Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

If you are disappointed by the DXO rating, then you should dig into their test results in more detail and you may find that the 12-40 has some very nice characteristics over the 12-35 - namely even sharpness across the frame wide open.

I find DXO's single number sharpness rating pretty useless.

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:00 AM
ebrandon
• • •
p.2 #2 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Who you gonna believe? DXO or your lyin' eyes?

Nov 15, 2013 at 09:11 AM
Wilbus
• •
p.2 #3 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Thinking about getting one purely because of the weather sealing. Also have the 12-50 which is weather sealed but of course no where near the 12-40 as far as quality goes.
Also looking at the 75mm but can't decide which one to purchase first (or add another make of system to my line-up, Fuji or Sony).

One nice thing about the 12-40 would be that it, part from a stop faster, would cover the 12mm prime and the 17mm prime, both of which I want and those two would cost a whole lot more together. Of course, the zoom is a bit slower but weather sealed and at those focal lengths the faster speed isn't all that important anyway.

Would love to see some pictures from those of you who have received it, here or in the m43 thread

Nov 15, 2013 at 03:14 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

ebrandon wrote:
Who you gonna believe? DXO or your lyin' eyes?

Both.
I have the 12-35 and I've tested a 12-40 just last weekend. DXO's detailed results are consistent with mine.
Now for their silly one number sharpness rankings - ugh!

Nov 15, 2013 at 04:39 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I have both the 12-40 and 75mm. The 75 is of course sharper, but the difference is not that much. The 12-40 has a wide range is weather sealed. The 75 with the lens hood and the 12-40 with it's lens hood are almost the same size and weight.

If you had to pick one first, unless you are concentrating on portraits the 12-40 is the better choice. If you want primarily portraits, nothing is going to beat the 75.

I've only had the 12-40 a couple of days and weather has been terrible. Here's one shot.

Red and orange leaf by bcaslis, on Flickr

Nov 15, 2013 at 05:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/207#11935352

Wilbus wrote:
Thinking about getting one purely because of the weather sealing. Also have the 12-50 which is weather sealed but of course no where near the 12-40 as far as quality goes.
Also looking at the 75mm but can't decide which one to purchase first (or add another make of system to my line-up, Fuji or Sony).

One nice thing about the 12-40 would be that it, part from a stop faster, would cover the 12mm prime and the 17mm prime, both of which I want and those two would cost a whole lot more together. Of course, the zoom is a
...Show more

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:47 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

+1. They are very different and obviously the 12-40 is a lot more versatile. The 12-40 is on my E-M1 at all times but the 75/1.8 is my hands-down favorite lens because of the sharpness/resolution and bokeh/blur quality … and the black version looks awesome on the E-M1.

bcaslis wrote:
I have both the 12-40 and 75mm. The 75 is of course sharper, but the difference is not that much. The 12-40 has a wide range is weather sealed. The 75 with the lens hood and the 12-40 with it's lens hood are almost the same size and weight.

If you had to pick one first, unless you are concentrating on portraits the 12-40 is the better choice. If you want primarily portraits, nothing is going to beat the 75.

Nov 15, 2013 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DougVaughn
• •
p.2 #8 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Just received my 12-40mm yesterday. It's definitely a winner in my book. The lens is very sharp, but I'm finding it helpful to use the 1/8th second anti-shock setting on the camera for max sharpness. Otherwise in the 1/60 to 1/125 sec range, I'm getting a little softness, but that's with all of my lenses.

The E-M1 and 12-40 do an amazing job with IBIS at 1/15 sec… something I can never achieve with my Canon gear. Here's a shot from yesterday at ISO 100, f/8, and 1/15.

Nov 17, 2013 at 02:03 AM
k-h.a.w

p.2 #9 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

DougVaughn wrote:

Just received my 12-40mm yesterday. It's definitely a winner in my book. The lens is very sharp, but I'm finding it helpful to use the 1/8th second anti-shock setting on the camera for max sharpness. Otherwise in the 1/60 to 1/125 sec range, I'm getting a little softness, but that's with all of my lenses.

The E-M1 and 12-40 do an amazing job with IBIS at 1/15 sec… something I can never achieve with my Canon gear. Here's a shot from yesterday at ISO 100, f/8, and 1/15.

http://photosbydoug.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Landscapes/i-XnFWVRt/0/XL/PB150330-XL.jpg

How do you set the 1/8th second anti-shock setting on the E-M1? Thanks.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:54 PM
MicroMan

p.2 #10 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I have the 12-40mm f/2.8 (and fast primes) and I think it's an excellent lens. Really excellent actually for a fast zoom. If you worry about small sharpness differences in the extreme corners of a photo and care a lot about dxomark numbers, you should not use a zoom in the first place. Nothing but the 75mm f/1.8 will satisfy a real pixel peeper I think. I had that one too, but I sold it for the 45mm f/1.8. 75mm is just not a very versatile/practical focal length. I never used it. Also, it's big and heavy. I think many people are tempted to buy this lens just because it scores on dxomark, but in practice it's a specialty lens that you should only buy if you really need it. The 45mm is so much more versatile and the image quality is absolutely fine. You'll save some money too.

If you actually make photos, you can't go wrong with this zoom. I've used them all, from the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 to the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 and anything in between. I also have some high quality primes. I can find nothing wrong with this Olympus 12-40mm. This lens does it all and it does it convincingly too. As a bonus, you can come extremely close to your subject with it. Almost macro, that's great, and it's stays sharp! How cool is that? Personally I only stop this lens down (maximum f/5.6) if I need greater depth of field, but not because it's not good enough wide open. It is, it's sharp and contrasty at all apertures and all focal lengths.

This lens rocks and at the moment I see no reason to take it of my camera and swap it for a prime. That says a lot, because I'm very picky when it comes to optical quality and usability. I think Olympus has hit a home run with this puppy.

Nov 17, 2013 at 04:59 PM
DougVaughn
• •
p.2 #11 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

k-h.a.w

The anti-shock adjustment is the last item on utility menu "e". You can choose anywhere from 1/8 to 1 second I think. I found 1/8 to work great, so no need to add greater lag.

Once the anti-shock is set, you can still quickly choose whether or not to use it on the control panel (OK button) where you would choose single, multi-frame, high speed, timer, etc. This is good because you can disable it if getting ready to shoot something where timing is critical, like capturing the perfect expression.

Your mileage may vary, but I've found shutter shock isn't a problem at 1/50 and below or above 1/125. This is in the 12mm to 45mm focal lengths, and I haven't tried longer lenses.

Nov 18, 2013 at 01:50 AM
mitch fennell

p.2 #12 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Those you that bought your lens from Samy's, How long did you have to wait? I have had one on order for two weeks. Every time I get antsy and check I am told 1-3 weeks. Olympus has a very generous rebate on that lens and I hope that the slow delivery does not keep me from qualifying for the rebate

Mitch

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:20 PM
httivals
• • •
p.2 #13 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

You might try with Crutchfield's. I ordered mine about 10 days ago with them. It shipped last week and I should have it tomorrow. When I ordered 10 days ago, they had two people on the wait list ahead of me. I haven't ordered from Crutchfield's before, but it gets very good reviews. You can call them and a person answers and they're very helpful. They also have an excellent return policy.

Nov 18, 2013 at 07:24 PM
fredmirandafan

p.2 #14 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Mine has been stuck in transit for days, urgh... Purolator has no idea where it is either.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password