Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

Dooglestar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

Hi,

I just received a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 in the post which I bought on eBay. I have inspected it and everything looks great except when I turn the aperture ring the aperture does not open or close and seems to be stuck wide open. I'm waiting for a body to accompany it so can't test it when it's attached but it looks like the lens is defective. Does anyone know if this lens needs to be attached to a body for the aperture to work properly?

Thanks

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

Dooglestar wrote:
Hi,

I just received a Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 in the post which I bought on eBay. I have inspected it and everything looks great except when I turn the aperture ring the aperture does not open or close and seems to be stuck wide open. I'm waiting for a body to accompany it so can't test it when it's attached but it looks like the lens is defective. Does anyone know if this lens needs to be attached to a body for the aperture to work properly?

Thanks

Have you tried to stop it down and the move the lever on the backside?
The aperture should open or close even when the lens is not attached to a camera.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Dooglestar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

Yes I've pulled the lever back and turned the aperture ring but still no movement inside. I thought that if the aperture won't open or close, how can the aperture ring still turn?

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

I had a couple of Rokkors like this and had to have it fixed. It's pretty easy to fix (but I didn't do it myself). See if the seller will pay for it to be done.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Dooglestar
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

mcbroomf wrote:
I had a couple of Rokkors like this and had to have it fixed. It's pretty easy to fix (but I didn't do it myself). See if the seller will pay for it to be done.

Hi mcbroomf,

was it expensive to have it fixed?

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

I didn't pay, the seller did as it was defective. Sorry, if I knew then I've forgotten, but I don't believe it was expensive. I still have a 50/1.4 that developed the same problem after a little while but it came "free" with a body that I wanted so I never had it fixed.

Someone here may know what the issue is and if you can try it yourself.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM
waterden
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

These can stick open if not used for a period and jogging the aperture ring a few times may free it. If not I suggest you return it (assuming it was described as being in good working order) and look for a properly working one. If incorrectly described then you have a perfect right to do this. Ask for postage refund too. If the seller has a good record he will oblige readily. I don't suppose you will find it difficult to source another - these are terribly fashionable and fetch prices some think unrealistic although they do compare with other very fast lenses. I had one, bought a few years ago and sold last year for about five times my purchase price - a turn I could not resist. It was a great lens but very fine DOF wide open so hard to focus manually before the advent of focus magnification assist with mirrorless cameras. The 50/1.4 Rokkor is a good bet as is the 50/1.2. You might like to read this interesting piece if you've not already seen it.
http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20Reviews.html

Edited on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dooglestar
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

waterden wrote:
Return it and look for a properly working one. If incorrectly described then you have a perfect right to do this. Ask for postage refund too. If the seller has a good record he will oblige readily.

Hi, thanks for your input.

It's not that he incorrectly described it, he just didn't mention it. However, in my book, it's the same thing. Will eBay regard this in the same way you think?

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:59 AM
waterden
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

I have to say my experiences in the past with eBay's support have not been positive as they simply didn't want to know. If you paid by PayPal you may find them better in this regard. Hopefully the seller will respond positively if he/she has a reputation to preserve. BTW I edited my earlier response with a link to a comparative review of fast Rokkor standard lenses which you might find of interest.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

waterden wrote:
I have to say my experiences in the past with eBay's support have not been positive as they simply didn't want to know. If you paid by PayPal you may find them better in this regard. Hopefully the seller will respond positively if he/she has a reputation to preserve. BTW I edited my earlier response with a link to a comparative review of fast Rokkor standard lenses which you might find of interest.

This is also a good resource for manual minolta lenses: http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Dooglestar
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

OK, I'm unsure now of what to do. I waited so long for this lens I am tempted to try and fix this myself... If anyone knows of an online tutorial on how to do this please let me know.

thanks

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:18 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

This is what I would do;

Test it wide open to start with and find out if it's a sharp one. If it's not sharp enough for you then contact the seller and ask for a return.
If it is a good sharp copy then contact the seller and ask if he would pay for a repair.
If not then you have to decide if you want to return it (presumably he/she will agree) or get it repaired on your dime.
While this is going on you can see about quotes.

Mike

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:04 PM
waterden
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Defective Rokkor 58mm f/1.2?

Phillip Reeve wrote:
This is also a good resource for manual minolta lenses: http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas

Interesting link, thanks. Just checked my lenses and delighted to find that I have the MC PG 50/1.4 and the MD 135/2.8, which seem from this link to be the best of their respective Minolta MF peers. The latter, in particular, is still a very cheap lens but not to be confused with the distinctly inferior f3.5 variant. In preparation for the a7(r) i was revisiting my MD 24/2.8 on the nex-7 yesterday and pretty impressed by the results, albeit with corner softness, which I guess means the FF experience will be unimpressive. We shall see. No colour shift or light fall off evident though.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:43 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password