Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

I was in a wedding a couple weeks back and the photographer was using a Kinotehnik LCDVF viewfinder. I wasn't too familiar with the product and was just checking it out at B&H. I don't shoot video but I do shoot a lot of details, portraits and venue/landscape shots with MF Zeiss glass. I'm thinking it could be super helpful with these stills and also helpful in viewing images on the LCD in bright sunlight. My Zeiss 35 f/1.4 is one of my favorite lenses but I do have trouble nailing perfect focus and I'm often hesitant to use it because of the low keeper rate. I was wondering if anybody uses this product and what your thoughts are on it. Any ideas on other ways to work on my MF technique?

Here's the product:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887720-REG/Kinotehnik_lcdvf3c_LCDVF_Viewfinder_for_Canon.html/mode/edu

B&H Photo-Video Stock Photo

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:14 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #2 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

what are you using for a camera?

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

I would go Zacuto for shots that require it. If you're using Zeiss glass, the Zfinders are normally excellent and can give you an easier time hunting for focus. Realistically though, you need to bone up on MF skills more if you really want to use Zeiss glass during a gig. There are DOF and distance scales on the Zeiss lenses, use them.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:07 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

Hey aonavy- I'm shooting with two Canon 1DX. Let me know if you have any other ideas!

ATL, do you mean hone up? . The Zacutos are really for DSLR video shooters while the Kinotehnik are more geared towards stills. Thanks guys

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:34 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

I've got zacuto and have used it for stills. Works perfectly fine.

Nov 18, 2013 at 02:23 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

I use something like that for most of my outdoor daylight manual-focus shots.

I'll tell ya ... I've used loupes with the eyecup like the one you linked, that wraps around the eye, and I've also used loupes with a universal eyecup that's round. I prefer the round eyecup. Yes, the wrap-around eyecup blocks out the sun better but you wear the loupe around your neck on a lanyard and the lanyard twists; every time you reach for the loupe you never know what position it's in. With the round eyecup, you can grab it without looking and put it up to the eye no matter which position it's in whereas with the wrap-around eyecup you're always having to twist it around in the direction that it fits the eye.

Hope that all makes sense.

Below is the round universal eyecup on the left and the wrap-around eyecup on the right:

Nov 18, 2013 at 03:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

BostonGreg wrote:
Here's the product:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887720-REG/Kinotehnik_lcdvf3c_LCDVF_Viewfinder_for_Canon.html/mode/edu

The one thing that intrigues me about that product is that it attaches to the camera magnetically. I regularly use a loupe like that but it does not have any way of attaching to the camera. I just hold the loupe against the camera by the pressure of my head pushing against the loupe's eyecup. Never has been a problem really.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:05 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #8 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

I tried the Kinotehnik but couldn't get clear focus on my 5D3. The magnetic attach works ok.
I now use the Carryspeeviewfinder http://www.amazon.com/VF-3-Swivi-Universal-View-Finder/dp/B0098N59VA
It has adjustable diopter and screws to attach. It seems well made a and well thought out.

Nov 19, 2013 at 09:20 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

marko1953 wrote:
I now use the Carryspeeviewfinder http://www.amazon.com/VF-3-Swivi-Universal-View-Finder/dp/B0098N59VA

You use that for shooting stills? How do you look into the viewfinder? It looks like that piece that attaches to the tripod socket would get in the way of putting your eye up against the viewfinder.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

marko1953 wrote:
I tried the Kinotehnik but couldn't get clear focus on my 5D3.

The one that the original poster was asking about doesn't have an adjustable diopter? I don't think I'd get one without that feature.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.1 #11 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

D. Diggler wrote:
You use that for shooting stills? How do you look into the viewfinder? It looks like that piece that attaches to the tripod socket would get in the way of putting your eye up against the viewfinder.

No sorry not for stills, video, but I can see it being useful for close up manual focusing for stills, also you can flip the finder up quickly to view the LCD directly.

Nov 20, 2013 at 02:29 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Does anybody use Kinotehnik LCDVF Viewfinder?

Yeah I have a RRS L-Bracket on both of my 1DX's and this wouldn't work. I think I'll try out the Kin and see how I like it...can always return if I don't like it in the first month. Seems like an easy solution to toss on when needed and back in the bag when not. Thank s everyone!

Nov 21, 2013 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password