Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

Pepe Guitarra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

Two days ago, I received my Leica M9 in perfect conditons and absolutely immaculate performance level. After having my M8 for about 6 months, I wanted to sell it immediatly to help pay for the M9. However, I have my doubts: 1) I miss the loud shutter sound of the M8; 2) I miss the 1.3 crop factor that make my lenses so powerful, 3) I miss my B&W shots (when not using the UV/IR filter), 4) I miss checking how many shots left and the battery condition on top of the camera, 5) I miss the black (NOT PAINT) of the M8, which does not wear with the rub, 6) Selling the M8 will give me back only a fraction of what I paid and the M8 is worth a lot more than that. Don't take me wrong, the M9 has provide and will continue to provide satisfaction. But, should I sell my M8? I need to sell it, but I am sure I will miss it. Have you had this dilemma? Thanks, Pepe

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

How do you feel about having a backup camera?

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Pepe Guitarra
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

jcolwell wrote:
How do you feel about having a backup camera?

Thanks. Well, I do have a Pentax K5 with about 20 of the best Takumar lenses available.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

Yes, but the K5 can't mount your -M lenses. Maybe you need a backup for the K5, too...

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

I say sell the M8 even though it is a great camera….

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:32 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

I would sell both and get an M240, or even better, sell both and get a A7R with Zeiss 35/2.8 and 55/1.8, and you will probably still have a couple of thousand dollars for your next vacation.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

If you can manage it financially, put off selling the M8 for a month or two and intensively use the M9. See if it grows on you. Other than IR, you should get pretty similar results, and you'll get used to the somewhat different UI.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:58 PM
zoffdino

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

I know the M9 is great and all that, but I decided to skip it and went straight to the M240, with the M8 as backup. I bought my M8 used, and did consider trading up to the M9, new or used. But then it hits me: M9 is just the M8 with full frame sensor and less IR issues. I don't want two cameras that are 80% the same. Hence, I skipped a generation.

Nov 23, 2013 at 09:38 AM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

when i bought the M9, never sold the M8 right away...and then the M8 just end up gathering dust. so i sold it eventually.

"But then it hits me: M9 is just the M8 with full frame sensor and less IR issues." no, it's not just that. M8 also has a lower RAW bit depth. one would think that it doesn't matter...in a lot of situations, RAW bit-depth doesn't...but if there is a gradual transition of shadows/color, you can see with the M8 (8-bit) it will have posterization that's not present with the M9 (14-bit).

Nov 23, 2013 at 05:50 PM
BA-photos
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

Pepe Guitarra wrote:
Two days ago, I received my Leica M9 in perfect conditons and absolutely immaculate performance level. After having my M8 for about 6 months, I wanted to sell it immediatly to help pay for the M9. However, I have my doubts: 1) I miss the loud shutter sound of the M8; 2) I miss the 1.3 crop factor that make my lenses so powerful, 3) I miss my B&W shots (when not using the UV/IR filter), 4) I miss checking how many shots left and the battery condition on top of the camera, 5) I miss the black (NOT
...Show more

Just sell M8. I'm willing to bet that you will not use it again after getting used to M9.

Nov 23, 2013 at 07:15 PM
kris hicks

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M9 versus Leica M8......Why am I asking this??

The way I approach selling things is to sell once I've left something on a shelf for a long time. I'm curious to know how you've gotten on with the M9. Has the M8 started collecting dust? Have you already sold it?

Apr 07, 2014 at 07:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.