Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

swingthis1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Has anyone seen this lens in person or used it yet? It seems to be hard to find currently as most lens are when they are released.

Scott

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:05 PM
mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

The 12-40 isn't scheduled to be released until early December, all known copies in the wild right now are either pre-production samples or early-access items provided to notable Oly shooters (like Pekka Potka, who has one).

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Not entirely true. Lensrentals has them available now. (They didn't when I had my E-M1 shipped out or I may have rented it with the E-M1.)

Nov 12, 2013 at 06:52 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #4 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I have one...got it delivered last week from Samy's Camera. Did you have questions about the lens itself or were you just curious about availability?

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:21 PM
ebrandon
• • •
p.1 #5 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I got one for my wife from B&H, one for myself from Adorama, and Samy's in San Francisco called and told me they had one (which I didn't need).

I pre-ordered the B&H and Adorama ones the day they were announced. Samy's I just happened to ask about the day before they received it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 07:34 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I used one on Sunday with a GH3 - took a series of test shots at both ends and a few apertures. Haven't had a chance to look them over yet.
Construction seems solid and it's just slightly longer/heavier than my 12-35/2.8 Pany.

Nov 12, 2013 at 08:55 PM
Geoff D F

p.1 #7 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I have one. It is available in Australia. Nice lens - exemplary build quality and ergonomics. Big for an M4/3 lens - perhaps a little bigger than Canikon APS-C kit lenses. Sharp and contrasty at all apertures and focal lengths. Works well on the EM-1 but overkill on the Pens.

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Mike Webster

p.1 #8 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Purchased about a week ago from Samy's in L.A. Sharp with good contrast. Have shot primarily between 2.8 and 4. Well made lens that balances well on E-M1.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Chuck Eklund
• • •
p.1 #9 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I picked up mine from Samy's in Santa Barbara last Thursday. Seems like a well made lens. Too early to tell about images, but they seem good based on a quick look.

Chuck

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

SLRGear tested it out and it scored exceptionally well.

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Well, I just went over my test images taken with it on a GH3, shot hand held at high shutter speeds at infinity distance. Shot RW2 so I could take all the sharpening and CA corrections away.

I must say I'm very very impressed.

At the long end it's excellent wide open, both center and far corners and stopping down might help just a tad.

On the wide end the center is excellent wide open with just a touch of softness and CA off in the corners. Stopping down to f/4 reduced the CA a lot and sharpened things up to about equal to the center. There is noticeable distortion at the wide end, but nothing unusual.

Any remaining CA cleaned up extremely well in CS6.

I did not get a chance to try any intermediate focal lengths, so there could be a sharpness drop somewhere in between.

Built really well and it's approx. the same diameter as my 12-35/2.8 while being a bit longer.

It's a winner and I may be tempted to swap it for my already excellent 12-35/2.8. I don't use OIS all that often and I plan on getting a GX-7 soon anyways.

I also tested the new 14-140 Pany and came away very impressed as well. Not quite as sharp as the 12-40 or 12-35, but it's not far off. This will be my video lens with OIS.

Nov 13, 2013 at 03:07 AM
bcaslis
• • •
p.1 #12 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I picking mine up in the morning to go with my E-M1.

Nov 13, 2013 at 05:47 AM
k-h.a.w

p.1 #13 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Tim Ashley has one and wrote a review about it on his blog.
Very positive review.

Nov 13, 2013 at 06:00 AM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #14 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Lots of people are picking them up from local camera stores around the country. Call yours, you may just get lucky.

Nov 13, 2013 at 09:01 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #15 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

jhinkey wrote:
I did not get a chance to try any intermediate focal lengths, so there could be a sharpness drop somewhere in between.

I did a test aperture series at 25mm yesterday (at infinity), and the results were excellent at all apertures. At f2.8 there is some softening in the extreme corners and some mild vignetting, but it is otherwise excellent across the frame. My impression is that it is better at 25 than it is at 40, at least wide open.

Nov 14, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Dsidote

p.1 #16 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

I picked one up from Precision Camera in Austin. The lens is fantastic in terms of optical and build quality. I tried to love it but in the end I returned it. I think the m4/3 system is best with the fast primes and the zoom, while convenient, was too big/heavy and I didn't like giving up that 1 1/3 stops compared to the primes. To me lower ISO is more important than the convenience of the zoom.

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:07 PM
VilleK
• •
p.1 #17 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

It is also available in Finland.

I got mine yesterday.

It's kinda big for E-M5 without the grip but with HLD-6 it's just fine

Nov 14, 2013 at 04:15 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Sure. Got mine 2 weeks ago from Keeble and Shuchat. They are out there, just need to call around from Coast to Coast. With the EM1 and grip it feels like a sculpted piece of smooth magnesium. The lens feels all pro. NO slop and very precise. Even the manual ring. The nice matched hood and you're good to go. Sharp as all getout wide open to begin with. Instant to focus as well, even in lower light in my living room from what I'm finding out.

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:11 PM
serhan_
• •
p.1 #19 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

Oly 12-40mm DXO Review

Nov 14, 2013 at 05:49 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro - Has Anyone gotten one yet?

The 12-40 PRO lens received a DXO rating of only 19 (same as the Panasonic 12-35 lens) or 2 points above the Zuiko 60 macro lens. Quite disappointing IMO when you think that Zuiko 75/1.8 lens is rated at 23 and the P/L 25/1.4 lens is 21. I had expected it to be as good as the 25/1.4.

Then again, you could say that the 12-40 is rated higher than the 60 macro which is incredibly sharp with almost no distortion. It is also rated higher than the very respectable Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8L which scored only 16.

serhan_ wrote:
Oly 12-40mm DXO Review

Nov 14, 2013 at 07:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password