Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Renting and purchasing gear.

igmolinav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Renting and purchasing gear.

Hi,

I live far from a city where there may be a store with photographic
products to try and see. I am thinking about
going to the closest city where they may have a
rent program as well. That is between two and
three hours from where I live. I would like to use
for a maximum of two hours the pieces of equip-
ment that I am interested the most and I would
rent them. I don't think I would need much more
time to make up my mind in order to know what to
purchase. I would pay the agreed renting price for
the equipment. Is it common to be refunded the
paid price for the rented equipment if one buys it
afterwards? So, if I rent a 50 mm. lens for "X" price,
can I get a refund of "X" towards my purchase?
Is it a common practice?

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

P.S. Do you always rent or "play" a bit with some-
body's equipment before puchasing it? Or do you
usually do a mail order and let yourself to be surprised?

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:41 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Renting and purchasing gear.

there aren't too many places that rent & sell like that. Most of the rental places have short (< 1 week) rates and there is no prorating.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:49 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Renting and purchasing gear.

I usually just do the research and then purchase the equipment that I have a need for. I typically buy it from a dealer that has a decent return policy, but I've rarely returned anything, but I've been a photographer a looong time and tend to know what I want/need. I would suggest calling the rental place you are considering and finding out what their policy is. If you belong to CPS, Canon allows you to try equipment out 3 times for a max of two weeks a time so for that you would just have to pay shipping/insurance. I live in a very rural area also and the nearest "real" camera store or rental place are about 6 hours away. I've rented online from lensrentals.com but don't know if they have a rent to buy type option, I know they do sell rentals from time to time.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Renting and purchasing gear.

I would buy from B & H photo, Adarama or Amazon if it is a new item. I usually buy hear from the buy and sell section for used items and never had any UN resolved issues. Most here will give you a 3 day period to test an item out and if you are not happy will allow you to return the item epesially if it doesn't meet the ad that was made. I been in photography since the 70's. And always live in small towns that may have one small camera shop if that. The nearest place that deals in used items is over two hundred miles away. I read several magazines, and several blogs on photography and always have at least one ebook on my iPod on photography that I'm reading . As I'm retired and do photography mainly as a hoppy now I purchase quality items used to help with the cost, most of my equipment is expensive and takes a month to save up for sometimes it longer.

My suggestion would be find a photo store that has the item your looking at and take your body if it's a lens and most will allow you to mount it on your body in the store and shoot several frame while they watch. They have demo units for this, if it works then you can buy it from them or elsewhere like I said I do my research and know what the online cost with shipping if you have to pay for it and tax depending on your location compare that to the retail price your being quoted at the store and compare the two prices I've seen some stores allow the item to be sold for less than the quoted price usually around half the difference between you online price plus shipping and their retail price. But not many.

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:48 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Renting and purchasing gear.

www.lensrentals.com

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:21 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Renting and purchasing gear.

I buy 'n try (used) since nobody really shoots like me. Keep what works, sell the rest.
I'm usually only out shipping (and sometimes PP fees) and consider it a cheap rental
to get exactly the "kit" that works for me. Built up a great reputation in the process.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:28 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Renting and purchasing gear.

I rent these days and count the cost as research.
I used to work at a camera store and we despised those that "bought" and returned gear because they wanted to try it out.
If one has a legitimate reason to return gear (defective, wrong item shipped, inappropriate gift) fine; otherwise live with your decisions.

One will note that both B&H and Adorama and others have relatively generous return policies. That is because as the 800lb gorillas left standing in retail camera sales they can call the tune to the manufacturers. Small local shops want to be generous but they lack the resources to cater to the selfish.

I know I sound testy but I long ago grew tired of the "small local stores are stupid and don't have any stock" stories. Yes there are some out there but only because they are the last hangers on of a segment that once actually provided lots of value to consumers. Once the local stores go, the average person will have to talk to the Target "associate" with the blank stare.

Nov 20, 2013 at 03:39 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Renting and purchasing gear.

You don't mention where you live.

In Portland, Oregon, you can rent from Pro Photo Supply and they will credit the rental cost towards purchase.

I'd follow Trenchmonkey's advice and buy used, sell what doesn't work for you.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.