Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Depth of Feel wrote:
every film shot I see on flickr clearly does not look like digital to me

+1

I occasionally ask clients if they'd like me to shoot some film. No one is enthusiastic about it. Half the time they say they'd prefer I shoot digital!

Nov 16, 2013 at 06:14 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

wuxiekeji wrote:
Shooting on film is great but if you have to give it to the Walmart to develop, IMO it's not worth it since you have no clue what artistic talent those people have at controlling the myriad variables in the darkroom.

Processing color neg film is very straight forward, not many variables.. The variables come into play when you print. Processing b and w or color reversal film is full of choices that affect the final result.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
abadass
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

There are a few pro labs here in Honolulu that I still need a check out. I bring my C-41 to the CVS (called Longs Drugs in Hawaii) and I only trust two. The photos come out great with no issues. I used to go to Costco a lot when I started getting back into film 2 years ago but lately they would always scratch my negatives. the last time I got photos developed from them, I had a consistent scratch from beginning to end.

Nov 16, 2013 at 05:58 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

So it came today! It's a great body. Feels good in the hands. I actually think it has nicer ergonomics than any other eos camera I've owned. The shutter is loud, but's not an awful thing. I've got film coming on Tuesday from Amazon. And the ECF works pretty darn well. I was very surprised at that and I would LOVE it as an option on my 5d3. Its quicker to function then the Joystick.

But then there's the diopter. On my other Eos bodies I have the diopter wheel all the way to the left. I don't wear glasses and have fairly good vision that I think has gotten a tiny touch soft in the last couple years but nothing that's been a problem. On this body the viewfinder is blurry. Apparently it's got a fixed -1 diopter. So I need to purchase something to correct it. Does anyone know which I would need to match the other bodies I own. As I mentioned earlier I keep the diopter all the way to the left on 6d, 5d3, 40d etc.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like I might be screwed. I need a -3 diopter apparently and there is no where to buy one....

Edit: Just bought one from amazon.co.uk. Crossing my fingers it actually shows up.

Nov 16, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

No experience with that scanner so I can't speak to it but if you get results you like then that's all that matters right now. Enjoy the process. To me the process is half the beauty of film and what makes it so endearing.

A lot of the reasons you mentioned were exactly why I got into film. Like I said it's a slippery slope. I'm happy to help any way possible to spread the film bug. Others did the same for me (thanks to FM's Evan Baines and several others). I'm just paying it forward.

Also, to get stuff to home develop color or B&W you can spend less than $100 and be set. Just throwing that out there.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Also totally forgot about the lack of diopter adjustment on the 3. The 1N and 1V have it and it's been a LONG time since I've have a 3. The diopter adjustment piece should get you fixed up. I always check www.keh.com for any gear or accessories (bonus that they include a 6 month warranty on everything, that's a big deal with older film bodies).

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:54 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Variables start to come into play if the lab doesn't keep up with their chemistry.

Micky Bill wrote:
Processing color neg film is very straight forward, not many variables.. The variables come into play when you print. Processing b and w or color reversal film is full of choices that affect the final result.

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:43 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Most clients don't want film. Occasionally I get those who request it but it's really rare. Even showing film and digital photos in my portfolio, people tend to gravitate toward the digital shots.

D. Diggler wrote:
+1

I occasionally ask clients if they'd like me to shoot some film. No one is enthusiastic about it. Half the time they say they'd prefer I shoot digital!

Nov 17, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

cineski wrote:
Variables start to come into play if the lab doesn't keep up with their chemistry.

I guess that's true (sort of like if the coffee shop doesnt put the half n half in the fridge it'll go bad) but I meant that here is a chance for creativity in processing BW with different developers, pushing and pulling etc. I worked for a guy who had all sorts of potions and tricks when processing E6, he could push, pull , adjust contrast and affect certain colors, had all kinds of formulas regarding 1st and 2nd deveolpers....last I heard he was either in Palm Springs or dead.

For the most part C41 is C41.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

C41 is indeed a VERY standardized process, which is why all the little quick photo labs like Walgreens, Costco, etc will only do C41 in house. It's quick, easy and the same for every film speed/stock with little to no deviation. But still, if their chemistry is bad, you're going to get shoddy results.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

i started developing my own b&w. it's not bad for 35mm, but medium format is a b**ch to get on the spools. it doesn't help that i'm doing it in the dark bag. if you try it tape off a room and skip the bag. it's incredibly frustrating. but overall it's not particularly hard and the supplies cost me under $100 to get all setup. if you're shooting a lot of b&w then i'd say do this to save money. also, if you're shooting a lot make sure you buy a developing tank that can hold like 4 rolls at once because it's a pain in the a$$ to have eight rolls to develop and have to go through the process four times instead of two.

i take my color stuff to a local printer who does c41 once a week. pro tip: pay for scans because scanning is easily the biggest time suck in this entire process. it's brutal. makes you wanna shoot large format so you only have two shots to process instead of 72.

it's fun though.

Nov 21, 2013 at 09:28 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

goosemang wrote:
i started developing my own b&w. it's not bad for 35mm, but medium format is a b**ch to get on the spools. it doesn't help that i'm doing it in the dark bag. if you try it tape off a room and skip the bag. it's incredibly frustrating.

I've been doing this for 30 years both at home and at school (I teach a photography class). Yes medium format is harder to load. I get my students to practice heaps in the light first, then with their eyes closed and finally in the bag with a dummy film. If they have real trouble they go into the darkroom and turn off the safelights. Here are some tips for doing it at home:
1. Much easier to do it OUT of the bag
2. Find a room or closet that you can easily darken
3. Turn off lights in other rooms
4. Tell wife not to come in!
5. Put blanket over window/door
6. Only ever do it at NIGHT.
7. Let your eyes get accustomed for a couple of minutes, don't assume it is completely dark straight away
8. Practice

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:51 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

cineski wrote:

showing film and digital photos in my portfolio, people tend to gravitate toward the digital shots

Why is that, do you suppose?

Nov 21, 2013 at 08:32 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

i'd guess because people are used to the look of digital files at this point. if you're looking for a wedding photographer you go online and look at a couple of dozen different galleries - most of which will be shot with digital - people get it into their minds that's how the work is "supposed" to look.

let's face it, film is different. yeah, you can make digital files look like film files. kind of. but it's not 100% the same. not that one or the other is better, just different. if the standard is now digital, with a digital look, people will assume that's what they want and gravitate towards it. (unless they're specifically into film or something. hipsters? )

just my thoughts here. maybe others have differing opinions?

Nov 22, 2013 at 02:41 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I've been asking myself that question. This is total speculation and meant at the market as a whole: I think people have certainly succumbed to the notion that ease of use is more important than quality and why smart phones now take more photos by a wide margin than any other type of camera and more people watch video on youtube than a movie theater. While there have been some good leaps in camera quality in smart phones as of late, it certainly is no match for modern DSLR's. It could be something as simple as film might be mistaken (in the eyes of a consumer) for an iPhone shot with an instagram filter on it. It doesn't differ enough to give the illusion of perceived value. Of course we know it's completely different, but we're talking about consumers here. With people I meet with, they say time and time again how they like the crispness of my digital shots so while I'm only speculating here as to what's going on in their minds, it does make some sense. They tend to dislike the softer look of film probably because it reminds them too much of their iPhone's shots even though there's a vast difference.

But I've said this before: What you shoot is more important than how you shoot. But there will always be brides who want film because they want that specific look but I personally find that they're a very narrow margin. I think there's more photographers making the choice for clients because they're trying to stand out in the market place but in the past year, I had 1 bride specifically want film. The others by a wide margin did not see the value in paying more for film photography so I started listening to this and downsized to 3 1V's. I'll always offer film as long as I can and I love the look of it, but I've come to the conclusion that shooting film will be reserved for clients willing to pay for the added expense because a $1200-1500 bill for stock, processing and scans is not something I just want to pay for for the sake of my craft. That's unsustainable and a big mistake I see some photographers making.

But of course, next year may be completely different and I could get more film requests.

D. Diggler wrote:
Why is that, do you suppose?

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

cineski wrote:
I've been asking myself that question. This is total speculation and meant at the market as a whole: I think people have certainly succumbed to the notion that ease of use is more important than quality and why smart phones now take more photos by a wide margin than any other type of camera and more people watch video on youtube than a movie theater. While there have been some good leaps in camera quality in smart phones as of late, it certainly is no match for modern DSLR's. It could be something as simple as film might be mistaken
...Show more

What film do you shoot for weddings on your 1v's?

Nov 22, 2013 at 03:52 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Portra 400 exclusively. I should note, most of the film work I show was photographed with the Contax 645 with a few 135 shots mixed in.

Nov 22, 2013 at 04:20 PM
clay23
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I havent read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested something like a bronica SQ? similar to a hasselblad but tons cheaper. I recently picked one up to start shooting some 6x6 for skateboarding and other personal things..

Dec 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
abadass
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

clay23 wrote:
I havent read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested something like a bronica SQ? similar to a hasselblad but tons cheaper. I recently picked one up to start shooting some 6x6 for skateboarding and other personal things..

How is the Bronica SQ doing? I'm kind of in the same boat.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:51 PM
clay23
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

abadass wrote:
How is the Bronica SQ doing? I'm kind of in the same boat.

I love it. So far so good. Unless you have the cash to go with a hasselblad, i would go with the SQ.You just have to be careful with the film backs, i believe that they are prone to breaking, and can be somewhat costly to replace.

Dec 27, 2013 at 02:56 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.