Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; lim...

e6filmuser
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

Greg Campbell wrote:
I think you can get adapters for most MF mounts that enable the camera's AF confirm function. .

If you buy one of these check it out. I had one which confirmed focus irrespective of how in or out of focus the subject was.

Harold

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:31 PM
the solitaire
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

Two23 wrote:
I reject the idea that older manual lenses offer better image quality. Just as cameras have changed over the past 40 years, lenses have changed just as much. The newer lenses have more than precision AF. They also have far better coatings, elements, design, and internal baffling. I haven't even mentioned VR yet.

Kent in SD

I agree. A lot has happened in these past few years and camera manufacturers would not invest as much as they do in engineering and lens design as they do if it wouldn´t lead to real improvements.

Two23 wrote:
Even my $100 Nikon 18-55mm VR kit lens outperforms the old lenses in terms of saturations, resistance to flare, and sharper edges.

Kent in SD

I disagree. Many modern lenses, especially the milk-cow lenses like kit zooms perform on a level camera manufacturers wouldn´t dare have released 30 years ago. At 50mm all of my 50mm primes outperform the 18-55 in regards to sharpness, color rendering, distortion and light falloff at the same aperture by a large margin. The 18-55 outperforms the 50mm lenses at all other focal lengths because the prime only has a single focal length it works with.

My reason to use vintage lenses on a modern camera is that from an artists point of view the older lenses offer rendering of out of focus subjects, color and contrast that I prefer over what newer lenses have to offer at the focal lengths I use the vintage lenses at.

That by no means indicates that these vintage lenses perform better under lab conditions. It only means that I like what they do in the field better then what these newer lenses do.

For the record, I have no trouble getting the focal plane there where I want it with manual focus lenses with APS-C cameras or any other cameras. Most modern cameras have lots of aids older cameras did not have. I would be very surprised if with all these modern aids I would not be able to get the focus there where I want it, regardless of the aperture used, where photographers back in the day managed to do the same without the aid of an LCD, USB connection, WiFi live upload, Live View, digital focus confirmation and whatnot. I would feel very inadequate as a photographer if I would fail to get a sharp picture out of todays instant result cameras with a lens that was used for some of the more memorable photographs back in the day and on film.

Nov 20, 2013 at 07:19 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

the solitaire wrote:
I disagree. Many modern lenses, especially the milk-cow lenses like kit zooms perform on a level camera manufacturers wouldn´t dare have released 30 years ago. At 50mm all of my 50mm primes outperform the 18-55 in regards to sharpness, color rendering, distortion and light falloff at the same aperture by a large margin. The 18-55 outperforms the 50mm lenses at all other focal lengths because the prime only has a single focal length it works with.

Yup, consumerism has taken over the industry resulting in a lot of low-quality equipment.

People also have different expectations of price point. 30 years ago only very serious hobbyists and professional photographers could afford to own SLRs, and serious people were usually willing to invest serious money, so there was very little demand for subpar-performance SLR lenses. High-quality 50mm primes were the kit lenses of those days. Nowadays, times are different -- you can pick up a Rebel in a Black Friday sale for a couple hundred bucks, and if you're one of those average people who isn't necessarily serious about photography, and buying an SLR just because they're inexpensive enough for you to afford, you're probably also not going to want to shell out thousands on lenses compared to what you paid for the camera.

There is (unfortunately) now a strong market demand for low-quality camera equipment at rock-bottom prices, and that's what has largely been driving this trend.

Edited on Nov 21, 2013 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

the solitaire
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

Nikon´s new nifty 50 is quite amazing though. I have just seen a bunch of pictures taken with just the AF-S 50 f1,8G and a D90 and they look amazing. I might be tempted to buy one, even if that´s my 5th 50´ish mm lens.

Nov 20, 2013 at 08:19 PM
jasoninak
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

Up until I sold my Nikon gear very recently, I used a beat up $50 55mm f/3.5 Ai Micro-Nikkor, and it was awesome. I actually mailed that beauty off to a new home just yesterday.

I would like to find something similar for my Canon setup, as I rarely shoot macro enough to spend a lot of money on it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:18 PM
wuxiekeji
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Do you use manual lenses; tired of it; and autofocus; limitations?

jasoninak wrote:
I would like to find something similar for my Canon setup, as I rarely shoot macro enough to spend a lot of money on it.

You shouldn't have sold that Nikkor if you liked it. Nikkor Ai lenses are extremely easy to convert or adapt to Canon ...

Nov 21, 2013 at 03:22 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password