FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Hello Everyone,

A few more photos from my September trip to Murtle Lake (elevation is about 1,000 m, and depths up to 300m).

As you may recall, the landlocked salmon, Kokanee, that live in this lake are fairly small, and reproduce at a comparatively young age (2 years). Still, their looks and behavior is quite interesting.

The lake itself was created due to a dam of lava that blocked the valley it now resides in. Outflow is via a single river with impassible falls, and there were no fish living there originally. Rainbow trout and the Kokanee were introduced in the early 1900's, and it has since become an angler's destination (although the 2.5 km portage to get into the lake puts some people off).

Each fall, the Kokanee head up the creeks that feed into the lake to spawn. The fine gravel makes an excellent base for the fish to create a redd, or nest, to deposit eggs into. When you look at the creeks, you see red fish everywhere, but they are mostly swimming on the spot, in pairs or singly. A number of the fish you see are quite beat up, with fins, tails, parts of jaws, or skin missing. Eventually, they do complete the spawning process and die, as their genetics dictate.

I find the this final part of their life cycle, and the colors and beauty of the fish, quite fascinating.

1. Staking Out Territory - Swimming on the spot

2. Fishy Portrait - Notice the fleshy bits at the end of the lower jaw. I believe that is due to damage as the others did not have them. No crop.

3. Death Is Encroaching - After spawning, the fish die. It is not instantaneous, so you see weak and dying fish floating downstream, or along the edges of the creeks. This one was on a gravel edge, still breathing, and flicking its tail once in a while. Being partially out of the water, you can see how vivid its coloration is.

4. Death Has Arrived - This fish had recently died. It still shows bright colors and the eye is bright yellow. I posted this one in the previous set, but wanted it for comparison to the following pictures.

5. Fading - You can see the colors in this fish are losing their vibrancy and the eye color is only a pale yellow.

6. Decomposing - Those fish that are caught in the shallows, and don't get washed out to the lake, decompose and provide nutrition for various scavengers. This one is typical of those that had been on land for a fair number of hours I think the number of people at this site (edge of a campground) kept some of the bigger one away - eagles, mink, weasles, and the like. I didn't see many skeletal remains, as the run was not that old.

7. The Tail Tells A Tale - I saw a number of fish that seemed pretty healthy, but missing parts. This picture is of the same fish in #4, but I also saw similar, significant damage on many of the live fish. Beating the gravel with their body to create a redd is the predominant reason for the damage.

8. Caught In An Eddy - The pattern of water flow kept this fish on the bottom of the creek, in shallow pool (2 ft deep). On this part of the creek, most of the dead and dying fish simply washed down to the lake. Notice the caddisfly larva, in its gravel cocoon, feeding on the fish. The larva uses silk to make a protective cocoon of gravel, sand, twigs or other debris from the environment it is living in.

I hope you enjoyed reading and viewing a bit more about this pretty fish. If you have any thoughts on the images or text, I would really like you to share them in the form of comments.

Thanks for looking!!

Ken

Edited on Nov 16, 2013 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

These guys go from colourful to rot in no time. Glad you captured this!! Don

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM
canon.eos30d
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Very nice Ken. This is a rare salmon. I think I watched a documentary video about sockeye salmon once. This is very similar to sockeye salmon. Well captured , Ken

- Tam

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:26 AM
Reeftank1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Very well done Ken. This is some of the best quality that I have ever seen. You have a great eye for detail I have noticed.

Brian

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:46 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

NOt only neat Ken, but informative and well captured too. I really enjoyed this set ~ Ron

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:05 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Another extremely well done presentation Ken. Excellent detail and color.

Ted

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:41 AM
thomas_1950
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Splendid set of pics / documentary Ken. Excellent job!

Best,
Tom

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:49 AM
braam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Thank you for sharing more than images.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:34 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Excellent documentary Ken. I really enjoy posts like this one, ones that offer an opportunity for us to learn something. Not all of us live in an area with Kokanee, that makes the post that much more special. TFS and well done.

Tim

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:04 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Great shots and information Ken, thanks for both
David

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Very interesting set Ken, always good to see another side of nature.

Paul.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:30 PM
BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Hi Ken,
Fantastic documentary as well as fantastic photography!!
Great job
BeeBalm

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:27 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

very nice images and info Ken

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Good photo story, Ken. It is amazing how quickly this death-transformation takes place. I recall seeing those larvae in the Capilano River, North Vancouver, when I was a kid. We used to break off the gravel shell and use them for fish bait.

Tony

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Amazing set, Ken.
Close-ups of the last part of their life-cycle that are educational as well as examples of excellent photography.
Charlie

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:15 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

These are fine pics, Ken, as are all of yours. Nature recycles.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:46 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

great narrative and shots Ken. Their life cycle is so interesting to read. THANKS

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:09 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Super work Ken

Morris

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

Well I for one enjoyed part I greatly and am finding part 2 a great follow up Ken

Really great work in the media you had here. I am just loving the patina on #3, could be a US Postal Stamp IMO!
Great picture story telling session here buddy, again you did a great job.

Karl

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:34 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kokanee Salmon - Part Two

DonGut wrote:
These guys go from colourful to rot in no time. Glad you captured this!! Don

Thanks Don. Much appreciated.

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:49 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.