Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon
Bryan from The-Digital-Picture just posted his Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon review .

Here is an excerpt:
“As I just said, I regard the Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE Lens as the best-available ultra-wide angle landscape lens available. This lens is also an excellent choice for architecture and other confined-space photography. The Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon T* ZE Lens offers very impressive build quality and excellent prime lens image quality in a made-for-landscape and architecture focal length.”

I agree that The Zeiss 15mm is an outstanding lens. However, Canon shooters also have the Canon 17mm f/4L Tilt and Shift lens as a consideration. Although not as fast, it should be a top choice for architecture and landscape photography.

Post your own review | Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon at B&H Photo

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Light_pilgrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

3000 USD....that is a lot. Makes 17 mm TSE a super good deal.

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:43 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Great review!

Wonderful lens, but I'm not unhappy with my 17 TSE, 16-35LII, and Samyang 14 -- all of which were purchased for just a little more than the Zeiss 15 sells for new! (17 TSE was purchased used)

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:09 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

The Zeiss is unusual in accepting front mounted - albeit very large and expensive - filters, for such a wide angle lens. Maybe if I won Lotto, it's such a beautiful lens.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:12 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #5 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

got to find a wealthy lens enthusiast with gear adhd

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I have the zeiss 15/2.8 and ts17.

I use the zeiss at night for the 2.8 and hard stop at infinity and the TS17 for dusk,dawn, day because I hate the uwa distortion that comes from an unleveled uwa lens or alternatively the loss of 1/2 the usable pixels if it is leveled.

Both great fanastic lens with the zeiss being sharper but less usable.

The only lens that comes close is the nikon 14-24 with novoflex but it yields the same problems as the zeiss for uwa distortion and is not as good at ca and other distortion.

The samyang 14 is pretty good for resolution but is not close to zeiss for anything else.

The canon 14/2.8 is only better at being 14 and cheaper than the zeiss.

But the zeiss is great in the night !

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:56 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I was considering, but darn, that price….

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Jeffrey wrote:
I was considering, but darn, that price….

I was considering it too, but found that it wasn't that much better (if at all) than my Nikon 14-24. It certainly vignettes more than the Nikon, and displays more coma effects at the edges; both aspects made it a poorer choice for night shooting than my 14-24. Overall, though, the Zeiss is a pretty awesome lens. I just love the build quality.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Pity about the hood.

The ZM Distagon 15 has it too.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #10 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

You can get the ZE without the hood, but it will cost you extra.

-Tim

sirimiri wrote:
Pity about the hood.

The ZM Distagon 15 has it too.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

So: you buy your Distagon, send it to Zeiss, they shave the hood (and dispose of it), and return it to you with a bill for $340?

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Hood?

I like the hood, as is. No fuss, no muss. Always ready, in shooting position. Can't forget to bring it.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:26 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #13 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I think you can work out getting it removed before the dealer sends it...but I'm not sure about that. Got mine back in October of last year, so that ship has already sailed.

I've been able to use the filters that I need to use, even with the hood, although I do think about having it removed at times. But then there is NO hood option at all.

-Tim

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:30 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.1 #14 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

Kind of wish Bryan had a copy of the Samyang 14/2.8 to try- inferior in every way, but at 1/10th the price, I'd like to have seen just how close that magic Korean lens might come.

On a 6D, boats returning from the lake after fireworks on the Fourth:

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:23 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

You can remove the hood , though not sure what that does to your warranty its not that difficult.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:39 AM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #16 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I had been debating the merits of the Canon 17 TSE and the Zeiss 15mm for a few months. I finally opted for the Zeiss due to the ability to take standard filters, the wider field of view and the faster f/2.8 aperture. I have yet to fully explore the creative potential of this lens, but I am already impressed with the image quality in the brief time that I have had the lens.

With regard to the hood - I originally thought that I might opt for having it removed, however, after shooting the lens around waterfalls I found the hood to be really useful in keeping my polarizer more dry. After that experience I'm definitely going to keep the hood.

Finally, I want to thank Scott, Tim and Rajan for sharing their opinions on the Zeiss with me.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #17 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I keep reading that the 17mm f/4L TS-E can't be used with filters...

It's true that when the lens was introduced in 2009, there were no options for adapting filters. That was indeed a big drawback, especially for landscape photographers.

After a while, we figure out a way to adapt Lee filters on it and started shooting with a DIY adapter without any issues.

A few weeks back, Lee introduced a filter adapter dedicated for the 17mm TS-E.

Basically, either adapter allows one to use 100mm Lee filters on it with more than half of the total amount of shift movement and full tilt.
If you want full shift while using filters, Fotodiox offers the Wonderpana adapter dedicated for this lens. I have it and can confirm that 12mm shifting can be done without vignetting.

Currently with all the choices, the 17mm TS-E has more filter options than the Zeiss 15mm.

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:13 AM
MIRANDA1

p.1 #18 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

RobDickinson wrote:
You can remove the hood , though not sure what that does to your warranty its not that difficult.

Well I assume if you have it removed by Zeiss it shouldn't affect your warranty.

I really struggled with the decision to keep or remove the hood. I would really like to use my Lee grads and solid density filters, in the end I decided against removing it and instead went the 95mm Heliopan screw in filters.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:08 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I hardly ever shoot with hoods (on wide lenses). Only the sy14 because its fixed...

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:09 AM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #20 · TDP Review: Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon

I investigated some of the filter options available for the 17 TSE and simply did not find them to be a very compact solution (particularly the Wonderpana system). I generally like to hike with a pretty small pack and often times have my lenses mounted with filters ready to go - hence using standard filters was high on my list. I would agree that if you are a frequent user of GND filters then the Lee system is an excellent option

Nov 15, 2013 at 07:31 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password