparison: faster, easier and the colour is a lot better.

~original[/IMG]

Comparing 100% Crops

V700 scan with Vuescan

~original[/IMG]

Sony A7 + FD 50mm f/3.5 Macro 'scan'

~original[/IMG]

Look carefully, and you can actually read LONDON BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK on the street sign, which must have been 70 or so metres away. Individual bike spokes and the cyclist's shoelaces are discernible where they were not with the V700.

In short, I'm very happy with the results and I suspect that, in future, my V700 is going to be reserved for medium format use.

I am now really curious to see how it stacks up against a decent film scanner like a Nikon Coolscan and how much more detail an A7r could extract

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.10 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

wow, the prospect of an a7r scan of MF film makes the knees weak...

well done!

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:16 AM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Has anyone tried A7 + AF adapter + 135mm 1.8? How is the A to E adapter performance in general?

A fast 135mm is something I'm lacking and I'm wondering if this could be a solution.

Dec 22, 2013 at 05:53 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Ryan,
I do not know how the Sony 135mm f/1.8 performs but I know another Zeiss lens in that focal length, the Sonnar 135mm f/2.0 APO is a great performer on the A7r but it is a MF lens though. Check this out: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/35.

Joshua

Edited on Dec 23, 2013 at 03:57 AM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:27 PM
waterden
• •
p.10 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Love the idea of using an iPad as light source. Unfortunately, I have "scanned" all my slides using a NEX-7 on a minolta focusing rail with an LA-EA1 adapted Minolta AF 50/3.5 and extension tubes with daylight as light source. The results were usable but not much more than that. I might try re-"scanning" some of the better ones on the same kit but with the a7 and iPad.

Musicman wrote:
I think there are quite a number of people like me on Alt who still shoot film, so this may be of interest...

I've become rather dissatisfied with the results I've been getting with my Epson V700 for 35mm film and the A7 presented an opportunity to try something different.

I posted about using the A7 as a slide copier a couple of weeks ago and have a couple more examples.

Kodachrome

Canon AV-1 with FD 50mm f/1.8 lens, taken October 1990.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2888/11288936915_e003d62690_o.jpg
1929 Barcelona Pavilion by cybertect, on Flickr

Boots 200 slide film (made for them by Fuji and very similar to Sensia)

Canon A-1, FD 28mm
...Show more

Dec 22, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Musicman
• •
p.10 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

WB sample on the ground glass illuminated by a white screen on the iPad with no film in the holder is 5450 K +12 tint, so it's very close to Lightroom's daylight default of 5500K +10.

I copied that WB over to any images captured and it seems pretty good as a starting point. Any residual cast should be down to the original exposure and the film base.

Dec 22, 2013 at 02:52 PM
artur5
• •
p.10 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Often the main problem with flat scanners is poor focusing and a less than stellar lens. They are good enough for medium format but not for 35mm film, if compared to dedicated film scanners, which are provided with a mechanism for fine tuning the focus manually or automatically and a top grade lens.
Scanning with a digital camera, while being way faster, has also a caveat : dust and scratches.
Modern scanners have a good implementation of ICE that works really well for color film and saves a lot of time in post processing with the spot healing tool.
Using a digital camera we have to deal 'bare handed' with that problem. Cleaning carefully the film strip solves part of the issue, but we all know that old(ish) film usually has emulsion damage (scratches, spots) or stuck dirt that won't away with a brush.
Instead, with B&W silver based film, where ICE doesn't works, using a digital camera it's the way to go.

Dec 22, 2013 at 04:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password