Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Mysteries of the E-M1

ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Mysteries of the E-M1

I love my Olympus E-M1, but more than any other camera I've ever configured and used its workings are a mystery and I'm guessing as to how to set it up & use it rather than KNOWING what I'm doing and what's happening.

So I'm proposing this thread to hopefully clear up the mysteries of the E-M1 and encourage others to post their questions here too.

In two posts below, I will post my first two mysteries.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Is the manual no help?

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:24 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #3 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Mystery #1 -- Normal vs. Short "Release Lag Time".

The last item in menu bank C is lets you set Release Lag Time to either "Normal" or "Short".

I find that changing the release lag from "Normal" to "Short" makes the shutter more responsive, and alleviates shutter shock with the Olympus 75-300mm v2.

But I really don't know what this setting does, and what trade-offs are involved.

What do you think it does?

Below is all the manual says about it:

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Battery, and lifespan of shutter?

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:31 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Mysteries of the E-M1

zhangyue wrote:
Battery, and lifespan of shutter?

Based on the description of how it affects battery life I'm guessing it relates to the camera's idle "low-power" mode, from which maybe it takes longer for the camera to become ready to take a photo and respond to a shutter press vs a normal power mode. But that's just a wild guess.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:38 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Mysteries of the E-M1

It doesn't say anything about the lifespan of the shutter.

It sounds like a higher-energy option for everything to move quicker up to the taking of the shot. I have never heard of such an option before, but it may be electronically and/or mechanically related to the various silent shutter modes some cameras offer. Is the maximum shutter speed affected?

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 09:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:41 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Mysteries of the E-M1

It is a simple matter of very poor documentation - a confused and confusing writing style. Take a look around the web, there is usually someone who has a clue and has written a clear guide to the camera.

It is quite an achievement to refer to three unrelated issues in around 50 words, so let's celebrate this masterly effort.

And (s)he included an instruction in an asterisked note, hot stuff indeed. So only permit sharp impacts whilst not shortening the battery life by being so bold as to want to decrease shutter lag. Punishable by monitor failure, lol. Got it.

You often hear how educational standards are falling but it is not often you see it so glaringly on display.

I also am impressed by the 'priority is given' bit - how do you give non-IS lenses low priority if such a menu option is selected? That is a tricky business, that 'lens function operation'.

Why not simply have a responsive shutter and take what comes in terms of the battery life, which is affected by so many other factors?

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:42 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #8 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Very funny Philip!

But ... the fact remains. We have this setting, which seems to make a big difference in (1) camera responsiveness (2) shutter sound & feel (3) shutter shock (night & day difference @ 300mm with the 75-300mm)

... and no one so far seems to have any idea what it does.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Mysteries of the E-M1

ebrandon wrote:
Very funny Philip!

But ... the fact remains. We have this setting, which seems to make a big difference in (1) camera responsiveness (2) shutter sound & feel (3) shutter shock (night & day difference @ 300mm with the 75-300mm)

I think the theories presented in the thread are reasonable. I'm guessing it's a combination of power savings in the camera as a whole or in particular with the IBIS system.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Mysteries of the E-M1

Olympus owns stock in official guidebook publishers.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

photorebel
• • •
p.1 #11 · Mysteries of the E-M1

How about changing ISO…thru an FN button, like on the fuji cameras..is that possible?
Or do I have to go thru menus all the time?

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #12 · Mysteries of the E-M1

photorebel wrote:
How about changing ISO…thru an FN button, like on the fuji cameras..is that possible?
Or do I have to go thru menus all the time?

That's not really too mysterious. You can assign ISO to any function button.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Mysteries of the E-M1

ebrandon wrote:
Very funny Philip!

Is it an electronic first curtain? I'm not sure why that would decrease battery life, but it would help explain the shutter-shock and why you shouldn't jar the camera.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #14 · Mysteries of the E-M1

freaklikeme wrote:
Is it an electronic first curtain? I'm not sure why that would decrease battery life, but it would help explain the shutter-shock and why you shouldn't jar the camera.

That's a good possibility. If that's the case, how would jarring the camera cause the monitor to stop displaying images & require a hard restart of the camera?

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Mysteries of the E-M1

The E-M1 does not have an electronic first curtain.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Mysteries of the E-M1

ebrandon wrote:
That's a good possibility. If that's the case, how would jarring the camera cause the monitor to stop displaying images & require a hard restart of the camera?

My guess would be because the shutter ceases movement when it's jarred in exposure to avoid shredding it. If it were an EFC, then the second curtain wouldn't close, sticking the camera in an exposure mode and killing live view.

But that's all guessing. Snapsy seems fairly positive that's not it, though I'm not sure what else would explain your experience using the feature.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:22 AM
onewheeldrive

p.1 #17 · Mysteries of the E-M1

The manual is certainly a mystery

Mar 13, 2014 at 05:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Mysteries of the E-M1

onewheeldrive wrote:
The manual is certainly a mystery

...wrapped in an enigma.

Mar 13, 2014 at 07:23 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Mysteries of the E-M1

The sound changes and the shutter lag changes to much shorter times. You do lose about 60 shots in battery life.

Not sure how it affects ibis if at all.

Mar 13, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #20 · Mysteries of the E-M1

My results seem to show less shutter shock when I change the release lag time to short. I have no idea what it does exactly. You hear the camera changing something about the shutter when you switch between the 'normal' and 'short' setting.

Mar 13, 2014 at 08:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password