Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

jpeter
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Hello folks, was looking for any security ideas for equipment when you are on the move. I travel around a fair amount, sometimes away from home for months with my equipment. These trips are in my truck, but I may fly back for a few weeks, having to leave some LARGE camera items.
Presently I have some Pelican boxes which I lock to my car seat or to an immovable object in a hotel, condo, apt etc... This is somewhat of a "keep the honest people honest" routine, as a pair of bolt cutters and a few minutes time will be all that is needed to steal. In the car this avoids a quick smash and grab robbery.

Any ideas, some of you must be in similar situations. A wireless product perhaps to enhance security ?

jp

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Hi jp,

That's more or less what I do. For hotels and sometimes at events, I have a PacSafe mesh bag thingy and a TT Airport Commuter with a securing cable & lock, plus I sometimes put small padlocks on zipper compartments. Like you say, it won't stop a good pair of bolt cutters, but I'm confident that it reduces the chance of my gear "growing legs" and walking away.

I try not to leave any gear in the passenger compartment of my car, where it might be visible to somebody looking in a window. When I do, it's on the floor, usually covered with black material, and with a raincoat or jacket artfully 'thrown' over it.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:47 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

jpeter wrote:
.. A wireless product perhaps to enhance security ?

Did you see "No Country for Old Men"?

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:48 PM
jpeter
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Never saw it.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

jpeter wrote:

Never saw it.

A wireless tracking device played a role in this movie. You really don't want to go there...

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:05 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Let's just say that if you come home and this guy is sitting on your couch, drinking your milk- you're about to have a really bad day.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

yea, he was one seriously bad bad-guy

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:23 PM
jpeter
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

He looks disturbed.

I wasn't thinking of a tracking device, more like an audible alarm that dials out at the same time. I will take any ideas. Was internet looking at gun safes as well.

jp

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Yukonica

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Have you considered mounting a SPOT Trace under the foam in your Pelican(s)? It won't stop anyone but it could get your gear back if they don't know it is activated. Caution and vigilance are still my best precautions. I have a converted gun safe and six Bernese Mountain Dogs at home; I feel confident there. On the road I use locks and the SPOT and don't sit around cleaning lenses in the local coffee shop. (Seen it done).

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:18 AM
intimistic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

A few ideas

You could try tile.

http://www.thetileapp.com

You could check its status while away and you would know if it moves.

Very good insurance with proper policy rider and serial numbers recorded.

Get a Large safety deposit box at a bank for just while you are a way.

Maybe a Canary or something similar when available... use in hotel maybe.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/canary-the-first-smart-home-security-device-for-everyone

in truck/van lock boxes or hidden compartment.
http://news.utvguide.net/2009/05/under-seat-lock-box-for-yamaha-rhino.html

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/vehicle-security-lock-p-1089.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/The-Club-PersonalVault-Vehicle-Security-Lock-Box/6401617/product.html

http://www.truckvault.com/Products/By_Customer/Law_Enforcement.php

http://www.vanvault.co.uk

However law depends on what state you are in if in the us.
Read
http://blog.caranddriver.com/stow-n-go-to-jail-ohio-criminalizes-traps-in-cars-we-explore-the-tech-behind-hidden-compartments/

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael White
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

I normally carry a pelican case and a heavy duty lock and cable. And lock it to the pipes in the room.

In the vehicle if it's just my truck I lock the pelican case ti the seat rails and or points anchored down in the truck if the RV is there I just leave everything in it with my pit bull and the beware of dog sign on the door. Out of site out of mind meaning they would have to find everything first the remove it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

I looked on the website and spot trace doesn't seem available yet. Do you have a link to the spot you currently use?

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Upon arriving at the motel or restaurant I do a nice LOUD Rick Flair "whooooooooo" impression,
complete with the flex move. Nobody goes near my ride, or me...ever. Just sayin'

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:40 PM
Yukonica

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

dgdg wrote:
I looked on the website and spot trace doesn't seem available yet. Do you have a link to the spot you currently use?

I'm using the Tracker. I think it was $150 to buy and $100 per year for the tracking service. Just looked at their website and my version has been updated to Gen 3. I thought the trace was already out. My bad.
We activate a link on our home webpage when we travel so anyone, work or friends, can follow the route. http://www.borealbreeze.com/links I drive fair amount in what people south would consider remote conditions so if I'm late arriving it is easy to locate me. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the worry front; worth the money.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

trenchmonkey wrote:
Upon arriving at the motel or restaurant I do a nice LOUD Rick Flair "whooooooooo" impression,
complete with the flex move. Nobody goes near my ride, or me...ever. Just sayin'

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

As you say, if they have a pair of bolt-cutters ...... however I take a cycle chain & lock with me and secure my bags to each other and something immovable in my hotel room. If they can't cut the chain or hack the handles off then the bags at least aren't going anywhere.

I'm sure there was something called a 'Spider' () that used to be attachable to anything electronic (computers/TVs etc) that would scream so loud, if the item was moved even a little, that potential thieves would have to cover their ears. I wonder if that would work (with a notice for the chambermaid not to touch anything on pain of death) !

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

I travel for months every year in S.E.Asia. I only use Hotel / Short term Apt condos that have safe deposit boxes in the room. Most decent hotels in S.E.Asia have a rather large box that will have space for one camera and 6-7 normal lenses.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:55 PM
jpeter
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

A wealth of info ... thank you everyone. The Spot tracer is quite interesting.

On the lock-up side, the big pelican is a good protector for the big lens and a few others. Maybe I can upgrade to a better cable and locks and keep using it.

I have an insurance policy that covers theft wherever I am, but trying to be smart enough so I don't have to use it. Need to see how ghetto my digs will be this winter.

My main concern is when I fly out and have to leave things in town. I will take a body and 3 lenses with me, but the 500 and a few more will have to stay. Maybe just leave it in "cold" storage, my car in the airport parking lot.

JP

Nov 17, 2013 at 05:38 AM
MalbikEndar
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

> Maybe just leave it in "cold" storage, my car in the airport parking lot.

I think this is not the worst idea, it reduces your chance of theft to being one of a thousand or so cars in the lot...even if there IS a thief who is breaking open trunks. And after all the car itself is worth more than the equipment. Maybe deliberately park next to a nice shiny BMW?

Putting something into a locked box locked to a pipe...that pretty much screams "I am really valuable."

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:47 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Security for equipment - Car / Hotel / Short term Apt condo

Also cable a Pelican to my truck body. Check out kryptonite locks and cables.

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:43 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password