Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

I am posting this page as the new home for the Sony A7 and A7r images that will be coming shortly and for quite some time as our members are receiving their cameras and lenses.

This is to be a resource thread for those shooting both native and alt lenses with these cameras. Please identify the lens or lenses and any pertinent info regarding the images.

Thanks and let the games begin.

Rich

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:50 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Do we have any Korean FMers? Where's yaws' shots!?!?

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM
rera

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

cputeq wrote:
Do we have any Korean FMers? Where's yaws' shots!?!?

Looks like folks in Asia are waking up. Some photos are popping up on flickr, i.e. m rokkor 40/2

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM
mogul
• •
p.1 #4 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

the 2 cameras are really different...I think they should not be combined, sensor micro lens flash, curtain etc.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:45 AM
serhan_
• •
p.1 #5 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

More on flickr:
A7R with Leica Noctilux 0.95 - Full size jpgs
Unscientific Impression: (based on jpg)
Color: Better than M240, Kinda between M9 and M240, still, M9's color inspire me more.
Resolution: Almost the best in SLR and mirror-less cameras
Focus: Thanks God! I finally know my Noctilux 0.95 can be so sharp, the dof is like a hair thin
Shutter sound: like a gun shot! But I don't mind.
Conclusion: I won't sell my M9, I won't buy M240 and I won't keep my Canons. I will keep my medium format and I will buy some more batteries for M9 and A7r. To me, just to me, it's a game
...Show more

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 05:44 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:16 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

serhan_ wrote:
More on flickr:
A7R with Leica Noctilux 0.95 - Full size jpgs

yeah, i think owning the noctilux would be reason enough to buy an a7 or a7r.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #7 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Has anyone been able to spot moire anywhere in the A7r shots posted thus far? I wonder if there is some processing pre-baked into the raws.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:31 AM
serhan_
• •
p.1 #8 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Check the dcwatch.jp review

α7R is a camera that has been developed on the assumption that it is a low-pass filter-less from the beginning, it is considered that the processing and measures against false color is taken sufficiently.

It is not possible to prevent the color moire and false color 100% adverse conditions when they overlap indeed, but rather than worry about the occurrence of false slight color, We take a low-pass filter-less in order to maximize the optical performance of the FE lens I should be able to have people enjoy the special feature of α7R.

viewfinder:

image:
Where I tried to shoot a clear cloth textured prone false color, false color, color moire occurs to focus part. But generation condition is relatively minor, (and magnification) that would not have to be worried about the impact the problem, such as occur in drawing the shooting conditions in general.

Jabberwockt wrote:
Has anyone been able to spot moire anywhere in the A7r shots posted thus far? I wonder if there is some processing pre-baked into the raws.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:53 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Maybe the moiré in the viewfinder is the result of downsampling the LV feed (to fit the VF's dimensions) without applying a proper LP filter to the result.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:05 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

snapsy wrote:
Maybe the moiré in the viewfinder is the result of downsampling the LV feed (to fit the VF's dimensions) without applying a proper LP filter to the result.

yes, moire in the evf/lcd is the result of the downsampling for display. it is completely unrelated to moire in full sized images and AA filters have no impact on it. the same thing occurs all the time with my 5N or NEX-7.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Jabberwockt wrote:

The DPR studio test shots show it, at least from the RAW conversion.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-7-7r/6

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Jeff Laitila
• • •
p.1 #12 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

I shot some more images with the A7 today. You can find the full resolution images at the following link. The lens used for each shot is identified in the file name. These are all shot as JPEGs.

Sony A7 test images - sushicam

Some thoughts from todays shooting:

1.) The CV 15mm SWH does have serious corner smearing and a magenta shift on the A7.

2.) The Contax 35-70mm f3.4 Vario-Sonnar, while kind of big on the A7 body, makes for a nice walk around lens on this camera. I did not buy the 28-70 kit zoom, as I would be willing to bet the Vario-Sonnar beats it by a significant margin in regards to image quality.

3.) The Canon ltm 35mm f2 is an absolute gem on the A7. Buy one before the prices rise any further.

4.) Longer lenses are a lot sharper in the corners than wide angles, as would be expected. Because of the great EVF of the A7/r I expect the price of tele ltm/M mount lenses to rise as people start realizing how great they perform, and how easy they are to use on this camera.

5.) The A7 drains a battery pretty fast. I got about 200 images and my battery was down to 9%. However I was doing a lot of chimping, so that no doubt had an affect.

6.) I LIKE this camera!

A7 with Canon ltm 35mm f2 at f2.8

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Jeff Laitila
• • •
p.1 #13 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

I picked up an A7 yesterday in Tokyo and shot a bit with a Zeiss ZM 35mm f2. I went for the A7, and not the A7r because for my purposes 24 MP is enough, and I am less worried about absolute maximum sharpness since most (99%) of the shooting I do is without a tripod, in available light. My first impressions after 40 or so frames were that I am going to really like this camera. It has plenty of well placed physical controls, is very customizable, and has a very nice EVF.

Sengakuji Station, Tokyo by Sushicam, on Flickr

DSC00004 by Sushicam, on Flickr

DSC00046 by Sushicam, on Flickr

DSC00042 by Sushicam, on Flickr

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:24 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #14 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Jeff, Nice to see the ZM35/2 in action, more, more!

Here's another shooting the A7 with a variety of lenses:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58521449@N00/with/10870887806/

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 03:10 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:06 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Jabberwockt wrote:

I posted the DpReview raw crop showing moire from the A7r the other day. There does not appear to be anything much in raw processing to prevent it but it's obvious there is something being done to the jpegs to strongly minimize it. Since one of my main uses for the A7r involves situations exactly as below, I canceled my order BUT for most folks doing general photography, I think moire will turn out to be a really rare occurrence.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:48 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Note that the D800 image shows a similar amount of moire as the A7r even though it has an AA filter (at least scanning round the crops, I didn't download the files).

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:01 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.1 #17 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Beautiful Jeff

I must say, as I scour for RF images, the FE35z is just sick.

DSC_a00201 by hsfc, on Flickr

Low light does not seem to bother it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hsfc/

Edited on Nov 17, 2013 at 02:13 AM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:11 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

Link not working Charlie

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:14 PM
uhoh7
• • •
p.1 #19 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

mcbroomf wrote:
Link not working Charlie

sorry try:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hsfc/

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:16 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Sony A7 and A7r Images and Discussion

mcbroomf wrote:
Note that the D800 image shows a similar amount of moire as the A7r even though it has an AA filter (at least scanning round the crops, I didn't download the files).

It's actually worse with the A7r, particularly if one wanted to minimize it's effect with software. Here's why...note the odd circuit like mosaic pattern visible in the A7r example on the left? That's not really removable unless you just blur the crap out of it. We start to see it with the D800 example but it's much less. On the other hand, the larger moire pattern bands can be minimized with software somewhat (though I'm certainly not gong to be doing it with 100's of like images!). Either way, most folks are not going to see either example in general photography I suspect. Comparing with the D800 in this example does show that the D800 uses a fairly light AA filter.

A7r on left, D800 on right.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:21 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password