New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 ICNR

Lan11
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 ICNR

Here is a comparison of in-camera NR effect on quality at identical camera settings and NR set to OFF:

http://web.ncf.ca/fm568/E-M1%20and%20E-m5%20icnr/Comparison.html

I wrote in my previous notes that it will be very hard for Olympus to improve excellent E-M5 file quality.
At ISO 200 there is practically no difference between cameras, but at higher ISO the effect of the E-M1 heavier ICNR results in some loss and smearing of detail (watercolour effect). This is subtle, but already visible at ISO 800.
One can only wonder if it was a cautionary decision to mitigate moire or a cost reduction.
Those who expected benefits associated with the filter absence will be disappointed.

The paradox of the filter removal and boosting ICNR is similar to the Fuji sensor design which only exacerbated the problem it was suppose to eliminate.

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:04 PM
juju1958
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 ICNR

Lan I was quite surprised on viewing the first images coming from the EM-1 . I was not seeing any improvement over the EM-5. In many cases it seemed images were not as good a quality. I still see this when I revisit those images. I am also aware of the power of Persuasion that the latest and greatest and the most expensive aught to have improvements. I am aware of the many other improvements of the EM-1 over the EM-5 . I am as yet not convinced this is in image quality.
I have always wondered how weak the AA filter of the EM-5 is, as many images do not need sharpening when good lenses are in use.
I do not use in camera Jpeg s and never have so maybe the EM1 would be just up my street, and in time maybe I'll take a look. But not for now, which is only due to the fact that I have enough cameras at the moment. Thanks for the post.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Lan11
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 ICNR

juju, You're very welcome. I was also surprised.
I presented v. small crops from the full frame. To better evaluate the impact of the ICNR on the M1 vs. E5 files you can grab the screen shot of each, apply identical additional NR and check results. The M1 has many improvements, but picture quality is not among them.
Also a primitive ($200.00) M1 battery holder and costly lens hoods, sold separately, look like are rip-off.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.