Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

Jochenb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

BTW, for me it's the other way around nowadays. I prefer m4/3 over Fuji X even though I still think the feel of the Fujis is better.
The whole talk about X-trans isn't overblown IMHO. It killed it for me personally. I use Lightroom and I just don't get consistent results from X-trans. In soft light everything is fine most of the time, but when the light gets a littlebit brighter/harsher things start to get really funky. You don't even have to pixelpeep to see it. Shiny/smooth surfaces turn to mush. It's not just leaves and such. When I convert the RAW files with Iridient Developer the results are much better, but I want to keep using Lightroom.
After my last trip with Fuji X I got so frustrated that I sold the whole kit again. Fuji lovers are sensitive about it, but It's a personal thing (I don't want to start another war ). Many people aren't bothered by the problems and you can certainly get fantastic results from the cameras.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:08 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

As I said, there are times Adobe makes a mess of things, but in those instances, C1 does well with the images, so I'm OK. It's an extra step, but it's not something I need to do all the time.

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:31 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

Thanks again Jochen, every and all opinions are nice to hear!
I use mostly Lightroom but also like Aperture a lot (will use it a little more the days to come since I just upgraded from 4 to 16gb ram in my mac mini). As far as I've heard Aperture gives good/very good results with the X-trans.
As does Capture one but I never really liked that software, I am not sure why

I'll probably hold of a couple of months, till after the holidays I think in order to cool my head a little and decide wether I want an X-E2 right now or wait and see what the future brings. Mostly I am very happy with the Em-5 and would like to add the 12-40mm and 75mm to the system as well as a Fuji body (possibly a Sony A7 to use with legacy Nikon lenses) as well. We'll see what the future holds in store. The Fuji cameras are very very appealing even though the sensor size is smaller and the cost of an X-Pro 2 would be almost the same as an A7.

Thanks again everybody for all the good replies.

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:53 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

Wilbus wrote:
As does Capture one but I never really liked that software, I am not sure why

Is it because of the strange import procedure and the little files left all over? I wish it had just a library function similar to Lightroom or Aperture, then I might well switch to it, but it has very much this old medium format workflow from the year 1263AD.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

It has a library function. It works OK, but it's not nearly as powerful as Lightroom's. I've grown to like C1 a fair bit, but I don't like it enough to use it as my only converter. When I have files that need to use C1, I import into Lightroom, then I'll import into C1 (at their present location), and just work on the files I need to, saving any edits in the same folder. That way when I sync my LR library, the files edited with C1 will be there. It's not a perfect workflow, but it really doesn't add much time, mainly because I don't need to do it all that often.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fujifilm X-pro 1 vs m43 (well actually, include the X-e1 and X-e2 as well)

A big part of it yes Carsten, I feel the entire program is from the stone age as far as user interface goes. It might have been fin prior to Lightroom but once that was released it really showed me what a good user interface is like. Apertures user interface is great as well albeit different. But C1's... never liked it, tried it several times and just can't get the feel for it. Guess it's the same thing as with cameras, some feels great some don't.

I probably haven't given it enough time though so it's just my quick opinion, don't really feel the need to give it more time as it is now though as I am perfectly happy with Lightroom and Aperture the few occasions I use that program.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.