Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       end
  

Archive 2013 · Canon hate?
  
 
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Canon hate?


Gunzorro wrote:
Having shot a lot of C-41 film, I can say with confidence my Canon DSLRs, at least since mid-'00s have surpassed film for DR and resolution in the same size format.



Aye. Not only that, the materials handling, sleeving and storing and dust, and organising scans and prints. All romantic stuff, but SO costly. Now we pay a lot upfront - with film the costs were ongoing and relentless.



Nov 25, 2013 at 06:32 AM
Glenn NK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Canon hate?


Mikael Risedal wrote:
Canon was pretty cocky for some years when they led the cmos development, and each time they introduced a camera it had higher resolution and one or two steps better properties according to Canon.



I must have missed the cockiness - in what way did Canon appear to be cocky? Was it in their statements, or in the camera ads?

Was there a specific advertisement where Canon claimed it was better than one other particular maker? For example, did Canon make fun of or belittle Nikon?

Perhaps some users of other brands switched to Canon, and these users were acting cocky, but that doesn't seem to be the fault of Canon nor a display of cockiness on Canon's part.

I'm just not able to see where any company has acted in this way - they all certainly over state their case in advertising, but people mostly see right through this I think.



Nov 25, 2013 at 07:05 AM
David Baldwin
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Canon hate?


If Nikon has a major technical capability then Canon should have it.
If Canon has a major technical capability then Nikon should have it.

If they don't, and paying customers point out the fact, that is rational behaviour. Doesn't mean the existing kit isn't great, just not great enough yet.

Back in the day, after many years loyal custom, I left Nikon because I felt they had taken too long to go full frame digital. Now, after several years loyal custom, I am considering buying a Sony body because it appears to me to be the cheapest way to use my existing lenses on the best possible sensor.

Where's the hate in that? On FM hate doesn't exist. Most of the negative comments about kit here have some basis on reality.



Nov 25, 2013 at 07:17 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Canon hate?


Glenn NK wrote:
I must have missed the cockiness - in what way did Canon appear to be cocky? Was it in their statements, or in the camera ads?

Was there a specific advertisement where Canon claimed it was better than one other particular maker? For example, did Canon make fun of or belittle Nikon?

Perhaps some users of other brands switched to Canon, and these users were acting cocky, but that doesn't seem to be the fault of Canon nor a display of cockiness on Canon's part.

I'm just not able to see where any company has acted in this way - they all
...Show more

If you can find the video of a Q&A with a big guy from Canon Europe over half a decade ago oh believe me you will see for yourself Canon appearing cocky and basically mocking Nikon indirectly.



Nov 25, 2013 at 08:06 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Glenn NK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Canon hate?


But that would be one employee, not company policy.

There is a very well known photographer on NSN that started with Nikon, used Canon when Nikon's sensors weren't as good, and now uses a D800E.

He's made comments that the Nikon aperture control is archaic compared to Canon's. Does that mean Canon is making fun of Nikon?

Is that hate? Hyperbole maybe.



Nov 25, 2013 at 04:24 PM
ggreene
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Canon hate?


David Baldwin wrote:
If Nikon has a major technical capability then Canon should have it.
If Canon has a major technical capability then Nikon should have it.


Of course, companies have very different opinions on whether a technical capability is "major" or not and where that fits in with their priorities that are usually based on where the most profit is.



Nov 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM
asiafish
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Canon hate?


Glenn NK wrote:
But that would be one employee, not company policy.

There is a very well known photographer on NSN that started with Nikon, used Canon when Nikon's sensors weren't as good, and now uses a D800E.

He's made comments that the Nikon aperture control is archaic compared to Canon's. Does that mean Canon is making fun of Nikon?

Is that hate? Hyperbole maybe.

Ask Leica shooters about archaic. Of course, the image is what matters, and so long as the equipment stays out of the way, its all good.

For what its worth, the aperture on my Leica Monochrom is even more archaic than Nikon's in that it is all manual, all of the time. That manual aperture ring is one of my favorite features and something I miss from the SLRs I used to shoot in the film days.



Nov 25, 2013 at 06:02 PM
1       2       3              10      
11
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password