New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Well, my new X-E2 is here. It looks largely like my X-E1, but with a different number:
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xe2.jpg

The rear screen is MUCH bigger. It doesn't sound much bigger (it's 3" vs 2.8"), but in practice it's quite large. Beautifully clear too. EVF refresh is notably improved. No perceptible lag in general shooting in low light. (Although an interesting side note: if you're in dim light, the EVF will show lag similar to the X-E1 for the first second or so after you turn the camera on. Seems like the processor is probably doing some background cleanup tasks that it has to manage. After a second, the EVF switches to a much higher refresh and the lag is gone. It's really smooth at this point, on par with the refresh from my m4/3 cams. While smaller than the EVF in the something like the E-M1, it is incredibly clear with a nice crisp view and deep blacks. The refresh improvement moves it up with the best EVFs I've used, aside from the new Oly one (and that simply due to size). Focus peaking is much more visible on the X-E2 vs the X-E1 as well. The digital split image works fine, but isn't going to be as fast I think as focus peaking.

AF is both a minor improvement and a major improvement. The PDAF pixels in the camera are standard type only, not cross type, so they are sensitive to vertical contrast only. In an area where there is horizontal contrast only or such, AF is improved over the X-E1, but it's not ultra-fast like many of the other mirrorless cameras are. It is definitely well into the 'acceptable' range, though.

When there is vertical contrast (or horizontal contrast when shooting in portrait orientation), the autofocus is near instantaneous (using the firmware just released enabling PDAF). It's honestly surprising how incredibly fast it works when the PDAF pixels can pick up that vertical line.

The EC dial is stiffer than before. I never had a problem with accidentally bumping it on the X-E1 or my X-M1, but the increased resistance doesn't bother either. Image quality looks to be unchanged from the X-E1 at first glance, but I've barely shot with it, so I can't say that definitively. The better AF, better EVF refresh and faster operation without delay, plus WiFi (which I've been using a ton on my X-M1) make this a pretty worthy upgrade, at least at first blush.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
...EVF refresh is notably improved. No perceptible lag in general shooting in low light. .....

Good to hear Jordan, as this is one of my annoyances with the X-E1, as well as the peaking, which I find pretty much useless with the X-E1 (much inferior to the NEX 5N I used to own).

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Does the iShoot grip for the X-E1 work on the X-E2?

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

corposant wrote:
Does the iShoot grip for the X-E1 work on the X-E2?

I'll let you know for sure when I get home, but I can't possibly imagine it wouldn't. The camera bodies are identical physically with the exception of the rear screen and some buttons, plus some minor changes to the top control dials. I suppose it is possible the rear screen could pose an issue, though it's thinner than the one on the X-E1 as well, so even then I don't think it'll be a problem. Like I said, I'll confirm when I get home...didn't bring the grip today.

I've never been an Auto ISO guy, but I could see myself using it a fair bit on the X-E2. You can quickly set the minimum shutter speed and min and max ISO values directly from the ISO selection dialog that comes up when you press the Fn button, so it's very easy to adjust those parameters. One thing to note is that while the CDAF system is invoked more often than the PDAF, meaning that everyday shooting is only going to get that super fast AF benefit some of the time, the CDAF does appear to be a bit faster than the X-E1, and there's far less hunting, especially with the 60 macro, which operates pretty quickly on the X-E2.

Some quick shots from my lunch. First two with the 23/1.4 wide open, last with the 60/2.4.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/statue_23.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/golden_pine.jpg

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/red_leaf.jpg

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

very nice last shot.

looking forward to reading more as i'd like an xe2 as well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:52 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Hi Jordan. How is the low light focusing with a slower lens, like one of the zooms? While I can get decent low light AF (slow but it locks) with the 35mm, both the zooms are next to useless in moderately low light. I'm more interested in accuracy, rather than speed, although spped would be nice.

Gordon

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I haven't shot in low light much with it, and what I have done has been with the primes. I have the 16-50 and the 55-200, so I won't be able to test the 18-55. I'll try and test it out this evening. All my lenses are updated except the 16-50, so I'll need to do that tonight before trying it out. I will say the 60mm feels like a different lens.

My basic feel is that AF is improved across the board. It's not always blazing speed (but when it is, it really goes), but the X-E2 doesn't feel like I'm waiting for it, and I felt that way a bit on the X-E1. Not as much since the big AF firmware update, but still a little. I don't have to wait on the X-E2. Focus is plenty fast enough for most anything, though I haven't shot any crazily moving children yet. That'll be the big test. Still, it's a noticeable improvement.

One annoyance: I can't program the Fn2 button to be flash exposure compensation. Why won't (many!) companies let you do this? It's a very important parameter, and yet so many camera companies bury it in a menu. At least my flash has direct FEC control on it, so I generally just do it on the flash.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:18 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Sounds a lot like the X100s then. In good conditions, it's pretty much instantaneous at AF. In lower light, it's not as obvious of a win, but it's still pretty competent.

My X-E2 is arriving Thursday, can't wait!

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Hi Jordan,

Is that a DIY wrist strap with waxed thread (cord) whipping and an O-ring bumper?

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:01 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Looks like a Gordy's strap

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:07 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Did you want to go with the silver or was it just in stock ? I've got the 23mm 1.4 already but no camera to go with it yet, and while I've ordered black (and think it matches the more modern lens design better) its been oh so hard to resist just picking up an in stock silver body (which is far from a bad looking camera)

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I preordered silver. Mainly to keep the matching set with my silver X-M1, though I was regretting it a little and sort of wish I'd ordered black just so it looked different from my E1. Still, the silver looks great, and I'm good keeping the silver look.

One note about AF indoors with the kids tonight. Quite quick and a big improvement over the E1. Interestingly, the 23 would sometime fail to lock, while the 35 was super quick and the 55-200 did awesome too. The 23 hit most of the time, but sometime would just miss.

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:57 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Thank's Jordan. That helps, a lot. And I agree about having FEC as a function on the F2 button.

Gordon

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:16 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jordan, have you tried the face detect AF ?

Its a feature I initially shunned as needless in cameras, but in recent years have really started to enjoy it, and rather missed it on the X-E1. Cameras like the RX1 and E-M1 spoiled me so with being able to just compose a frame and know that my subject would be in focus and well exposed a high percentage of the time. Its also especially handy when you hand the camera off to a random person/family member who doesn't have much photographic knowledge.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM
BokehBeauty
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Some quick shots from my lunch. First two with the 23/1.4 wide open, last with the 60/2.4.

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/statue_23.jpg

This image has a very nice 3D look to me. Do you consider the 23/1.4 to give a 3D look more easily? It would be great.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
ceder
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I have seen complaints about the X-E2 at high ISO, that there is a new firmware in the X-E2 that uses some new algorithm to smoothen skin tones, rendering skin very very plastic looking. On top of that, there is a problem with magenta casts at shadow transitions, giving zombie-looking faces etc. What are your feelings Jordan?

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

It's two different things.

Fuji does seen to be targeting skin tones in high ISO JPEGs. At ISO 6400, skin smoothing is apparent (though it hasn't looked bad to me). The X100s does the same.

The magenta shadows I saw on a few images from last night. However, this appears to be solely a thing with the RC of Lightroom and not with the files. I'd imagine Adobe will iron it out. The magenta doesn't appear in JPEG or in the same file in other raw converters (I tried Photo Ninja).

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

Further examination of the Magenta shadows issue shows it to be a color profile issue in Lightroom. I'm sure Adobe will figure this out.

100% crop with Adobe Standard profile...note the oddly magenta shadow under the nose and around the eye. This is under compact fluorescent light. There is magenta in the shot here, but it's majorly highlighted in the standard profile:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xe2_adobe.jpg

Here's the same shot with a custom LR profile for the X-E2 (made with my color checker passport):
http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/xe2_custom.jpg

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:01 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

millsart wrote:
Jordan, have you tried the face detect AF ?

Its a feature I initially shunned as needless in cameras, but in recent years have really started to enjoy it, and rather missed it on the X-E1. Cameras like the RX1 and E-M1 spoiled me so with being able to just compose a frame and know that my subject would be in focus and well exposed a high percentage of the time. Its also especially handy when you hand the camera off to a random person/family member who doesn't have much photographic knowledge.

Curious about this as well.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji X-E2 Rolling Impressions

I tried face detection a little last night, but not much. I've used it on the X-M1 and it works fairly well. it should work better on the X-E2 due to the faster AF. I don't use it often because I really want to control where on the face the focus hits, but that's me.

Here's a shot from this morning. X-E2 with 23/1.4:

http://www.jordansteele.com/2013/sunrise_clouds.jpg

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.