Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Awni

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mysteries of the E-M1

It is a choice to decide on the delay between shutter button being pressed and the shutter being released. You can select the delay and it would function similar to using a self-timer to prevent camera shake.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:32 PM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mysteries of the E-M1

I'm still in suspense waiting for mystery #2. Don't keep us waiting!

In all seriousness, Fuji has something similar with their "high performance mode" setting, which mysteriously defaults to off. Are they so worried about getting criticized for poor battery life that they'd rather make the entire shooting experience poorer? Seems shortsighted.

Edited on Mar 13, 2014 at 08:37 PM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:35 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mysteries of the E-M1

I think that setting affects AF speed right?

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:36 PM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mysteries of the E-M1

The Fuji one? As far as I know it affects AF speed and startup time.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Awni wrote:
It is a choice to decide on the delay between shutter button being pressed and the shutter being released. You can select the delay and it would function similar to using a self-timer to prevent camera shake.

No, you're describing the "antishock" feature.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Awni wrote:

No, what you've described is "antishock" in Olympus parlance. What's being discussed here is "release lag-time", which is different. Antishock adds a configurable amount of delay between pressing the shutter release and the shot being taken similar to a self-timer. Release lag-time allows the user to select from "normal" (default) and "short". In Short mode I believe the shutter curtain is cranked (for lack of a more accurate term due to my ignorance) and ready to go, held in place by something extra compared to the usual mechanism. You can hear this as a thunk in the camera when you switch to Short and exit out of the menu to go back to shooting. This is in contrast to Normal where the curtain is cranked at the time of shutter button press and then it moves. That's how the Short mode has less lag. It basically makes the shutter response go from fast to faster, not fast to slow like antishock does.

Here's a good discussion on what it does along with some sound recordings that show how the shutter noise changes when switching from Normal to Short.

What it does (speculation):
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52304147

How it sounds (not speculation):
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52306602

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:56 PM
folivier
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Maybe it's for someone coming from a cheaper p&s camera to keep lag time longer so they won't miss shots?

Mar 17, 2014 at 04:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password