Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

I hate doube-page spreads

vaflower
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I hate doube-page spreads

It is beyond me that why some photograph publishers want to do this way. It almost always ruins the photograph.
I just bought the magnificent Steve McCurry: The iconic photographs. My biggest complaint is too many doube-page spreads.

A beautiful photograph ruined. Publishers ! stop doing this.

double page spread by Long V., on Flickr

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Wilbus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · I hate doube-page spreads

Agree to some extent. Funny thing is though, while reading Joe McNally's different flash photography books he often (well sometimes) speaks of different pictures that ran double-page spread and he talks about it in a very positive way. Double-page spreads is apparently a big "honor" if one can say that. Annoying as it might be sometimes...

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:38 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #3 · I hate doube-page spreads

Give me a dps any time. I say that as a working editorial photographer.

If you avoid the fold then you can only ever print across one page which gives a much smaller and inferior image with less impact.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM
vaflower
• •
p.1 #4 · I hate doube-page spreads

JohnJ wrote:
Give me a dps any time. I say that as a working editorial photographer.

If you avoid the fold then you can only ever print across one page which gives a much smaller and inferior image with less impact.

From a viewer's perspective, I like to see a picture in its entirety. I would rather see a whole picture in one page than a picture twice the size but being cut in half. A double page in a not-too-thick magazine may be more tolerable but I just can't bear a double page in a thick hard cover book whole the center binder is too pronounced and distracts the viewer.

I am going to return the book because of this issue essentially. I am am just a paying customer, so maybe my opinion has some weight for working photographer, publisher, etc. or maybe not

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · I hate doube-page spreads

Well, if the publishers could just make the one side really large, and then not let the image spill over onto the small side. The left side, for example, could be twice as large as the right side.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:53 PM
vaflower
• •
p.1 #6 · I hate doube-page spreads

carstenw wrote:
Well, if the publishers could just make the one side really large, and then not let the image spill over onto the small side. The left side, for example, could be twice as large as the right side.

I actually don't mind having one side blank, or just a small caption of the picture. Negative space has a way to make the picture stand-out.

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

safcraft
• • •
p.1 #7 · I hate doube-page spreads

I agree with the OP on this and feel the same way.

In fact i used Blurb in more than one occasion to my own personal books and at a given time i stopped using dual page spread... Yes the goal is to have more impact , but the impact is completely ruined by the fold.
This is true on the OP book and on Blurb books as well, because they do not do a 2 page glued against each other technique with a thick and foldable inner line. That is...some books do NOT have fold on pages.

Example of this is wedding photographers...they do not use regular books for this particular reason.
I hate Blurb does not offer this option...and don't know why LR supports them...

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #8 · I hate doube-page spreads

There are a few considerations, but before touching on them, if you like the photo vaflower, why not see if you can obtain a print, either from the publisher or Steve?

Now, one thing is design - a DPS can break up a section in an arresting fashion, as it can be unexpected. Personally speaking this is a poor image to see so large, not enough detail that needs expression.

Second, this is portrait mode, most photo books work best in mild landscape mode, like 11x13. If it is all people maybe an exception can be made.

Third, what can work very well is 1.25 to 1.5 page images, especially if the subject matter gives an harmonious look to this layout. If the book contains text (and it should IMO), a column of text can augment this look. Not 'show don't tell' but show and tell'. This idea would work well for this image, and I don't like the white space layout as it is - rather crude. For something suitable no white space at all works better.

Maybe the explanation is simple - magazines love DPSs, and it morphed from there into this photo book design.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:50 AM
atwl77

p.1 #9 · I hate doube-page spreads

Personally, I don't mind them if the book or magazine's binding allows it to open up fully. But it annoys me to no end if you lose a noticeable portion of the image because the book cannot open flat.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:12 PM
AhamB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · I hate doube-page spreads

atwl77 wrote:
Personally, I don't mind them if the book or magazine's binding allows it to open up fully.

Agreed, but doesn't that usually require thicker/more rigid paper and therefore allows the book to contain less pages?

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:44 PM
atwl77

p.1 #11 · I hate doube-page spreads

AhamB wrote:
Agreed, but doesn't that usually require thicker/more rigid paper and therefore allows the book to contain less pages?

Yes, it usually depends on type of binding, and number of pages. Thickness usually doesn't matter -- you can have think 1-inch wedding photo albums containing only 20 pages but they open up flat nicely.

Nov 16, 2013 at 03:44 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password