Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · SPEAK!

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · SPEAK!

I think we are supposed to post our own images in another treat, so that we donīt mix up things here...
Am I right?

heiko

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:10 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · SPEAK!

heikoM wrote:
I think we are supposed to post our own images in another treat, so that we donīt mix up things here...
Am I right?

I think Chuck laid the ground rule that you not post your images in the same post where you respond to someone else.

- trr

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:11 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · SPEAK!

TRReichman wrote:
I think Chuck laid the ground rule that you not post your images in the same post where you respond to someone else.

- trr

donīt we say the same? (o:

heiko

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:24 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · SPEAK!

Post the images right here heiko. No need to start a new thread.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:29 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · SPEAK!

Ok, dummy me, sorry for misunderstanding...

.. so here is my part:

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:46 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · SPEAK!

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:46 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · SPEAK!

@ Danny

You have some wonderful images here, some that are real moments or at least directed in such a way that they look like real moments and these are strong images #1 & #3. My favorite of these is #3, love the moment but I think it is just a tad bit dark.

Then you have other photos that are posed. Your posed/portrait photos are not your strong suit, #2 & 4. They are not bad but not strong. #2 has technical issues with the lighting blowing out the details on the brides dress and #4 is meh on the composition and lack of interaction between the B&G.

You have the ability to recognize great light and take advantage of it, #6. But you missed on the composition. If you had either moved to your left one step or so or if you had moved your couple to their right a step or so you would have had better subject placement so that the lamp posts helped to frame them instead of coming out of the guy's shoulder. But the light is exquisite!

You are not afraid to think outside the box and make interesting compositions, #3. Love the perspective but I think your post work is hurting this image. It looks over cooked.

All and all a mixed bag of images that does not speak clearly who you are.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:49 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · SPEAK!

dhp_sf wrote:
Jaclyn,

I get the sense that you can get some nice clean photographs. A couple of them show that you have a sense of humor, or have a light-hearted attitude about the shots. Though I don't know that any of these images feel like a "show-case" type of photo that speaks towards branding or a separation from the pack.

The majority of the photographs are happening in the same kind of environment with very cooperative light, so a trained eye might not feel confident that you can handle tougher scenarios with the same kind of cleanliness. Hope that helps!

heikoM wrote:
@ mirrorrim

I donīt know if brides see this but my first impression is, you lack technical skills. Sorry, just try to be honest here (0:

1 is grossly overexposed, 5 the withe balance is off. That ruins a lot for me. As a client I would not know if you have the ability to execute. 3 is a nice idea, but two guys are looking into the camera, two are not, it is a mixed up between posed and candid...
Number 2 capture a nice intimate moment, like it. Shows you have a good connection to the couple.

heiko

Thanks for the feedback guys! This is why it was so hard to choose 6 pictures, and why I ultimately went with photos that I think best convey my "branding words," which really dont line up with overcoming difficult lighting situations. That's what I hope a full wedding gallery or two works best for.

Heiko: Yes, the photos do look out of place when you look at them from exposure and white balance viewpoints, but if you saw them with the entire wedding, they fit in (and I fully admit I push the limits when it comes to exposure; while never completely blown out, they are close sometimes).

As for comments:

Duy: Dramatic is the first word that comes to mind. Probably just a coincidence, but lots of gold! Really love 4 and 5. I get the vibe that if I hired you, I wouldnt have to worry at all about getting some beautiful portraits that show off the scenery.

HeikoM: Very casual and laid back with a bit of a hard edge. Technically very pretty, but I'd want to see some portraits with the bride and groom interacting together other than on the dance floor ( in #2 the guy is just standing there). I get the vibe that romantic, soft, intimate portraits are not something I'd get from you.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:11 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · SPEAK!

I think a reminder of the "rules" might be good, so I am just adding this:

4) Do not critique the images, rather, give any impressions/vibes/feelings about the work and person shooting the images (if possible).

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · SPEAK!

sherijohnson wrote:
I think a reminder of the "rules" might be good, so I am just adding this:

4) Do not critique the images, rather, give any impressions/vibes/feelings about the work and person shooting the images (if possible).

Thanks for the reminder, I got carried away.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · SPEAK!

@dhp_sf

I believe you are a romantic. I believe you love classic in a kind of Great Gatsby way. The images you have chosen feel rich in color and mood, all lit with a golden sun. I think high end. I think the images would appeal to couples who will give you plenty of time to capture them at their best. The emphasis is definitely on the posed moment.

Image #1
Very Great Gatsby. Wonderful use of place.

Image #2
Love the image - but it doesn't seem to work with the others in terms of what it makes me feel.

Image #3
Pretty sun-kissed light (that is your choice in processing but it works well with the other images)

Image #4
Also works - less warm in tone though

Image #5
Romantic

Image #6
Sun kissed light - less romantic since the pose is very hipster.... would love if it was more of a romantic pose.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:43 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · SPEAK!

Duy:

love the golden tones and rim lighting.

impressions:

warmth, glow, intriguing, shadowy, mysterious (especially the peeking through the door photo--it stopped me for a moment when I was browsing your portfolio the other day).

focus on context and locations.

intimate moments w/ a sense of privacy and inward focus (I use the word 'privacy' b/c the lighting is subdued and the clients seem to be in private locations).

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:45 PM
mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · SPEAK!

Going to be changing up my portfolio this year and am thinking of including these 5... can't upload a 6th...

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 07:04 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:57 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · SPEAK!

@ Duy

A very clear and definitive message being conveyed by your images! They speak volumes. Technically sound both in composition and use of natural and artificial light. Harmony of color at least in these six images. For the most part you like to give your subjects room to move or breath within the boarders of the image frame.

You are a director more than just a poser. You like to let your couples interact after you have placed them in a location or setting therefore they look natural and real. Intimate moments, expressions of real love between your clients.

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 09:41 AM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:00 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · SPEAK!

Interesting thread and at a good time. I'm in the process of refocusing my brand.

@Joel - Your work looks to me like the sort of thing that a certain type of modern couple would hang on their wall. Big, epic shots with a set piece feel to them. I see creativity and an extremely contemporary vibe. For me, the first four images and the last two speak in slightly different directions. It's obviously not possible for every image to be 100% on message - that'd be incredibly boring - but for me the first four paint a picture of a photographer aiming to produce interesting environmental portraits where the subject sits comfortably within the scene without necessarily being the obvious centre of attention. I can totally see how the right couples would appreciate the unique quality of one of these images hanging on their wall without feeling like they'd gone ego-mad by having a massive picture of *just* them on the wall - if that makes sense.

For me, the later two images feel somewhat different - they speak to an attempt to bring more obvious emotion and soul into the work, but I feel like they aren't such 'best of breed' contenders as the earlier four. Essentially they don't have as much pizazz and therefore I feel like they somewhat clutter your brand identity.

Still... that's based on a mere six images. While there's strengths in distilling things down to their essence, it's often hard to appreciate the subtleties and nuances as well. I also feel like the processing goes in a different direction in the later two images and as such further clutters the brand a touch.

Overall however, I'd say your brand is largely solid and fairly clear in it's message. It's not work I'd go for, but it's well executed and warrants respect.

@Danny - For me, I'd sum it up by saying you're projecting chic romance. The blend of the more static and dynamic images works well because it's united by the overriding sense of romance. It's not ott, but it is comfortable. If I tried to build a mental image of the photographer, based on these key images, I'd imagine a young and fairly good looking guy who has a keen sense of style without stepping into the 'trying to hard' category. I think that's reflected in the work - there's no sense of trying to hard, it all feels very comfortable and at ease with itself.

@mirrorim - I think the main feeling here is a photographer who has potential, but it still finding their feet and refining their brand. There's some nice work but no uniform thread running through the centre of the work. There's too much variety, in terms of processing, thought process and from a technical point of view there's nothing that sets it apart. Don't be discouraged by this - it's a process of development and in time I think you'll end up with something stronger for thinking about it.

@Duy - For me, these images are largely reflective of an extremely well honed intent on the part of the photographer. They almost border on being too uniform. The colour temp is largely similar and the vibe I get is that while the work itself is beautiful in it's own right there's maybe not enough variety and uniqueness from one shoot to the next. That's harsh criticism - nitpicking even - because in all the message is really strong, I'd just consider easing off the reins a touch and challenge yourself to think different from time to time. Brand refinement is awesome, but if it goes too far it risks getting stale.

Other thoughts. There's a magazine feel to the work. I mean that in a good way. It might well grace the pages of a classy publication read by those with cooly modern homes! The approach to content goes off message in image 2. For me, this one has an entirely different genesis to the others. Yes, 3 is a dancing shot (it appears) but it's taken as if it was a staged portrait. Nothing wrong with that, but number 3 simply doesn't fit in that mould. If you're doing a bit of both, I think I'd be inclined to show at least 2 ad-hoc moments so that it feels like a part of your work rather than an aberration.

This one sounds so critical. Sorry about that - the vibe is really positive, and your work inspires confidence, but approaching the mood of it thoughtfully leads me to linger on the 'sameness. Hope this comes across as somewhat useful and not simply negative.

@Heiko - I have to say that I find your selection the most confusing thus far I'm afraid. Individually there's some lovely work, but there's no overriding train of thought that I can glean and the approach to content feels very mixed. The fifth image doesn't (IMHO) have any place. I know where you were trying to go with it, but it jars against the other work and it jars technically - it doesn't inspire confidence. The first two are arresting, but again, SOOO different. While the work is nice, I struggle to discern any inherent message.

@mineymole - There's something about this work that basically just screams "Stylish Facial Hair/Pocket Combs/Rock'n'Roll/Wild West/Some Tats". It's hard to put a finger on, but I'm imagining Groom's who own moustace wax and styling mouse and Bride's who love those guys! There's definitely a thread. I feel the PP gives a slightly mixed message, or perhaps, better put, a lack of a strong and obvious message. I feel like I'm probably quite removed from the target market so I struggle to engage satisfactorily with the vibe, but my peripheral senses do suggest quite a well considered message and intended target demographic.

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:07 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · SPEAK!

mineymole: your images look quite classic. and your first two show an open-mindedness while fitting the brand. the images are heavily weighted on emotions and moments so you seem to favor these genuine story-telling photographs above posed/directive portraits. There's feeling in every single shot.

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:15 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · SPEAK!

heiko - very editorial and focused entirely on the bride. Isn't clear from these images that it is even wedding photography. In the first photo where she is sitting in a circle she is edited to stick out from the group significantly so we can't really see a relationship or connection. Deadpan expressions which make it feel more like an advertisement than a traditional wedding spread (nothing wrong with that, just a different purpose being communicated). Same with the silhouette shot of the family and the last shot of the embrace. Very fashion oriented, saturated colors, and bride-centric. If I were a client I would assume that you were very new to the business since it looks like the same client over and over.

- trr

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:38 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · SPEAK!

mineymole - This set makes a strong positioning statement - this is a company for gay weddings and joyous people. There is a shared, positive, celebratory connection in every image. There is a blend of style (traditional, black tie, sort of hipster) so that the work is not tied to any particular style. All but the last image are very close giving a very intimate feeling and impression.

- trr

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · SPEAK!

my turn

http://i41./18c27p.jpg

http://i39./2mo86jd.jpg

http://i39./1zf05ue.jpg

http://i44./262r6ag.jpg

http://i43./29nujcj.jpg

http://i40./jq6ntu.jpg

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:54 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · SPEAK!

RE: mineymole,

you really like to show people smiling

I get the vibe that you want to show a rush of emotion in your photos, along w/ hipster undertones

you're showing off a sort of vintage/timeless feel (w/ the VSCO actions) and choice of couples.

looks like people have lots of fun at weddings you attend.

less of a romantic vibe, more party and fun. more emphasis on subject matter and form rather than using colors to create feeling.

trying to show something classic w/ the muted tones.

you prefer tighter shots for intimacy's sake.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.