Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Can you tell the difference?

M I K E
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can you tell the difference?

Hi

Can you tell the difference between a £200 camera, an £800 camera and a £5,000 camera viewed at the normal Facebook/web size?

I did a comparison between a D3100, D800 and Leica M5

http://www.creativephotography.gg/can-you-tell-the-difference/

See if you can tell

Nov 14, 2013 at 02:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can you tell the difference?

Definitely, no. Unless, the cameras were the subject of the photo.

M5 - that's a BMW, right?

P.S. it would be a lot easier for me to do the comparison if you posted the images here.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:20 PM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can you tell the difference?

Like most ill-defined comparisons, the answer is "it depends."

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can you tell the difference?

Of course not much. The formats are rather similar and the lenses make most of the difference.
Let's see comparisons with 6x7 and 4x5 formats.

EBH

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can you tell the difference?

Considering you could PP any of those to look alike or not - it's kind of tricky.

We can add gain, subtract it, correct or distort, sharpen or blur, any number of devious tactics to trick the eye and introduce bias.

Using different poses (light hits her differently, etc) also makes it hard to discern differences, as does web compression - so the answer is an emphatic, no!

Now, take those cameras out in the real world and shoot in some challenging situations - detailed landcsape, action and low light - then let's see.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can you tell the difference?

Any image viewed at FB image display standards will look funky with a general loss of contrast, smeared details and plenty of noise artifacts. Image compression on FB is so extreme that the small quality differences in a low rez image are pretty much obliterated.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can you tell the difference?

I seem to remember Dan Mitchell did the same thing a couple of years ago. Of course you can't tell - with the web downsizing you remove all the detail that would demonstrate the difference. Indeed, so long as the image doesn't include some format specific creative quality such as shallow DOF, you could throw in an iPhone shot to that comparison too and people wouldn't know.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Legion5
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can you tell the difference?

M I K E wrote:
Hi

Can you tell the difference between a £200 camera, an £800 camera and a £5,000 camera viewed at the normal Facebook/web size?

http://www.creativephotography.gg/can-you-tell-the-difference/

See if you can tell

While this seems like a fun and lovely project. You're comparing something all the cameras you tested are GOOD at - you're comparing common strengths, and then differentiating them by their price. A useful comparison looks at the differences between two products, anyone can compare similarities and conclude that quality is similar.

I too once did a comparison... a 13k Honda, a 65k Mercedes Benz, and a 200k Ferrari... which screw belongs to which car?

Here's an example of what comparing differences gives you on the other hand:

Here's a high end point and shoot ($400), that's best in class, against a low end DSLR and lens ($750). Both shot at ISO 1000 1/15th.

Same exact setup, same lighting, same everything (for second one used slightly different subject, excuse the lens cap instead of body cap)

See if you can tell

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:51 AM
M I K E
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can you tell the difference?

Interestingly enough a couple of Leica owners identified the Leica pic in seconds.

When you see the amount of posts when a new camera comes out about what it has/hasn't got and what it should have and how they would buy it if it were ever so slightly different.

In the real world (at least the world we view most pictures through) it doesn't really matter.

Unless you own a Leica it seems, then it matters

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:17 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can you tell the difference?

M I K E wrote:

As a long time Leica M user I chose picture C as the Leica shot before I saw the responses. The detail in her iris and the rendering of her cheeks give it away. BTW the M5 is a film camera; I assume that's a typo up there in your OP.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:59 AM
OBXGuide
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can you tell the difference?

Legion5 wrote:
I too once did a comparison... a 13k Honda, a 65k Mercedes Benz, and a 200k Ferrari... which screw belongs to which car?

LMAO..... Now THAT's funny! Thanks for brightening my day.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:47 AM
M I K E
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can you tell the difference?

Hi Peter n

Cheers, yes, sorry it's the type 240, no the M5, my mistake.

B is the Leica, C is the D800.

Cheers

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:32 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can you tell the difference?

Aha! Good to be wrong I guess, I like Leica glass but it's not the sharpest.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:49 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can you tell the difference?

If you do sports photography you can tell, you need the higher frame rate. If you do nightclub photography you can tell, you need the High ISO performance. If you do landscapes you can tell, full frame makes a huge difference. For stuff like this no you can't tell.

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:37 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can you tell the difference?

Here we go again :-p

Nov 17, 2013 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.