Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

tonyhart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Hello gentlemen. Been a few weeks since I've shared one so thought I'd give this one up. I shot the Groom's sister's wedding last year, was a blast. Always nice to work for the same family twice. Both events have been really intimate with only immediate family and close friends invited to the ceremony. An extremely moving one for sure.

Critiques welcome.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:05 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #2 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

change up your camera angles/shooting position every now and then. go prone, climb up on something, put some OOF layers between yourself and the subjects, frame your subjects within the environment.

some good shots in there, but it kinda gets boring after a while.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:17 AM
sgtbueno
• •
p.1 #3 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Tony,
I only like few from before the ceremony but everything after that is fantastic.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:20 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #4 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Fair point James. I was perhaps a little on the safe side with this coverage. Felix, I know what you mean - didn't feel like the early stages were in quite the same gear. Thanks for taking the time folks.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:42 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

jamesmorophoto wrote:
change up your camera angles/shooting position every now and then. go prone, climb up on something, put some OOF layers between yourself and the subjects, frame your subjects within the environment.

some good shots in there, but it kinda gets boring after a while.

I feel the urge to disagree with this vehemently. Different angles and out-of-focus stuff won't make the images any more meaningful to the client. I highly doubt they find the content or images boring. Don't let the Fearless-nonsense of the photography industry allow you as the photographer to lose respect for what is happening. The client wants their wedding to be what it is, they don't want a photographer believing that it is boring and needs photo-gimmickry to make it interesting. Really well-done, client-focused set. Not enough accolades for that kind of thing around here, and I think you should be commended for it.

- trr

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:58 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #6 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

What Todd said. I think your timing in this set is fantastic with some really nice moments captured.

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:47 AM
pattyw
• • •
p.1 #7 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Beautiful light for the ceremony and what great weather you had! You captured some really nice moments and I really like your processing... the b&w especially.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

I'd touch up underarm shadow on 30. A lot of quality shots here.

Nov 14, 2013 at 02:24 PM
NikonGuyIsHere
• •
p.1 #9 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Quality stuff here. This is what one should expect from a wedding photographer. Great job.

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Thanks for the feedback guys, good shout on the underarm - that could have been softened a bit. Actually the reason we were inside was because of the rain during the ceremony Patty, but no complaints as the light was gorgeous.

Todd, thanks. I certainly wouldn't have wanted photo-gimmickry either! That said, I think I was perhaps a little 'square-on' in my coverage - particularly in this selection. I reckon I could have added a touch more variety without compromising the focus on the wedding itself.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #11 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

I'm going to echo what most other people have said here, before the ceremony is sold but a touch safe. Wouldn't be unhappy getting those images but wouldn't be blow away either. After the ceremony it gets a lot better.

I'm curious, did you feel that at the time? Did anything change during the day?

Akex

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:20 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #12 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

ps. I do find it interesting that 90% of the photos here are shot from eye level. Is that deliberate? It makes things feel very first person.

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:22 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #13 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Alex totally agree. I did feel in the morning that I was producing quite bland/safe images, and I definitely felt like things improved during the ceremony. That said, after the ceremony there were some issues so I was less confident about the evening stuff.

Why do I think it was a little less stellar in the morning? Good question. It was quite a way from home and I stayed over nearby the night before so I was with the bride quite early. They didn't start getting ready till later than they planned to so I had quite a long period of time with them without much really happening. I think that was part of it. Also, the cottage had really low ceilings and inside it was very boring to look at. Don't get me wrong, lovely place, I'd be happy to live there, but it was quite featureless from a photographic perspective. White walls with very little on them, white ceilings, etc. There was also less hustle and bustle than perhaps I'd have liked. Hair was getting done, but that was sort of it. There wasn't breakfast in the next room or another area where things were happening, it was just relaxed and quiet. Which is fine, obviously, but it didn't lead to an overdose of dynamism.

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:30 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #14 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

ai3x wrote:
ps. I do find it interesting that 90% of the photos here are shot from eye level. Is that deliberate? It makes things feel very first person.

Sorry, had written the other reply first.

Yes and no. I always try and think of my work as being from the point of view of a close family member. I want it to feel observational and I think that shooting from a typical viewpoint helps in this regard. So yes, intentional in that way.

However I think most tropes can be overdone and this set would be stronger if things were a little more varied. I try and avoid the extremely unusual, (unless it works well, with good reason behind it) because it can feel contrived in a PJ setting but yep, extra variety here wouldn't have gone amiss.

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:34 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #15 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Somehow your posts always get me thinking Tony!

Just been looking at Jeff Ascough's work. His choice of PoV is quite interesting, he never goes to big extremes but he does always seem to give you a view which is just outside of the average. He often seems to shoot as if he were a child or a giant. Not massively extreme, just enough to make you realise you're not looking through your own eyes but that of someone else.

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:52 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #16 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

As a side note, it's also interesting how much he uses quotes on his website

Nov 15, 2013 at 02:54 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #17 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Glad to get the cogs turning if nothing else! Interesting points on Ascough. In my early days he was my hero, slightly less so now though I still LOVE his work. I quite often shoot children from childlike heights, blending them with the forest of adult legs. This sort of thing:

I'll say this, looking back at this set with fresh eyes, I was surprised myself at the squareness.

As for the quotes, very interesting you should say that. Ascough and his use of quotes was EXACTLY what I had in mind. I've always thought it worked well and have been planning to so something similar myself this off-season.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:10 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #18 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

Yeah I remember you posting that one before and really liking it

Interesting about squareness, I know I'm always battling with being too square and too literal in my work.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:22 AM
truehuss
• • •
p.1 #19 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

I can see what everyone is saying (even Todd as I have been known to do that on occasion. Although I disagree in this instance ) . From the beginning I was thinking the same. It seemed to me like you were tired in the beginning and needed to heat up . lol. I know because I just finished up my last wedding of the year and I felt like I was being a little too static until I woke up Either way, its a solid set and I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:32 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · C+D // Wedding - Blake Hall

I wont comment on camera angles etc. because our opinion is our opinion and has really no bearing on why you choose to do what you do.

For the photos...
My only two critiques is that you showed to many getting ready photos with the girls and #19 does not really work. I understand the shot in the context of the wedding but it just seems a little out of place with things. The next shot tells the story enough I think.

Great set again. I appreciate the simple (first person) way you see things and choose to document them. You always capture honest moments between people and do a fantastic job of showing the story of the day.
Others say to change it up etc. and that is a fair thing to say but I find the simplicity and straightforwardness of your work very pleasing. You are not letting fanciness get in the way of your couples story and moments.

Keep kicking ass

Also love the grain in some of the high iso shots.

Nov 16, 2013 at 01:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password