Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

corposant wrote:
Does the iShoot grip for the X-E1 work on the X-E2?

Just to confirm: Yes, it does. The cutout for the screen does overlap the X-E2 screen bezel by a little bit, but it doesn't appear to pinch it or anything. No rub marks were left. If you really wanted to make sure that didn't cause an issue, you could take a dremel to the rear lip and take off about 1/8" of the lip on the right side, but I don't think it's necessary.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

itai195 wrote:
Looks like a Gordy's strap

Yup, it's a Gordy's. Really like it.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:32 PM
you2
• • •
p.2 #3 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

You have snow already ?
-
So how is EVF visiblity in very bright light ? The model I played with completely washed out on a sunny day.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:34 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Yeah, we had one night of snow. About 3/4" or so. It's all melted already, but it was cold this morning...just clear. (about 27F this morning, so cold, but not frigid).

EVF is fine. Remember you can adjust EVF brightness. I haven't had issues with it washing out unless the image preview is showing major overexposure, but that gives you an idea of your final exposure. Right now I have the EVF brightness maxed out, but it doesn't clip unless I'm overexposing. The DR in the EVF isn't quite as good as the one in the E-M1, but it's still probably in-line with the one on the GX7...very good. The big thing has been the increased refresh, and the EVF looks really good even in low light. It's a major, major improvement. I don't think I realized how big an improvement it would be, but it's huge.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Just to confirm: Yes, it does. The cutout for the screen does overlap the X-E2 screen bezel by a little bit, but it doesn't appear to pinch it or anything. No rub marks were left. If you really wanted to make sure that didn't cause an issue, you could take a dremel to the rear lip and take off about 1/8" of the lip on the right side, but I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks - would you say that if you were happy (or "satisfied") with the AF on the X-E1, it would probably be worth skipping this upgrade?

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:16 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

corposant wrote:
Thanks - would you say that if you were happy (or "satisfied") with the AF on the X-E1, it would probably be worth skipping this upgrade?

I think that is a question that Jordan, nor anyone else can really answer for you since everyone is unique in their needs.

For me, it was the lag of the EVF that drove me crazy on my X-E1, not the AF. Faster AF would be great of course, but for how I shot, it wasn't a deal breaker.

X-E1's are going for amazing prices these days used, sub $500 sometimes, so its a great deal, and the f/w updates have improved the AF a good bit. BUT....as I said, it comes down to the issue of if the AF alone is a make or break thing for you.

Lack of min shutter speed w/ auto ISO and laggy EVF just killed the camera for me, but those issues might not concern you in the slightest.

I think a lot of people are quite happy with the X-E1 still, just as plenty of people are still loving the original X100 even after the X100s came out.

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:31 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.2 #7 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Can't believe Adobe still hasn't gotten it together on the X-Trans de"bayer" (detrans?).

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

And colour. Adobe can't really do good colour either, for many many cameras.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:22 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
I think that is a question that Jordan, nor anyone else can really answer for you since everyone is unique in their needs.

For me, it was the lag of the EVF that drove me crazy on my X-E1, not the AF. Faster AF would be great of course, but for how I shot, it wasn't a deal breaker.

X-E1's are going for amazing prices these days used, sub $500 sometimes, so its a great deal, and the f/w updates have improved the AF a good bit. BUT....as I said, it comes down to the issue of if the AF alone is
...Show more

I'm still curious to hear his opinion. All of the issues you mentioned are problematic but don't really preclude me from continuing to use mine.

I hadn't been watching the used market, but wow. I think I may IR-convert mine if that's what the market dictates.

I know I'll be watching for the huge lens discounts if I do want to upgrade in the future...

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:25 PM
Sal Baker
• •
p.2 #10 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I'm just getting ready to order an X-E2. Being new to the Fuji X cameras I haven't been able to figure out what the variable DR adjustment is really doing. Is it a curve setting, tone mapping, contrast adjustment? Thanks!

Sal

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I agree that it's not a question I can answer. I was generally fine with the X-E1, but I didn't ever grab it when I really needed the shot. I think (don't know for sure, it's been a day) that I can use the X-E2 for most anything except shooting high speed action sports. Basically, almost every flaw I found with the X-E1 has been fixed. There are still a few things they need to change. The bracketing is still pretty poorly implemented, and they could expand the PDAF outside the center 9 AF points. I want to program the function buttons to ANY function. Customizable Q menu would be great, and a few other minor things, but overall they've made a very good camera into a great camera.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:54 PM
itai195
• • •
p.2 #12 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Sounds awesome. Mine should be arriving today!

Hopefully the X-E3 has a tilt screen and incremental improvements in EVF, sensor, and overall responsiveness. I don't think Fuji need to improve much else with the existing design.

Nov 14, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Elusivesouls

p.2 #13 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Yeah, I own the X-E1, X100s, and X-E2. There is a significant step up from each one in terms of responsiveness and AF. I have easily captured people in motion with the X-E2 without having to snap several shots. Quite a few times, I was certain it would not grab focus (so used to the X-E1) of a moving target and then it would snap the shot and come out perfectly in focus.

I have not had it very long but I notice the difference when I go back to the X-E1.

Nov 15, 2013 at 01:05 AM
shujert

p.2 #14 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

How's the responsiveness of the x-e2 in comparison to the x100s?

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:18 AM
jonrock
• •
p.2 #15 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jordan, how big is the drop off in AF speed in the areas that aren't covered by PDAF? Also, how good is the tracking AF now in the X-E2?

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Elusivesouls

p.2 #16 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I will compare the x100s and X-E2 in more detail to answer your question later today, but from what I can tell off the top of my head... In terms of handling and general use, I still feel the X100s is faster in start up and being ready to use. I find the x100s is just quick to use and that is one of the things I love about it.

In terms of AF? The X-E2 EASILY beats the x100s. EASILY. I tested both of them tonight and in good light, the X100S was comparable. Low light? The x100s would hunt. The X-E2 was pretty much instant lock-on in comparison and I'm talking crappy dim living room light with not enough light bulbs. I'm not joking. I have been meaning to increase the quality of light in this room for years, but the X-E2 would lock on as if it didn't even notice. The X100s would just hunt and hunt and hunt.

I take both of them in to a better lit room and the X-E2 was still faster, but it was far less drastic a difference.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

It's visible, but not huge. When PDAF works (the camera will switch to CDAF if it can't get a PDAF lock essentially right away, which is good, since it doesn't waste time and ensures accuracy), it's as fast as any current mirrorless cam out there. Near instant. When it doesn't, or if you're outside the PDAF points, it's relatively quick, but a step behind the fastest m4/3 bodies. Still faster than the X-E1 though. The big improvement is that it doesn't overshoot nearly as much.

I have not timed it, and don't really know how I would, but I'd say PDAF locks in less than 0.1 seconds. CDAF locks in about 0.2-0.4 seconds, unless you're massively changing the focus distance, where it becomes quite dependent on the focus motor's speed.

I haven't tested tracking AF yet. Probably won't be able to until Saturday.
jonrock wrote:
Jordan, how big is the drop off in AF speed in the areas that aren't covered by PDAF? Also, how good is the tracking AF now in the X-E2?

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Elusivesouls

p.2 #18 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Yeah, I agree with Jman. I have even noticed it's better at getting accurate focus without confirmation. Typically, with the X-E1 and X100s if I pressed the shutter button and took the picture without getting focus confirmation, it was going to be out of focus. The X-E2 I can point, hit the button, and take the picture before hearing or seeing a focus confirmation and the picture is likely to still be in focus.

Nov 15, 2013 at 08:50 AM
you2
• • •
p.2 #19 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Ok thanks.

Jman13 wrote:
Yeah, we had one night of snow. About 3/4" or so. It's all melted already, but it was cold this morning...just clear. (about 27F this morning, so cold, but not frigid).

EVF is fine. Remember you can adjust EVF brightness. I haven't had issues with it washing out unless the image preview is showing major overexposure, but that gives you an idea of your final exposure. Right now I have the EVF brightness maxed out, but it doesn't clip unless I'm overexposing. The DR in the EVF isn't quite as good as the one in the E-M1, but it's still
...Show more

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.2 #20 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

does it have exposure preview in the evf? thats one thing i hate about my xe1, how the evf will gain up to see an image but it wont be true to what the exposure will actually look like.

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password