Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

turnstyle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

Hi all,

I've followed some discussions regarding whether the Lux 50 ASPH will perform optimally if it doesn't reach infinity focus a the hard stop.

I've also been interested in using a helicoid adapter to reduce the MFD.

Just wondering:

1) what is the reduced MFD for the Lux 50 ASPH with the helicoid engaged?

2) how is the IQ, with a subject near the reduced MFD with the helicoid engaged? (Happen to have any examples?)

Thanks kindly! -Scott

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:06 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

I am using a Lux 50 on a NEX 7, mounted via a Hawks' helicoid. It reduces the MFD by about 40%, which makes flower shots much more of a possibility. I happen to find the results very much to my liking.
Here are two examples

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:35 PM
turnstyle
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

Thank you kindly for sharing!

Any downsides to the Hawk's for regular shooting? (I assume you don't also use a 'regular' adapter?)

Nov 16, 2013 at 09:22 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

Yes, there is a minor downside. The Hawks' has a tab for focusing the helicoid. When that tab is not set for zero helicoid extension, and I focus the lens to infinity for a quick grab, I am so badly mis-focused it is not even funny. Same thing when I focus precisely, then adjust something else and knock the helicoid tab a bit. It just needs a bit of extra care when handling.

Nov 16, 2013 at 02:23 PM
turnstyle
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

Thanks -- have you heard anything about Voightlander's soon-to-be-released helicoid? Do you think it would address that problem? Thanks again...

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:58 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody have Lux 50 ASPH on a helicoid adapter (such as Hawk's)?

philber wrote:
Yes, there is a minor downside. The Hawks' has a tab for focusing the helicoid. When that tab is not set for zero helicoid extension, and I focus the lens to infinity for a quick grab, I am so badly mis-focused it is not even funny. Same thing when I focus precisely, then adjust something else and knock the helicoid tab a bit. It just needs a bit of extra care when handling.

Phil, I have a tabbed Cron; didn't want two tabs to deal with. The tab on the Hawk's is held on by 2 tiny screw. I believe they are #00 philips. Remove the screws and voila, comes right off.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.