Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

CMB Photo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Love my Elan 7 bought for $20 body only of CL...with 70-200 on it - super lovely bokeh! Wish digital would be that good! Just keep in mind, it's not the body/lens only now but also what kind of film you use + where you develop it - all that will big difference! I started with cheap film but learned that some more recommended films produce much better results (or use chap for Lomography) Elan can do good with good film/processing and of course(!) L lenses on it..mm..like a charm. My next project to run on board flash - that's a little harder to what we have now.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Film = yawn Having shot literally at least a million frames of film in every format except 11x14 and 20x24 I have no love for going back to it.

Film and film cameras don't make great photos any more than PS actions do. Film or digital has had no effect on the way I see things. Lens focal lengths and to a lessor degree format ratios have some bearing on how I see things when behind the viewfinder.

Film processing chemicals are nasty for the environment too.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I'm loving all the info in this thread. Looks like film might be a panacea in at least a small way if not much more. Lots of positives on the Elan 7 in here. I'll be purchasing a body tonight then one way or another. Couple negative comments on the eos 3 in regards to shutter sound and AF issues. I figured all those AF points and semi weather sealed would have been a good idea. The internets say the 1v is not that much more of a camera then the Eos 3 is. The 1v looks nice, it also looks heavier. The eos 3 can take focusing screens where as I'm not sure an Elan can. Hmmmm.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

just to throw in my $.02

i bought a Mamiya TLR and a Leica M6, and started developing my own b&w and paying to have color developed. i still own the Mamiya but the M6 is gone - couldn't keep up with the developing and scanning of all that film. but i kept the TLR for several reasons:

1) 12 frames per roll means i don't shoot a million frames, and consequently don't have to develop and scan a million frames
2) since i don't put much film through it i can just pay someone else to develop it and it's not a big expense
3) the medium format really does produce an image with a different look than 35mm/full frame
4) shooting with this massive brick of a body is awesome and completely different. waistlevel finder, NO electronics, forces a completely different approach and this is fun.

so my recommendation is to get something like this and have fun with it. my mamiya cost $240 from KEH. considering in the digital world $240 buys you approximately nothing, i think it's a pretty good deal.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I've owned the EOS 3, 1n, and Elan 7e. In fact, I had all 3 of those cameras at the same time and owned the A2E as well. The only one left is the 1n. It turned out to be my favorite Canon film body. I prefer shooting 6x7 with my Pentax, but use the 1n quite a bit for 35mm color film.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Yes. And the reason why is the first few weddings I shot where I was confident, I over shot. One wedding I shot nearly 3,000 pictures all on my own.

Then I started shooting film for my personal stuff. I'd just bring an F100 with a 35 f/2 or a Mamiya 645 AF-D with an 80 f/2.8 and a roll of Portra 400.

Not that this isn't something you can't learn on digital, but I more carefully select my shots now. I wait for the right moment, instead of rapid firing for 5-6 shots in hopes of getting the good one.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:39 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

If you want true adventure, buy a Diana.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I am not sure that you will get the full "advantage" of the differences in using film v. digital if you make a lateral move into 35mm (all objections by Leica guys noted). Sort of like going from a automatic trans to a manual trans in a car...they both work and the manual is fun until it isn;t.
dmac, has a point is you want surprises and anticipation you can't beat a diana for that
Getting a medium format 645 is a middle step and 6x6 or 6x7 is where the real magic/frustration comes into play.
I would stay with the main brands like Mamiya and Hasselblad, Fuji. Avoid older Pentax 6x7 almost all have winding and mirror adhesion issues. When I worked at a rental house every Pentax 6x7 went out with two spare backup bodies. Great lenses but unreliable camera. Bronica used to be the oddball...i had one, it broke all the time never really liked it.
There are great bargains out there (A12 backs for $75) maybe because the folks who thought using film would be cool and fun and different and life changing found it it wasn't and didn't...

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:54 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I second the idea of a TLR. If you want a change I don't think that substituting silicon for celluloid is going to feel hugely different. Plus you get that medium format goodness.

Gordon

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Ok so from this thread I think I'm going to start with a film body that I can use my canon lenses with. If I like it, I'll start snooping around for a MF body. I have a strong feeling I am going to like shooting film for a little while at least.

Does anyone have any positive things to say about the eos 3?

I plan to use this for travel, hiking, and family photos. The basic weather sealing, strong build, spot metering, and better AF all seem like bonuses that are worth $100 more then an Elan. I can pick up an eos 3 for around $150-250 vs an elan 7 at $50.

The elan 7 sounds like a great camera but I have enough 1.4 primes that I really think the AF on the eos 3 would be better plus I can put a better focusing screen on it. Part of me says the extra $100 spent on the 3 will come back to me in more shots in focus. Hows my thinking here. Seems like the biggest negative on it is the shutter sound.

Thanks for the wonderful discussion!

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

flash wrote:
I second the idea of a TLR. If you want a change I don't think that substituting silicon for celluloid is going to feel hugely different. Plus you get that medium format goodness.

Gordon

When I'm ready for medium format I will most likely go with a contax 645 or similar type camera.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:24 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

If you want to change out focusing screens (and if you can't on the 7) then the EOS 3 will be a very good choice. The 3 is not a bad camera at all, it's just not as good as the 1V...but does that really matter? A 3 is a solid camera, it's just very noisy, but the sound of a 3 going off is awesome (which of course is bad for weddings but awesome for the sake of awesome as far as a photographer is concerned ;-).

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

TLR are the forgotten stepchild of photography stuff. I picked up a mint Yashica 124 for $60...I have shot a few rolls of various films...processed even fewer
Those Mamiya C33 330 are pretty old but I think I could most likely fix one with parts from home depot.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I started photography shooting digital. I always felt 'guilty' that I had it 'easy'. So I tried film in 2008. Dove right in with a Leica M6 and Zeiss lens. I tried really really hard to like film. I wanted so bad to believe all the hype I was reading about 'digital just cant touch film'. I think I might have even said that before a few times as I was trying to convince myself. Truth was that my film shots werent anywhere near as good as my digital stuff (although I did take my all time favorite photo using the Leica).

Fast forward to 2010. I missed the Leica. So I bought another one thinking I'd give film another shot. By this time, my BW digital work was really close to what I wanted. And the cost of developing film was crazy. I was spending close to $30 per 36 shots to get developed and scanned (plus the price of the roll of film). Nope. Wasnt for me.

My advice, give it a shot, you might like it

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:55 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

canerino wrote:
snipped

. And the cost of developing film was crazy. I was spending close to $30 per 36 shots to get developed and scanned (plus the price of the roll of film). Nope. Wasnt for me.

Hey at least you can't blame the camera.
To me "shooting film" means the whole nine yards. Select the proper film, shoot it, soup it, scan it (or print it). Maybe it should be a totally optical procedure, so no scanning. So sending film out for processing and $1 scans is missing most of the filmy experience.
Shooting film for many people is a little like a Japanese tea ceremony...it's about everything you do to make the tea/photo. Not necessarily the final photo.

These days if a photographer can use "I use film" as a selling point to differentiate his work (even if visually there is a tiny difference between film/pixels) from the pack, go for it

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:06 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Depth of Feel wrote:
Does anyone have any positive things to say about the eos 3?

Thanks for the wonderful discussion!

Well, I loved my EOS3. I think I was the only person who bought one who loved the eye controlled focus. I liked it better than both the EOS1n and 1V I also owned at one point. Mine never gave ma a problem, was super reliable and fun to shoot. But I'm glad it's gone.

I've tried going back a few times. Don't miss film at all. I found out that I could get more fun out of a digital rangefinder. And I'm still in with the hip young crowd because people ask me if I'm holding a film camera. (M9). Occasionally I answer, yes.

Gordon

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

EOS 3 is louder and with less reliable AF than the 1N. 1N is cheaper. 1V is more reliable and better AF + quieter shutter/advance. Go 1N if on a budget, 1V if you want the best. EOS 3 is really overrated.

Nov 14, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Joshua Gull wrote:
EOS 3 is louder and with less reliable AF than the 1N. 1N is cheaper. 1V is more reliable and better AF + quieter shutter/advance. Go 1N if on a budget, 1V if you want the best. EOS 3 is really overrated.

Joshua, it's been your posts that have inspired me the most in this thread. Not to mention the beautiful work on your site.

But, the internet in general disagrees with you about the 1n over the 3. 1n's are going for about $150+ depending on condition. So I pulled the trigger on an eos 3 which I found on ebay for $159 shipped in "excellent" condition. I know I'm going to hate that shutter sound, but I'm kind of excited to play with the eye control. After being spoiled by my 5d3 AF, I think I want the 7 cross type sensor of the eos 3. If I encounter buyers remorse I'm hoping I won't lose more then $20 on the purchase after reselling. If budget was not a concern I would absolutely have gotten the 1v as those are currently selling for $400+ in ok condition. I think if I love film I'll get a 1v later and sell the 3. And if I love film I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the 3 anyway.

Now I just need film recommendations...

Nov 14, 2013 at 02:56 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

I went through a similar situation about a year ago. Instead of changing cameras I went all manual focus and all manual on the camera. That is challenging, and has improved my overall performance. Good luck, Jim

Edited on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM · View previous versions

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

Just be sure to run a test roll through under controlled circumstances to check focus accuracy and keep in kind they all have a more archaic focus system than even the classic 5D. Even with my 1V I only truly trusted the center point. With the 3 many people don't have any focus accuracy issues at all but many people do as well (myself and a handful of other people I personally know with the 3 had unreliable AF performance). Walgreens is good for getting a quick test roll developed to ensure your body's focus is accurate.

Regarding film stocks, that to me is one of the most beautiful and fun things about film. You don't have to endlessly tweak stuff in LR for a different look. If you want more or less saturated colors or more or less contrasty B&Ws you're just a film stock swap away. So many more options to fine tune your results over a single digital sensor.

What look do you like for color (bolder saturated colors, middle of the road colors or more pastel colors) and for B&W (high, medium or low contrast and a lot, an average amount or a minimal amount of grain)?

Nov 14, 2013 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.