New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 Issues

Kevin Ahearn

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 Issues

I recently picked up a 17-55mm from a member on the boards. I've been having an issue with getting sharp images when its farther away. Images taken 10 feet and closer come out focused and sharp. Anything taken past 10 feet, at infinity on the lens marker, ends up having a back focus issue. The focus ends up being a few feet behind the focus point. Is this typical of the lens or an issue that I'll need to send in for repair?

Nov 12, 2013 at 09:09 PM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 Issues

What model body do you have? Some models have an AF-fine-tune feature for just this purpose. Others don't. It's mostly the older and entry level models that don't, like D200 (older) and D3200 (entry level).

The AF Fine Tune gives you 1 adjustment per lens, on a scale of +/-20. In the unlikely event you need something like -10 at short distances, and +10 at infinity, there is no way to do that AFAIK. You have to pick the middle ground and either live with it or manual focus tweak it a lot. That's my situation with my 35/1.8 on my D300.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Kevin Ahearn

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 Issues

I'm shooting with a D7000. I did make adjustments for the short range. I guess I will have to adjust it for the longer range. Anyone know if sending it in for repair would fix it so it was good throughout?

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:44 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f2.8 Issues

First, test focus through live view contrast detect single point on a distant target... on a tripod... before starting other processes it's good to have a benchmark.

Nov 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.