New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Huffy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

About 2 years ago my wife and I picked up a T2i kit to take pictures of our new baby. We eventually added a nifty fifty and Tamron 28-75, the latter of which is almost always on the camera. Flash forward to today. I recently sold some extra fish equipment a few weeks ago and picked up a Canon 6D when B&H was having its sale. The main reason for the upgrade was the advantage it offers in low light situations and because a fool and his money...

Overall, I've been really happy with the upgrade, but now I've got one more choice to make. We're in the process of selling our house and I'll have to take down the in-wall aquarium that's currently setup. I have two options: set up the aquarium in a few years when our girls start school or sell the equipment and upgrade the tamron. I have my eyes on a Tamron 24-70 and/or Tamron 70-200 (VC), depending on how much I get for the equipment.

I have two questions regarding the upgrade, assuming I get the Tamron 24-70 first.

1. Is the autofocus noticeably faster? Two year olds are frustrating to photograph, so I can use all the help I can get!

2. How much of an improvement will there be in IQ? I've included a typical example of a shot with which I'm satisfied.

ISO 200 48 mm f/4.5 1/160

~100% Crop

TLDR: Please help me justify another frivolous purchase!

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

I've had a 28 75 as well as the 24 70 VC. My copy of the 28 75 was excellent. but the 24 70 was better and the VC on it is just outstanding. I did not own them at the same time, so I'm sorry I can't help you with the faster AF question.
I really didn't have a problem with either.

If I were in your situation, and if it turns out that you can only get one, I would add the 70 200 to what I had, especially if you are happy with the IQ you're getting with it, then upgrade the 28 75 next when you can. I now have the 24 70 II and the 70 200 II and I use the 70 200 a lot more than the 24 70, but that is all in how and what you shoot.

The 70 200 is a wonderful portrait and playing in the park lens.

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

If the 24-70 VC doesn't focus a lot faster, Tamron should give it away. It uses their own version of USM, called PZD and given the 28-75 had only decent, not fast AF you shouldn't have any troubles.

Katherine how does the Tamron 24-70 AF speed compare to your Canon glass? I'd expect it to on par with USM lenses.

Nov 13, 2013 at 01:36 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

I use a 6D and a Tamron 28-75 as my holiday kit and using RAW and the LR5 profile I'm very happy with the results as they are.

I have tried my 6D with my 24-105L and found the Tam was actually better. I can't speak for the other Tamron, never tried it.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:38 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Tamron give really great value for money. I've recently picked up a copy of their real el cheapo 70-300, the £90 one not the £300 model. While it won't suit everyone, using mine stopped down it gives really surprisingly good results on static subjects (not moving children though!) for not a lot of money. You have to use it carefully for larger prints, but it gets you to 300mm on a 5D2 dramatically cheaper than anything else. While not an L, it is certainly not a toy.

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/281-tamron-af-70-300mm-f4-56-ld-di-macro-pentax-k-review--lab-test-report

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:43 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Katherine how does the Tamron 24-70 AF speed compare to your Canon glass? I'd expect it to on par with USM lenses.

I really didn't see much difference really, but then I didn't use those focal lengths for sports or wildlife.

I do like the IQ of the 24 70II better than the Tamron but the Tamron was quite good the and the VC was fantastic.

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:25 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

The VC is a huge factor in what makes this lens soar. The autofocus locks on faster than the 28-75, it rarely hunts and is nearly silent. The image quality is the same, it's just that the 24-70 is much more functional.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Huffy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Been busy at work.. I may take PCKits advice and get the 70-200 first. I find myself wanting a little more reach frequently, especially after ditching the crop sensor. My only concern is the size really.. I guess I can always toss on the nifty fifty inside, I've just gotten used to being lazy and zooming.

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

I;ve heard very good things about the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC and well worth checking out for a fraction of the Canon price.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Shield
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Huffy wrote:
About 2 years ago my wife and I picked up a T2i kit to take pictures of our new baby. We eventually added a nifty fifty and Tamron 28-75, the latter of which is almost always on the camera. Flash forward to today. I recently sold some extra fish equipment a few weeks ago and picked up a Canon 6D when B&H was having its sale. The main reason for the upgrade was the advantage it offers in low light situations and because a fool and his money...

Overall, I've been really happy with the upgrade, but now I've got
...Show more

Here's my .02 as a kid's shooter who owns the Tamron 24-70 - get a nice prime with IS, like the 24/2.8, 35/2 IS. Very speedy focus and much sharper @ f/2.8 (plus way lighter and cheaper. Or, you can't go wrong with the 40mm pancake. I have barely used the Tamron since I picked up the 24/35, and I just LOVE the 35.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I;ve heard very good things about the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC and well worth checking out for a fraction of the Canon price.

Its strange , I've heard that its not as good as the sigma (which in itself is below the canon) and here at least the sigma is quite a bit cheaper .

I think if I was looking for a 70-200 (with IS)the list would be

Canon mk2
Canon mk1
Sigma
Tamron.

As far as the Tamron 24-70 goes , I've been looking at the reviews (and as many sample images as possible) and I think I'll stick to my 24-105 L for now .

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Also if the OP is using crop then get the 17-55 IS and a 70-200 2.8 mk1

The EFs is a super lens , it was the one thing I really didn't want to have to give up when going to the 5D3 . And the 70-200mk1 is still a decent to great lens . And as the crop uses the centre of the glass your getting the best of it

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

The 28-75 has about the slowest AF i've ever used and the new tamron uses USM so I'd be shocked if the AF isn't noticeably faster on the new one.

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Its strange , I've heard that its not as good as the sigma (which in itself is below the canon) and here at least the sigma is quite a bit cheaper .

Look up any comparison- the Sigma tele-zoom with OS is almost a joke wide open, for the price. If you can't afford the Tamron and/or need faster or more accurate servo-AF performance, the 70-200/4L IS is your lens.

The Sigma really only factors in if you absolutely must have F/2.8 at any cost, and Tamron's sales have been chipping away at that mightily. It's time for Sigma to produce an Sport version in line with the 120-300/2.8 OS | S .

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamron 28-75 Upgrade

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I think if I was looking for a 70-200 (with IS)the list would be

Canon mk2
Canon mk1
Sigma
Tamron.

I think it depends upon the goal f/4 vs f/2.8 and then do you need sports-level AF or not and then do you need IS or not and whether size/weight matter. Even the 70-300L can enter into play depending upon the specific needs.

I'd take the 70-200 2.8 non-IS over the IS version I (unless you care about edge to edge detail since the 2.8 non-IS FF edges can be a little soft near wide open, they are perfection on APS-C though) as it has a LOT less purple fringing and better 200mm f/2.8 micro-contrast anywhere at all near center frame. IF you don't need IS.

If you don't care about AF but do care about f/2.8 then I'd probably put the tamron on your list in spot #2 instead of #4 (in this case just going by what I've heard and a few tests, the tamron is the one I've never personally used).

Nov 20, 2013 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.