New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              9       10       end

Archive 2013 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Not sure this is representative, or sign of anything to worry about, but noticed some low ISO horizontal banding in the upper left corner of some images from this a7:

Full rez a7 image on Flickr
And this image too

Probably not a real-world image problem... but thought I'd mention it. Didn't notice it in any of my preproduction a7 images...

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:33 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Why in the corners? This is a Ricoh lens, i.e. not a native lens, so it wouldn't be the camera trying to auto-correct vignetting, I wouldn't think...

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:01 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Bad camera or bad memory card - it's not just in the corners.

nevermind - saw some other full-size shots and I don't notice the lines. Hrm.

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:16 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

some nice 35 shots:
http://flic.kr/p/hpGLvJ

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 09:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:17 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

マルヒの雨模様 by neco_onsen, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:41 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Uhoh7, I would suggest to you that instead of posting photos made by other people, that you post links to those photos instead.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:22 PM
tororo

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

For those who are considering purchasing A7r to use with Carl Zeiss Makro Planar T* 2/50 ZE. I uploaded full-size test images on flickr. I used Metabones Smart Adapter Mark III.
RAW conversion with Lightroom 5.3 RC. No sharpness added, no saturation/contrast enhancement, pretty much straight out of the camera. Just a tiny bit of white balance correction.
After having tested A7r with many different SLR lenses, I realize that there is no reason for me to keep Canon's full frame cameras. I paid about $1950 USD in Tokyo for the A7r Japanese version (its menu language is locked in Japanese).

f2, ISO 200:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3741/10899651874_6af5402edf_b.jpg

f8 ISO 400:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/10899807593_90c7f055ed_b.jpg

You can check out the full-size images below.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ippei-janine/10899651874/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ippei-janine/10899807593/

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:55 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Jeff, thanks for those images. I have an absurd love affair with the Canon 35/2 LTM, and your shots have me itching to go grab one this weekend in Seoul. A7 on order (from your neck of the woods- better price).

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:14 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Jabberwockt wrote:
Uhoh7, I would suggest to you that instead of posting photos made by other people, that you post links to those photos instead.

I understand your concern but at the same time I find his practice acceptable in the current situation when there are so few pictures from the cameras around. There is a link underneath the pictures I believe.
I suppose I am just too lazy to open the links in new tabs all the time

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:36 AM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Here is a quick test shot from this evening. I used the A7r with the Canon 17mm TSE at full shift. I also bought the camera here in Japan, though I bought the adapter from BH, even with shipping and tax it was about 100 bucks cheaper.

Ryan

© lostinjapan 2013

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:11 AM
kururu
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

tororo: thank you for fine photos from 50MP, makes me want to re-buy 50MP.

Nov 17, 2013 at 06:56 AM
tororo

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

kururu wrote:
tororo: thank you for fine photos from 50MP, makes me want to re-buy 50MP.

You're welcome. I find it easier to focus with A7r than when used with Canon's full-frame cameras. Beautiful EVF.

Edited on Nov 20, 2013 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2013 at 07:49 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

tororo wrote:
Your welcome. I find it easier to focus with A7r than when used with Canon's full-frame cameras. Beautiful EVF.

I guess you're not comparing LiveView focusing; it's A7R EVF vs. Canon OVF, right?

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:32 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

DSC00265 by fatchan711, on Flickr

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

tororo wrote:
For those who are considering purchasing A7r to use with Carl Zeiss Makro Planar T* 2/50 ZE. I uploaded full-size test images on flickr. I used Metabones Smart Adapter Mark III.
RAW conversion with Lightroom 5.3 RC. No sharpness added, no saturation/contrast enhancement, pretty much straight out of the camera. Just a tiny bit of white balance correction.
After having tested A7r with many different SLR lenses, I realize that there is no reason for me to keep Canon's full frame cameras. I paid about $1950 USD in Tokyo for the A7r Japanese version (its menu language is locked in Japanese).
...Show more

Man oh man those images look great to me! I love the very subtle and neutral rendering. I actually downloaded the original of the 2nd shot, added just very minor tweaks (minor sharpness and minor vignette and a spot removal) and added it as my desktop on my 15" retina Macbook -- it looks amazing (I even kept the watermark, as I love the choice of font).

Hope you don't mind! Very nice.

I typically have a rule that the only desktop wallpapers on my computers are images shot by me (hey, it's a pride thing!), but I made an exception to the carrots...I just love the light and feel of the images. Okay enough gushing.

Nov 17, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

This is a repeat of a query I posted in the Canon forum. I am thinking it may be more appropriate to post here.....

I own the Zeiss ZE 50 MP and the ZE 35/2 and use them on the 5D Mark 2. Wondering about how the results with these two ZE lenses will compare with the new native Alpha Zeiss 35/2.8 and 55 1.8......anyone have any thoughts? I have both on order, and figure autofocus and smaller size (on the 35) would be nice, but not sure of the impact of 7 versus 9 blades (on the 35) on bokeh nor have I seen any mtf comparisons of these lenses. Thx for any thoughts or info.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:09 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Luvwine, check Page 1 of the Resource thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1249238/0

For links to the lenses on Sony's site; there are Sony's calculated MTF charts there for a look. Quite a lot of discussion on the lenses has occurred in the other main thread, although much of that talk has been over the FE55 followed by the FE35 and then distantly followed by the rest which aren't available until early next year.

FE55 looks to have very nice out of focus areas... but we'll find out soon how it stacks up as it enters the wild in a couple of weeks.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:26 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

"My point here is not to say which is better. There are many other factors to take into account (number of blades, build quality, ease of use …) But here are 3 of the best 35mm lenses the world has ever know and the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F/2.8 Sonnar is easily as good on the MTF charts."

Dear Susan weighs in

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Thx much! Going to be a hard decision whether to sell or not. May depend on whether I think i will get any more use out of my 5D mark 2.....

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:52 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

I can't access the main a7/a7r thread - no, not the weepy hand-wringing one regarding wide angle M lenses and their travails on this most modern of all cameras - but the main one concerning the cameras themselves...anyway, Huff now has these things in his hands and offers a prelim comment:

'I look forward to shooting with these Sony cameras but can already tell you that the IQ abilities are up there with the best in full frame 35mm, if not THE best.

Using Leica glass on them is a JOY. For some, buying an A7 and a Leica M mount 35 or 50 will be all that is needed The Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 is stellar as well, with AF.'

I suppose at this point I should say that if anything can prise the E55 Summicron-R from my eager lens-mounting hands, it is this FE 55mm f1.8, as images from it look little short of a sensation and the price is very reasonable for what you get. I can't wait to see the next FE prime lenses.

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.