Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

For those of you that don't have a physical location (no official office and don't want to use your home), where do you meet prospective clients?

I had a beautiful little shop that I used with great success, but it just closed down and I'm in the dumps Trying to get a few ideas that aren't Starbucks.

Anyone have luck partnering with a local company/hotel/etc?

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:22 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Many cities have Temporary office space rentals. In my area one place is $50.00 a month and has large screen TV for slide show and internet. Nice décor and quiet conference room for meetings and presentations. You could setup almost any kind of display. You can also use the address on cards and web site.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:51 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Hotel lobbies work well.

- trr

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:53 PM
JakAHearts
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

I take them to The Melting Pot for chocolate fondue.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

People will say it's a bad idea, but honestly - a local coffee shop (I try to avoid Starbucks if at all possible). It's a little more comfortable, quiet, and less hectic. Usually larger tables. Easier to talk to them. I always offer to buy them coffee or a snack and just chat with them for an hour.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Agree with Todd - many hotels have beautiful lobbies and cafes. More important than the actual place to me is the geographic location. I've found that I will book 100% of the clients that make the effort to meet me in my town, at my studio. Booking a client is a little less certain if I'm asked to meet the client in their town or somewhere in between. The fact that a potential client will make the effort to meet me at my studio says a lot to me about their desire to book me. At that point it's mine to lose. If I'm driving to meet the client in their town then it's likely I'm just one of several they're meeting with and they're not as sold on me.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:35 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

TRReichman wrote:
Hotel lobbies work well.

- trr

+1

We have a place that we meet but if we didn't we'd do this.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:44 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Tony Hoffer wrote:
+1

We have a place that we meet but if we didn't we'd do this.

Yeah I meet in lots of different places as I travel frequently. My favourite and most popular though is a cocktail bar in a nice hotel. They do great coffee/soft drinks and the table service is great. It's always much nicer to have someone come over and take a drinks order then have to meet someone then immediately go off to get drinks.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Mitch W wrote:
Agree with Todd - many hotels have beautiful lobbies and cafes. More important than the actual place to me is the geographic location. I've found that I will book 100% of the clients that make the effort to meet me in my town, at my studio. Booking a client is a little less certain if I'm asked to meet the client in their town or somewhere in between. The fact that a potential client will make the effort to meet me at my studio says a lot to me about their desire to book me. At that point it's
...Show more

This is exactly why all our meetings are in our space.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:31 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Mitch W wrote:
The fact that a potential client will make the effort to meet me at my studio says a lot to me about their desire to book me.

...or have them meet you half way. That still invests them some while saving the photog. from making the entire trip.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

FWIW we've switched to a lot of phone/Skype consults. Obviously there are weaknesses to that approach, but we have a newborn baby and that makes the work/life balance benefit outweigh 40+ on-location meetings. We're already 75% booked for 2014 without sacrificing all that family time.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

TheGE wrote:
...or have them meet you half way. That still invests them some while saving the photog. from making the entire trip.

Yes, I did mention meeting in between. I agree, a little effort on the clients' part is better than none. I booked all but one of my 'away' consults this year. And go figure the one I didn't book was the only one that didn't even want to meet me half way. Lesson learned. More and more I am moving to only in-studio consults or phone/Skype consults. I think that's wise positioning from a business standpoint and how you want to be perceived.

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

skype/hotel/starbucks.. in no particular order or preference

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:02 PM
Njphotostudio
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Where I live, there is a nice Panera Bread with fireplace very nice and clean location.

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Hotel lobbies huh? Never thought of that. Do you get funny stares from the hotel staff once they realized that you're doing business and not a guest?

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Ghost wrote:
Hotel lobbies huh? Never thought of that. Do you get funny stares from the hotel staff once they realized that you're doing business and not a guest?

They either (a) don't notice, or (b) don't care.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

For those of you with your own space, is it your home, do you rent studio space, or something else? We've been sharing an office space with other wedding vendors, but are considering leaving that arrangement and thus need a new solution for meeting with clients.

Nov 16, 2013 at 04:36 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

Most of the ritzier hotels in my area would be put off by meeting in their lobby, or at least that's my assumption.

Have any of you asked permission from a hotel, or do you just show up in their lobby and sit down?

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:31 PM
byCalin

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

I pick the best coffee shop close to the client...sometimes clients request that. I am not talking about Starbucks, but an expensive coffee shop where you go "WHAT?" when you see the bill you always pay!

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:24 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Meetings & Consultations - Location?

JakAHearts wrote:
I take them to The Melting Pot for chocolate fondue.

No way. Are you serious? You're either a genius and/or a fast bastard.

Nov 20, 2013 at 05:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password