Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

SPEAK!

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SPEAK!

Duy posted an interesting thought here posing the question "Do I have a voice?": http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1253599

I think Duy poses a really good question. It's one I often think about and have been doing so for some time now (even with my personal work). I think I would suggest that we refine the question of "do I have a voice?" because let's face it, we all have a voice, but are we saying what we mean to?

I think a better question would be "what am I saying with my photographs?"

I posed this thread with this idea in mind and many found the ensuing discussion very helpful:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1049887

Its been two years since that discussion so it might be time to revisit. For the sake of time, I am going to copy and paste from the thread above:

I'm in the beginning stages of pulling together my portfolio and one of the first questions I am asking myself is "who am I as a photographer?". Or I guess a better question would be, "what images do I want potential clients to see?". Its been said around here to 'show what we want to shoot'.

The old adage says, "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" (or was that a head and shoulders commercial?). If this holds true, we are assuming that prospective clients will judge us right off the bat by the first few images they see (whether we like it or not).

I thought it would be neat (and maybe helpful) if we posted SIX images in the order you would like them to appear in your portfolio and have members tell you any judgements they made about you and/or your photography as if they were prospective clients. Granted, there are some flaws to this exercise as we all kinda know each other.

Here are the rules:

1) You must give your thoughts about someone's images BEFORE you post your own work. Also, once someone gives you feedback, return the favor to that same person once they post their images. This is a GIVE and GET thread.

2) After you post your judgements on someone else's SIX images, you may post YOUR own SIX images. Please do not post your images in your response to another's images.

3) Honesty is paramount. We are all big boys and girls here, no? If we are truly attempting to get better at this game, we need truth. But please be tactful. This is meant to be constructive.

4) Do not critique the images, rather, give any impressions/vibes/feelings about the work and person shooting the images (if possible).

I think this could be a good opportunity to get feedback about the images you are showing which will hopefully help answer the question "Who Are You?" (photographically speaking).

***THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN POST IMAGES FIRST WITHOUT GIVING FEEDBACK IS THE FIRST PERSON WHO POSTS PHOTOS***

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:16 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SPEAK!

Sure...I'll be the first guinea pig.

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 03:41 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:24 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SPEAK!

joelconner- Portrait photographer. Your work is all about location - that may impact who is interested in hiring you. Work is colorful. Seems like you work with average, middle-class white people (not a racist statement, or a commentary, just looking at what is shown and looking at who you represent that you want to work with). This is photographer-driven work, meaning I wold hire you to do the thing that you want to do and not worry too much about bringing myself to the table. Due to the scale of the images they don't feel intimate, which is a positive or a negative depending on what you are looking for.

- trr

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:32 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SPEAK!

Joel,

The photos are very posed, so I dont get a full sense of the subjects of the portraits, but get a really good sense of you as a photographer (probably some good and bad about that). My first vibes are that you really like to focus on the portrait and can make a really good one under all different conditions. I'd think that if I were into posed portraits with my lovey that you'd be a really good option.

Second vibes are that there isnt a whole lot of variety of posing here. It seems like the 'same photo' under different conditions. This portrait heavy approach leaves me thinking 'where is everyone else' on the wedding day?

Good stuff Joel! Way to get the ball rolling!

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:39 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SPEAK!

good points...thanks for the feedback! I specifically grabbed images from this year that I would be prone to posting on Fb...because they are the type that I am most drawn to. I have been intentionally mixing up more of what I have been posting lately, because it has felt a bit pigeonholed. Showing "connection" between the couple in a natural way is something I know I am lacking in...still trying to figure out how to get better about pulling that out of people.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:46 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SPEAK!

It's all about the environment with Joel, his style is kind of casual fine-art. It think he is very detailed in execution. The fact that every photo here is dissimilarity sized says that he isn't detailed to a fault, and probably brings a fun experience as part of what he delivers to his clients.

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 04:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:49 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SPEAK!

Joel,

Technically, your a great photographer. I think it was Pressfield that said, "master how and leave what and why up to the god's." I think the avenue that you could improve the most on is posing (my biggest goat as well). They all don't feel like they would be how the couples are in the given environments. Like, I don't get a lot of vibes out of the couples, no laughter, not much really emotion.

Edit: Re-Read the rules and adjusted my response.

I really don't try to over think photography. I tend to look at images and say, cool, nor not cool. These are all really good images and the awesome part is, they're all really good, and you can still improve. That's a good sign.

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SPEAK!

joelconner wrote:
Showing "connection" between the couple in a natural way is something I know I am lacking in...still trying to figure out how to get better about pulling that out of people.

I think that is literally the hardest thing in photography

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:00 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SPEAK!

Okay, 3rd revision. Should be final this time. For someone who does something with computers and technology for a living, I sort of suck at things like this.

Edited on Nov 13, 2013 at 04:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:32 PM
MRomine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SPEAK!

@ Joel,

Looks like you have been up my way at one time or another. Isn't that Redbird stadium, 3rd one down?

Nice images that I'm sure your clients love. As others have said these are all mainly posed photos which is not a bad thing, that is you and what you love doing and that will draw clients that want that. Some of your OCF I'm not a fan of but I know that styple is popplar now.

Nov 13, 2013 at 04:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SPEAK!

DannyBostwick - Overall these 6 images are very dark/moody. They are also somewhat abstract - particularly 1 and 4 in that it takes a second to figure out what you are looking at. I would say this is "challenging" for a typical client. I would also classify you as a portrait photographer - there are no images of weddings happening (the same observation is relevant to Joel). This would lead me to believe that the ceremonial/traditional elements aren't as important to you and clients who feel the same way are who you are targeting. There isn't much sense of identity from the subjects, I can't often see faces or expressions clearly (#3 being the exception) so there is more of a moody/poetic nature to the work that is less about the subject's identity and more about evoking a general feeling.

- trr

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:16 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SPEAK!

Danny...I think some of these highlight that you really value the direct interaction between a couple (mainly 3,4,6) whereas 2 and 5 (while cool photos), don't have that level of natural connection. I think 1 is a great moment and one that shows you can capture good moments creatively. As Todd mentioned...you cannot really see faces very clearly, so there is a certain level of disconnect there.

Upon more thought, I should have approached which images I posted more intentionally...this definitely has me thinking.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SPEAK!

Such a strong thread. Thanks for the feedback guys. Just like you said, Joel. This definitely has me thinking.

Todd, thanks for point that out. Abstract, dark and moody is not at all how I view myself as a photographer. I definitely see how that is very much how I would appear to someone. Thanks dude!

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:38 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SPEAK!

If I was a bride looking for a photographer and came across these portfolio images I would think...

joelconner: Atmospheric! You incorporate the location really well, and it adds a ton of mood and emotion to the couple that is posing in it. I love the tenderness and simplicity in the poses. I get the vibe that you know how to set up a photo and have a vision in mind for the story you want to tell.

DannyBostwick: Dark and saturated. I want more connection to show--#4 is the only one that stands out to me in this regard. I love the way you show off the location in the last 2 photos. I get the vibe that you are a very casual when it comes to portraits and you let couples just be themselves.

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:13 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SPEAK!

This was so hard to choose. While I know I still need to improve technically, I have 3 words in mind that I try to convey in each wedding. I hope you see them in these photos!

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:17 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SPEAK!

@ Danny

I feel your images separate you very positively from the bright and light José Villa fraction.

I feel myself strongly drawn to 1, 3,4 and 6.

1 and 6 show you are able to see light and moments. That would draw people who are interested in more unposed stuff, I assume.
3 and 4 are lovely b&w shots. Like the the transportation of "feeling alive" in 3 and 4 is simply artsy: light, form and an intimate moment.
2 and 5 are more traditionally, but feel kind of boring in comparison to me. But they may be important to people who are interested in classic shots, too.

For me, as a potential client, these two categories donīt fit well together, so I get a undefined message about who you are and what are your preferences as a photographer...

heiko

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:18 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SPEAK!

@ Joel,

as some said before, good set up images, you know your light. 1, 3 and 6 speak to me the most, feel more artsy and natural. 1 and 2 are a bit flat to me.
You would be my photographer if I seek solid posed images with some light effects. You would not be my first choice for a wedding, because I do not know if you can candid stuff.

heiko

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:48 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SPEAK!

Jaclyn,

I get the sense that you can get some nice clean photographs. A couple of them show that you have a sense of humor, or have a light-hearted attitude about the shots. Though I don't know that any of these images feel like a "show-case" type of photo that speaks towards branding or a separation from the pack.

The majority of the photographs are happening in the same kind of environment with very cooperative light, so a trained eye might not feel confident that you can handle tougher scenarios with the same kind of cleanliness. Hope that helps!

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:55 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SPEAK!

This is my current lineup for my opening 6 photographs on my portfolio (though I will be changing this up either this month or next after I finish my last couple of weddings for the year:

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:57 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SPEAK!

@ mirrorrim

I donīt know if brides see this but my first impression is, you lack technical skills. Sorry, just try to be honest here (0:

1 is grossly overexposed, 5 the withe balance is off. That ruins a lot for me. As a client I would not know if you have the ability to execute. 3 is a nice idea, but two guys are looking into the camera, two are not, it is a mixed up between posed and candid...
Number 2 capture a nice intimate moment, like it. Shows you have a good connection to the couple.

heiko

Nov 13, 2013 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password