New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              10       11       end

Archive 2013 · Canon hate?

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon hate?

This is an interesting thread. I think people should remember that this is the internet and hyperbole is the staple fodder. People with nothing to say tend to say nothing. People with something to say want to be HEARD.

Someone here said the other day it didn't matter what the next Canon was like because it was 'bound to be shite'. The fact is digital camera gear, at relatively reasonable price points can now produce images better and more reliably than ever before, regardless of the system in use.

I have said it before: can you tell what make of camera took that shot in the magazine? That sports pic? That billboard image?

No, of course not.

We are in a fantastic age of ever-increasing image quality and features for less and less money, we are the lucky ones.

I won't be selling up and changing systems, I have no reason to.

To the OP, no this is very much not dpreview, thank god. I hope it never is.

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon hate?

I agree that some people over-identify with their possessions. For them, it becomes like an irrational religious fervor -- based on belief, opinion, and personal honor. Once those factors have been embraced, it doesn't matter that it is a technology and not a belief structure. The result is similar -- must convince others of the rightness of their correctness, and keep a ready defense for any idea or paradigm that might destabilize the beliefs.

I try to be pragmatic in my technology, even though I do get excited and enthusiastic about learning new things, new purchases, and new uses for old equipment.

FM isn't perfect, but it has a terrific mix of really talented and generous image makers. Thanks for the input and support that we all rely on to keep this place interesting and informative.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:04 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon hate?

Not meant to bash on you in any way, but I don't really care what 'they' think.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:19 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon hate?

I still get great pics from my Dino,1D mk2n...btw I want another Dino the 1DSmk3...

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:57 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon hate?

I think its the same on camera forums as just about any other topic. Read computer forums and there are no shortage of people ranting and raving about Apple as though the company burned down their houses after locking their kids inside. So it is with Canon, Nikon or whatever other brand you choose. DPReview is just as anti-Sony, anti-Nikon, anti-Fuji or anti-whatever anytime something new comes along. Don't get me started on the hatred directed against Leica and Leica enthusiasts.

On purely technical or operational levels there is a lot to complain about with just about any camera. I love my Leica M Monochrom, but the fact is the rear LCD is crap even when compared to a 2006-era point-and-shoot. I just received my Canon 6D today (looks nice, can't wait to go shoot with it after work), but I knew going in that its autofocus is not idea for sports or action (I bought it for travel) and that it only has one card slot. Now the current rage is to bash on Nikon because the new Df isn't enough like either an FM2 or a D800, depending on which direction one is bashing from.

There are a few forums that are friendlier. Until now I thought GetDPI was about the best I've found with members who care more about the image and understand that the camera and lens is just the too used to obtain it. I am also very active on LeicaPlace, which though single brand, I learn a lot from.

I came over here a few times for the buy/sell lists, but a few days ago posted inquiries on both the Canon and the Nikon forums and got a lot of great information and advice from both. What impressed me was that nobody on the Nikon forum was insulting about the Canon models I asked about and ditto for the Canon forum re Nikon models. In the end, both Canon and Nikon forum users gave great advice.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:59 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon hate?

I don't have much to add to the existing posts, most of which I agree with, except to say that the extent of confrontation for confrontation's sake goes well beyond internet forums to include artificial confrontation and ugliness in our reality TV shows and our politics which is about nothing else but confrontation. Everything goes in cycles and I hope this one will ebb soon. In the mean time one needs to avoid or ignore it as much as possible. Good luck with that.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:17 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon hate?

Criticisms of Canon's weaknesses is welcome. It's a fundamental part of any gear forum that drives a lot of the discussion. I can do without the doom and gloom though and the overly broad statements about how Canon is so far behind and hasn't released anything worthwhile for years. It's usually based on a very narrow interpretation of what someone wants and expects from them. Canon owes me nothing. If their products don't work for me I'll sell and move on to something that does.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:21 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon hate?

I notice that the ones that bitch the most are the ones that are the worst photographers.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon hate?

I also found that criticizing Canon on Canon forum is allowed but not Sigma for example It reminds me Microsoft in computer world, everyone hate it but still using their products same time.

Anyway who cares, if camera makes great photos and you are happy why would you need to discuss anything? Just enjoy it, it is little old so what? ... If you are having problems or questions than it is different story.

Edited on Nov 15, 2013 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:48 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon hate?

Imagemaster wrote:
I notice that the ones that bitch the most are the ones that are the worst photographers.

Must be the crappy gear they use.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:04 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon hate?

I'm just a dad with a camera, perhaps though that means I sit in the biggest target demographic? I don't need masses of DR, nor do I need huge files for printing uber large. A3 is generally the largest I print, there is the occasional larger print but not more than half a dozen over the years. I don't shoot static objects, I want half decent AF for what I do shoot. So Canon do meet my needs with their current range. If my requirements were high DR and MP I'd be over in the Nikon sub-forum right now. I have no brand loyalty.

Saying that though my main camera is 9 years old and the backup 4! A 5D3 is on the cards next year. My interest in Canon bringing out a high MP body lies in what impact it may have on 5D3 second hand prices

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon hate?

Imagemaster wrote:

Or don't own the lens/camera that's being discussed. These people seem to become experts by reading posts on the same piece of camera equipment and in reality, have never used the equipment.

Remeber the creed of these individuals...."it's all about ME, what about ME". There life is in the first person.

I chuckle when I read their expert comments because they are usually wrong.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:22 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon hate?

Hate's a pretty strong word. I'd say there are people who are disappointed with Canon, especially if they've invested over $10,0000 in lenses and feel like Canon is slacking in R&D. There are just as many defenders of Canon, if not more, than complainers. People who are not even willing to acknowledge that anything good is happening at other camera brands. In general, I think I've noticed less discussion good or bad, on the Canon forums than in years past, mostly because Canon hasn't been pushing the envelope. Companies can't rest on their laurels when it comes to technology, what was so great 64K color, 30 years ago is not going to cut it in 2013.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon hate?

What exactly is this thread about? Hating haters? Hypocrites comes to mind.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:55 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon hate?

No, it's about discussing the mentality behind all of the vitriol. If you're unsure what I'm talking about, a quick trip over the DPReview should clear things up.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:13 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon hate?

I've said some nasty things about Canon Canada in the past, for which I apologize to Canon employees and their families.
I was in a drunken stupor at the time of making those hateful comments.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:15 PM
GoGo
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon hate?

PetKal wrote:
I've said some nasty things about Canon Canada in the past, for which I apologize to Canon employees and their families.

Are you the Mayor of Toronto?

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon hate?

Personally, it is not hate but frustration with little things.

How much was my 5D3 new? Look, it's a great camera, but did the testers of the pre-release models, and Canon themselves, not notice the crappy CF card eject mechanism? The weak battery door? The awful 'default to SD but not detect and revert to CF card when reinserted' function? The virtually useless SD write times?

It's the little things that reek of oversight that become magnified and indicative of a (slightly) rushed product.

Add to that the fact that it seems no one cares or is prepared to listen to us - beyond these forums.

The consumer shells out big money and doesn't expect to deal with those small, easily fixed at the time of design, shortcomings - they don't instill confidence.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Tony B
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon hate?

Not long ago I was told that Canon loved people like me who bought &, God forbid, liked the Canon 1DIII.There does not appear to be a similar amount of "hate" for other Canon offerings that in the opinions of some have far more negatives regarding their performance. The 7D for example has reasonable AF but lousy noise which some consider as important as AF-me included.
I would not buy the current 7D for reasons of my own. I would not buy the 1DX because the 5DIII meets my needs. I would buy a 1DIV if I could find one at the right price. At the present time I have chosen not to buy the 6D preferring to wait & see what transpires mainly because when I think rationally about the gear I have I realise I am being sucked in not so much by Canon but more by public opinion.
Especially when I have cash in my pocket as I have had sofor the last 6 months.
I am actually looking for something to spend it on.
I have no love hate relationship with Canon. I have chosen their system as a whole & buy bodies to fit within that system. I don't really care about Nikon , Sony, Olympus etc other than hopefully they push Canon to produce good quality products at a reasonable price. If I think Canon falls down in these areas I do not buy their product. I see no point in buying a product & bitching about it. Buyer beware. Other systems are by no means perfect.
I certainly do not hate Canon's products neither am I a fanboy. I am a photographer who has chosen Canon as my system warts & all.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:27 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon hate?

PetKal wrote:

Well played, Peter

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.